WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Too far away. Unless they just take money from Pets and Bourne it won't get there.

Who here had Tarzan over Independence Day 2? I'm genuinely shocked, in a good way, by its performance. Always nice to see a movie literally everyone had written off have a good box office run.

I think almost everyone predicted $40-60 million DOM total for it. It surpassed that in 7 days. 

Definitely a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, Tarzan would have been considered a solid performer, i mean it's going to beat IDR, Alice, TMNT 2,  Warcraft and Angry Birds. No one predicted that at the start of the summer. But WB shot themselves in the foot with that 180m budget. 

Now it will just break even at best. 

Edited by babz06

Thoughts on the weekend:

Holy moly, The Secret Life of Pets. I knew it was gonna be big but I wasn't expecting the original animated opening record to fall. Truly the year of "go big or go home".

Pretty good hold for The Legend of Tarzan, which is now on track for around $125M total. Finding Dory got hit by Pets a bit but is already a smash hit.

Good opening for Mike and Dave. Looking to become a solid midrange summer performer ala Friends with Benefits.

The Purge fell hard but that was a given. Central Intelligence has become one of the few endurable movies of the summer. Independence Day continues fade fast on account of being a giant piece of shit. The BFG is Spielberg's first bomb in a very long time.

Good start for Captain Fantastic.

• Like 2

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

Finding Dory has swum past the $600m mark globally, with its $423m North American bow making it the biggest film of 2016 in the market.

Overseas, the latest Disney/Pixar outing grossed $29.7m from its 40 territories for $220.2m to date. In South Korea, it recorded the highest opening weekend for a Pixar release with $7.1m, while in Taiwan, it posted a chart-topping $1.9m.

Holdover-wise, Finding Dory added $3.8m in Australia with a fall of only 8% to retain the top spot for the fourth straight weekend and reach $30.1m and in Brazil, it posted a $5.1m second weekend for $17.1m so far.

The results mean that The Walt Disney Studios has reached the $5bn threshold at the global box office in industry record time, and marks the second consecutive year that Disney has done so.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Just want to say that I am so happy for Illumination's success. Making movies on under 100 million budget and delivering uber blockbuster profits that even Pixar/WDA would be jealous of. 

Chris Meledandri, the owner of Illumination Animation, was let go by Fox. Once again, this shows the incompetence of Fox. They could have had these big hits, but lack of vision and eye for UBER blockbuster successes is the reason why their animation division is also grossly under performing. With Ice Age 5 all set to gross under 100 million domestic and dropping hard even internationally, they will be left with no cash cow animation franchise. All their other outputs haven't delivered big time at the boxoffice even with good reviews. Won't be surprised if Blue-Sky closes down one day. 

If any Fox employee/exec reads these threads, all I want to say is HAHAHA.  Serves you right.

Meledandri wasn't let go, he decided he wanted to start his own company and did so by Universal. Blue Sky isn't likely to shut down anyway, Ice Age 5 will still make enough profit to fund one more sequel and original film. I would argue Sony Pictures Animation is more in danger as they've yet to have a hit over $200m domestic, their highest grossing film WW is The Smurfs which isn't even fully animated. 

While Disney/Pixar and Illumination are top of the food chain, I think Warner Animation Group might be a challenger, Storks probably won't be a uber hit but they seem to have a clear idea of what their movies are about tone wise.

41 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of LAIKA becoming the most exciting animation franchise today. Even their weakest film so far (THE BOXTROLLS) had a lot of really strong points. I loved CORALINE and PARANORMAN, and I'm very excited about KUBO.

Laika is very good but I think Aardman edges them simply because they've produced films that are both funny and with heart but both studios are very different from each. Laika is more weird and daring and not afraid to scare whereas Aardman is more gentle with a wry sense of humour. 

• Like 1

TS3 had a 21.0m 4th weekend and added 76m more to it's cume.

IO had a 17.7m 4th weekend and added 72m more to it's cume.

DORY had a 20.35m 4th weekend and is 77m away from 500m

Considering that DORY,

- will recover the coming weekend as this weekend was off an inflated ID weekend,

- was against PETS ow,

- if it gets ~72m more for ~495m Disney will push it over, and most importantly,

- it's weekdays have been superior to IO and TS3 even % wise partly thanks to Discount Tue getting bigger every year,

I don't see it missing 500m.

Keep an eye on Mon-Thu. TS3 made 11.7m Mon-Thu after a 21m weekend.

Despite a smaller weekend than TS3, I bet Dory will do more Mon-Thu

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, movieboner said:

SLOP hit Dory hard this weekend. I hope SLOP drops more than 60% next weekend due to bad wom.

I doubt it'll drop that hard, I'm thinking 50% is more likely, a drop similar to Minions would be pretty bad considering it's not a sequel. 

I don't think WOM is bad, mixed at best as it wasn't a terrible film, just unremarkable

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pets is also the biggest opening ever for a movie not based at all on pre-existing materials. Take a moment to let THAT sink in.

Ehh it's enough of a Toy Story retread that it could count as a remake :P

Great for Illumination who financially is up there with Pixar as the animation studio to beat. Kinda shitty we can't get a breakout hit that isn't Disney or CGI (Tarzan would count at this point but holy smokes that budget!) but maybe the rest of the month can come through. 

• Like 1

Geeze what a monster hit this was for illumination studios. Their marketing team and creative team has been on a roll recently. Guess we'll be getting a 2nd one in 2018? I didn't like the film, but I knew it'd do well. Animated movies have been on crack this year. I was thinking around 70-80 mil ow, but not this high! 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The bombs of Summer 2016 so far are:

Independence Day: Resurgence, TMNT2: Out of the Shadows, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Warcraft, Popstar and The BFG.

Warcraft bombed domestically but WW, like Tarzan,  it might break even with 2/3d of O/S coming from China.

If you're adding Popstar then you might as well add Free State Of Jones and probably The Nice Guys

Just now, FilmBuff said:

Geeze what a monster hit this was for illumination studios. Their marketing team and creative team has been on a roll recently. Guess we'll be getting a 2nd one in 2018? I didn't like the film, but I knew it'd do well. Animated movies have been on crack this year. I was thinking around 70-80 mil ow, but not this high! 

2019 is probably more likely, I imagine they'll want an original film or Minions 2.