baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think it's a given that the only studio that will be shut down by the end of the decade is The Weinstein Company.

It would be hilarious to see Disney buy their library back :lol: 

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Does WB even have a billion dollar franchise, bro?

Cause Universal has at least 3.

First of all, it will have 2 this year - SS and FB. Second - why are we talking about billion dollar franchises? Studios want money. It doesn't matter if a movie hits a billion or not as long as it makes them. WB is really good at turning huge profits from small budget movies (Conjuring, Lights Out, CI, MBY, Lego etc.). So yeah, they are bigger because their business model is better.  

Edited by James

Paramount needs to either re-think their strategy, or get the rights to a different popular brand, or make an original blockbuster that's hopefully a hit. Turtles is dead, Transformers will eventually go the way of Ice Age 2-3 more films down the line, and they have done surprisingly little with Hansel and Gretel.

2 minutes ago, James said:

First of all, it will have 2 this year - SS and FB. Second - why are we talking about billion dollar franchises? Studios want money. It doesn't matter if a movie hits a billion or not as long as it makes them. WB is really good at turning huge profits from small budget movies (Conjuring, Lights Out, CI, MBY, Lego etc.). So yeah, they are bigger.  

It hasn't been easy to cross 1 billion this year so I wouldn't count on both SS and FB crossing 1 billion. The Harry Potter spin off has a better chance but it's far from a sure thing.

And if you have 2 movies that make 1.5 billion, that's an assload of profit.

I bet Lionsgate wish they had a couple billion dollar franchises.

If they released Avatar it would put them in alot better shape than if they released The Conjouring 2.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Paramount needs to either re-think their strategy, or get the rights to a different popular brand, or make an original blockbuster that's hopefully a hit. Turtles is dead, Transformers will eventually go the way of Ice Age 2-3 more films down the line, and they have done surprisingly little with Hansel and Gretel.

The movie world is dominated by IP right now. Sony, Paramount, Lionsgate are in a position where they don't have any huge IP rights. Legendary has IP which only seems to play well in China. I'm surprised no one has made a play for Image comics characters yet, a Spawn reboot could work well now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, James said:

First of all, it will have 2 this year - SS and FB. Second - why are we talking about billion dollar franchises? Studios want money. It doesn't matter if a movie hits a billion or not as long as it makes them. WB is really good at turning huge profits from small budget movies (Conjuring, Lights Out, CI, MBY, Lego etc.). So yeah, they are bigger because their business model is better.  

I kind of does, especially when WB is terrible at handling blockbuster budgets, I mean Tarzan is doing really well for what it is, but is still most likely going to lose the studio money becuase of it's insane budget.  BvS's actual budget is around $300m I believe. and who knows how much they put into that. Captain America Civil War was made for $250m. and has twice as many established actors in the film. plus it did kind of cross $1b. Pan $150m, Jupiter Ascending $176m. those movies had no business have those kind of budgets. your right though Wb is pretty good at marketing and handling their smaller films. but Universal's biggest hits of last year well all made more under $200m. and had insane profits, JW: $150m budget gross $1.67b Furious 7 $190m budget gross $1.516b Millions $76m budget gross $1.159b. FSOG Budget $40m. gross $571m. not to mention Secret life of Pets budgeted at $75m and is going to well over $300m domestically alone. WB may come back on top, but Universal is the clear winner at the moment.

• Like 3

The director of Lights Out is in the week-end box office thread on reddit, and asked a couple days ago our predictions for Lights Out.

Pretty sick seeing this, he's really following this closely :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4tfiei/na_any_predictions_for_lights_out/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4u3ddf/domestic_thursdays_numbers_are_in_star_trek_55/

I mean, I already follow box office quite a lot, imagine if I was the director of an upcoming movie. I think I'd have a heart attack :ph34r: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Well they have Star Trek. All three of these movies have had glowing reviews, for now, two of the three have done well at the box office and people like or even love the movies. Good word of mouth will carry Beyond to making it three for three at the box office. And they've already announced a fourth movie with Hemsworth returning as James' father. Star Trek isn't going anywhere and that's only good news. 

Edited by DealWithIt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It hasn't been easy to cross 1 billion this year so I wouldn't count on both SS and FB crossing 1 billion. The Harry Potter spin off has a better chance but it's far from a sure thing.

