baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Star Trek is historically a weak performer overseas, but I am hoping it beats ID2 worldwide. IA6 is doing poorly overseas. Will do less than half of the last movie.

Lol, no it won't. That would be 355m and it will do way past that.

23 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Saw Lights Out last night.  Overall a good and creepy little horror film.  Maria Bellos character was major lolz but it was effective and fun.  Also appreciated the short run time.  Our independent theater here has been closed all year for renovations and it reopened today.  They're showing a midnight showing of Green Room and I think I'm gonna check it out, anyone catch that?

Green Room is a fantastic film. One of the best I've seen this year.

I could physically feel the tension and dread.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wow, this weekend is boring. No meltdowns or anything!

Star Trek has its fans but they are old and tired so no energy for fanboys wars.

And nobody gives a crap about Ice Tea 5.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Star Trek has its fans but they are old and tired so no energy for fanboys wars.

And nobody gives a crap about Ice Tea 5.

:ph34r:

So most of Star Trek's fans are Tele's age? Good to know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wow, this weekend is boring. No meltdowns or anything!

Well I think we're still weirded out about Ghostbusters not having a winner between the supporters and the detractors, there's a box-office hangover going on. Plus the new thread ban rules are pretty tough.

Just got out of STB. I had a bad movie going experience with the serving staff,bc they messed up our order and we sat next to a person who chomped popcorn really loudly. Probably just stick with the typical balcony seating next time. Anyways, I really liked the movie. It's about on par with the Into Darkness. B/B+ would be my grade. Character arcs were kind of left at the door in the 3rd act, and the main villain although played brilliantly by Idris Elba, his motivation fell flat for me. Turned into a big CGI fest at the end. Which seems to be the theme in these series of films?! I had some big problems with the third act. I would see in iMax for sure. 

Edited by FilmBuff

My wife and I are waiting in the theater for Star Trek to start in almost half an hour (she's right now checking with the sitter to make sure all is well with Jr. before the movie starts). When we arrived some dude wearing a Trump '16 shirt was heading in with two friends to see that Hillary Clinton thing. They might as well had lit their $35 on fire in the parking lot.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

If IA5 does 65m, amazingly it's drop off from the predecessor won't be the top 3 of the year.

1. ALICE 2 (334=>77) 334 = 77 x 4.34

2. MBFGW 2 (241=>60) 241 = 60 X 4.02

3. ID 2 (306=>104*) 306 = 104 X 2.94

4. NEIGHBOURS 2 (150=>55) 150 = 55 x 2.73

5. IA5 (161=>65) 161 = 65 x 2.48

6. TMNT 2 (191=>81) 191 = 81 x 2.36

*Have assumed 104 dom for ID2. Looking at inflation, it's a more epic drop than ALICE 2 but one can argue that an ID2 that had released 5 years after ID1 would have done much better.

Ignoring movies with a 10+ year gap,

1. ALICE 2 (334=>77) 334 = 77 x 4.34

2. NEIGHBOURS 2 (150=>55) 150 = 55 x 2.73

3. IA5 (161=>65) 161 = 65 x 2.48

4. TMNT 2 (191=>81) 191 = 81 x 2.36

Which is kinda why I expected IA5 to do $60-80 million after minimal buzz, OS underperformance and the breakout of Pets/Dory. 

The underperformance of multiple sequels this summer doesn't help matters. Would love to see Pete's Dragon and Kubo both finish above IA5 DOM. If BFG had, too, that would have been quite a story :huh:

3 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

Both Star Trek and Bourne next weekend should be fairly backloaded since they're targeting older audiences. So I don't think a potentially lower OW for them should be cause for Panic. That being said, Trek will probably meet expectations anyway.

Bourne 5, yes. Trek 3 - so-so IMO. 

Bourne 5 will drop 55% against Suicide Squad, but will benefit from Ben-Hur being the only other major film for its demo until September 23rd. I could see a 3.5x-4x even from a $55-65 million OW. 

Trek 3 would, but Bourne 5 and Suicide Squad back-to-back pretty much guarantees back-to-back 50-55% weekend drops. Even with strong late legs, that would only get it to 2.8x-3x IMO. 

Both will succeed and hopefully end up in the $150-250 million range. We need more mid-level blockbusters instead of just $330 million+ gargantuans. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Green Room is a fantastic film. One of the best I've seen this year.

I could physically feel the tension and dread.

if it gets your vote for horror then I'm sold.  I'm sure you did but have you seen Hush on netflix?  I stumbled on it last week and thought it was GREAT.