grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

8 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Well I saw my first movie in theaters when I was 3.  It was The SpongeBob Movie.  Makes me wonder if that's why I have the strange obsession I do now...

...The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie was playing when I had my first job at the cinema at the age of 16.

Now I feel old. :kitschjob:

Edited by goldenstate5

Just now, Baumer said:
Spoiler

Just for the hell of it, take a look at it this way.

Pet's made 104 mill opening weekend. 

By the end of its second weekend, it's grossed 203 million.

That means from it's first Monday to it's second Sunday, it grossed 95% of what it did opening weekend.

Zootopia grossed 75 million in its first weekend.

By the end of the second weekend, it had grossed 143 million.

That's 90% of what it grossed opening weekend.

Jungle Book grossed 103 million OW

By the end of the second weekend, it was at 192 million

This means it grossed 85% of what it did OW.

Inside Out opened to 90 million

By the end of the second weekend it was at 185 million

105% of what it did OW

Finding Dory:  135

111% of the opening weekend.

The Lego Movie:  69 OW

Second weekend total:  130 mill

88% of it's OW

Big Hero 6:  56 OW

110 after two weekends

96% more after first weekend.

Brave:  66 OW

131 second weekend 

98%

So you see my point here.  IO and Dory are definitely the exception, not the rule.  When you have animated films, it isn't necessarily about what they drop in their second weekend, it's the ration of what they did from their first until the second weekend is up.  Dory and IO are freaks, no doubt, but Pets 95% addition is better than both Zootopia and Jungle Book.  So to say that Illumination needs to watch their marketing budget and that they are more frontloaded than other animated films, is false.  The reason it fell 52% this weekend is because the summer weekdays were so strong, it burned off demand.  Where as when you have spring films, they fall less on the weekends because the demand was not met during the week. So Illumination has no misstep.  I have no idea if it will pass Zootopia or catch JB.  I do know, or at least feel that it will get to about Zootopia's number. Regardless of what it does, it's an outstanding success and if you want to chalk part of that up to marketing, then I have no problem with that.  They made Pets the second biggest film of the summer.  That's impressive.  So I'm just pointing out that sometimes, you have to go a little deeper with the numbers if you want to get the real story.  

Misleading comparisons all around. Summer movies have stronger weekdays than Spring/Fall movies (relatively speaking). So if two movies have the same WOM, one in Summer and the other in Spring, then the Summer one will likely have a better 10 day multi but it will also slow down much faster (as it demands get satiated faster thanks to the weekdays) leading to both of them having a similar multi in the end (excluding the effect of holidays and such). In other words, if a Summer movie has a 10 day multi of 2.0 and a Spring One has a 10 day multi of 1.9, then it's very likely that the Summer movie will end up with a significantly worse multi. Let's look at your comparisons, but this time with the 10 day multi (in brackets) and the final multi:

Pets: (1.95) x???

Zootopia: (1.90) x4.55

Jungle Book: (1.85) x3.50*

Inside Out: (2.05) x3.94

Finding Dory: (2.11) x3.65*

The Lego Movie: (1.88) x3.73

Toy Story 3: (2.06) x3.76

Big Hero 6: (1.96) x3.96

The Lorax: (1.76) x3.05

Brave: (1.98) x3.58

Minions: (1.86) x2.90

*estimated

From that, we can see that, besides a few cases, a movie in Summer (in bold) needs to have a significantly stronger 10 day multi than a non Summer one to end up with a similar or higher multi.

All of this was basically to say that, comparing Summer to non Summer this early in a movie's run makes no sense. We have other movies released in Summer that we can easily compare Pets to. And it's legs, at least so far, are definitely lagging compared to them.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Why is Sony taking so long? Taking money from Shallows and giving it to GB?

They better not!! I want The Shallows to leg its way to $60M and it had a good hold this weekend. 

Anyways Sony has gone all out for the screenings for The Shallows in the UK and Australia. Giving out pizza, beer and margaritas the moment folks walked in. They want everyone to just have a grand ole time. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Hard to do when Shallows was the one benefiting from the drive in double bill.

Nah. Folks were going to watch The Shallows and then watched Ghostbusters to go along with it. :ph34r: Sony secretly attached Ghostbusters to The Shallows for that reason. 

12 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Why is Sony taking so long? Taking money from Shallows and giving it to GB?

they should realize they have a better franchise with the Shallows than GB.  It's cheaper and would them more profit

Plus the titles write themselves.  Shallows 2: Shallower, Shallows 3, even more shallow than before and so on :P 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1