And if you have 2 movies that make 1.5 billion, that's an assload of profit.

I bet Lionsgate wish they had a couple billion dollar franchises.

If they released Avatar it would put them in alot better shape than if they released The Conjouring 2.

That is a pretty simple way to look at it. Of course it is good for studios to have billion dollar franchises, but when we talk yearly BO and especially when we talk DOM, that franchise is just a small of the business (unless you talk SW). For example, according to Deadline, WB made more (excluding merchandise) profit from Conjuring than from The Hobbit 2 (a 960m movie). I really don't get it why we even have this argument. A look at the yearly grosses is enough to show which studio is bigger. 

How other studios are holding up this year for profits (using double the budget unless stated and rounding off to the nearest whole number):

Disney:

Finest Hours: -75M (Per Bob Iger)

Zootopia: +723M

Jungle Book: +588M

Civil War: +651M

Alice: -63M

Dory: +328M (So far)

BFG: Best case scenario is -50M, worst case -70M. Let's say -60M.

Total: +2.1B

WB:

How to Be Single: +36M

Midnight Special: -30M

BVS: +373M

Barbershop: +15M

Keanu: -9M

The Nice Guys: -39M

Me Before You: +133M

The Conjuring: +222M

Central Intelligence: Will end up around +30M as Universal handled the foreign gross

Tarzan: Let's be optimistic and say -80M

Total: +651M

Fox:

Kung Fu Panda: +230M

Deadpool: +666M :jeb!: 

X-Men: +178M

IDR: +13M (so far)

Mike and Dave: Probably won't make much money in the remaining countries so let's say -10M

Total: +1.077B

Sony:

The Fifth Wave: +41M

Risen: +6M

Grimsby: -45M

Miracles From Heaven: +48M

Money Monster: +37M

Angry Birds: +197M

The Shallows: Should end around 70M WW so let's say +36M

Ghostbusters: Probably will end up losing or gaining nothing.

Total: +320M

Universal: 

Ride Along: +44M

Hail Caesar: +19M

Big Fat Wedding: +54M

The Boss: +21M

The Huntsman: -65M

Neighbors: +34M

Popstar: -30M

Warcraft: Who fucking knows :lol: 

The Purge: +60M (so far)

SLOP: +126M (so far)

Total: +263M

1. Disney: +2.1B

2. Fox: +1.077B

3. WB: +651M

4. Sony: +320M

5. Universal: +263M

6. Paramount: -98M

Sony could end up ahead of Universal if Mag 7, Passengers, and Sausage Party do great. Not doing Lionsgate but let's just say NYSM saved their ass :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, James said:

That is a pretty simple way to look at it. Of course it is good for studios to have billion dollar franchises, but when we talk yearly BO and especially when we talk DOM, that franchise is just a small of the business (unless you talk SW). For example, according to Deadline, WB made more (excluding merchandise) profit from Conjuring than from The Hobbit 2 (a 960m movie). I really don't get it why we even have this argument. A look at the yearly grosses is enough to show which studio is bigger. 

If I can almost match your total box office revenue with half the amount of movies, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who will see more profit after you deduct marketing and production budgets.

Universal is making almost as much as WB with just over half the amount of movies.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Like I already said, 95% of the audiences who saw STID didn't care about all this or weren't even aware.

It s really a tempest in a teapot IMO.

And your statement is as utterly ridiculous now as it was the first time you said it.

Sure, a franchise that even in it's depths of mediocrity had 10-15 million hard core Trekkies attending them is now suddenly rebooted and out of 27 million tickets sold less than 1.5 million are actually Star Trek fans.  Okay, sure . . . . that math works . . . . in bizzaro world maybe.

20 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The director of Lights Out is in the week-end box office thread on reddit, and asked a couple days ago our predictions for Lights Out.

Pretty sick seeing this, he's really following this closely :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4tfiei/na_any_predictions_for_lights_out/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4u3ddf/domestic_thursdays_numbers_are_in_star_trek_55/

I mean, I already follow box office quite a lot, imagine if I was the director of an upcoming movie. I think I'd have a heart attack :ph34r: 

That's really cool. Congrats to the director! Gonna be a nice success, both critically and financially.

Edited by Jayhawk

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

That's really cool. Congrats to the director! Gonna be a nice success, both critically and financially.

Someone should tell this guy to join BOT. He could have fun in this thread.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1