WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think Mag 7 opens to 50M and Storks 35M

That would be a great opening for Storks. It would basically lock 100m which is very good considering WB probably spent around 50-60m on it. With OS it would look at a nice profit.

Really good preview numbers for both films! Pets is doing just fine for an original film, and Mike & Dave could actually come close to $20 million or so for the weekend which is quite solid considering the fact that Zac Efron/Adam Devine/Aubrey Plaza/Anna Kendrick aren't monster draws anyway.

• Like 1

I do wonder if Illumination will tackle a live action film anytime soon? They had Hop which did okay considering how bad the reviews were but I think a $75-80m  live action family film with the marketing muscle of Illumination and Universal with an appealing concept could break out. 

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

They milked the appeal of the concept for all it was worth in marketing and cleverly hid the

Hide contents

significantly less interesting conceit of an "underground" gang of strays

Does it count if they revealed that in trailers?

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It'll be interesting to see if Storks, Moana, Trolls and Sing can be solid hits. I think Storks will be over $100m for sure and I think Sing while I think it won't reach the heights of Pets and DM/Minions will be $140-150m domestically unless it really sucks

Don't forget Kubo;)

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The second trailer was a massive improvement on the teaser so it could go either way. Storks I think will be in the same range as the other September animated films, it depends on how M7 and Miss Peregrine does OW wise. 

Storks - 44m

Trolls - 38m

Those are my opening weekend predictions for both.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I guess the monster success of SLOP shows people really do prefer familiar concepts and we can't blame the studios. 

Certainly turned out for Zootopia, Jungle Book, Dory, SLOP and Civil War this year. But, a movie like Deadpool shows a refreshing interest from the GA. Then, again, aside from being R and breaking the 4th wall, it's CBM formula through and through.

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Storks - 44m

Trolls - 38m

Those are my opening weekend predictions for both.

$44m would be very good for WAG and Storks but I think it'll mid to high $30m especially against M7 which I think has a shot of breaking the September record

Good god. Imagine how the last six pages would have been if the movie had been titled "Fantastic Life of Pets" :lol:

Also, solid for Mike and Dave. I said I'd be happy with 1.2M+ so... I'm happy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$44m would be very good for WAG and Storks but I think it'll mid to high $30m especially against M7 which I think has a shot of breaking the September record

Mid 30's seems about right for Storks.

A few comments about the RT scores issue:

- They are not so reliable because they also include the want to see index and they count them as votes so don't read into them so much

- Minions had a 49% audience score (pretty bad) yet did a 2.9x multi. 

- Peanurs had a 77% audience score (good) but also did a 2.9x multi. (and grossed less than expected)

- Angry birds had a 51% audience score and also did 2.8-2.9x multi.

- HTYD2 had a 90% audience score and ended up a bit below expectations

So I don't think we should read into it that much into that when it comes to animated films because kids don't vote on these.

• Like 1