baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Given how big the budget of ST is, $60m is somewhat not enough, even we add in the international revenue, the result is still not really impressive~
I thought there would be some sci-fi demand or people get thirsty for sci-fi as marketplace now are full with talking animal and superhero~

48 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Do the Treks ever justify the ridiculous budgets these things have?

Nope

I think Trek is more of a legacy franchise now which boosts ancillaries with every new movie. Licensing for the TV show, merchandising, sales of DVDs, Blu-Ray sets and digital copies of the deep Trek library along with new licensing deals and TV rights renegotiated is probably a strong enough package for the license to keep going.  

If it didn't break out OS till now, it won't any more.

(Captain Hindsight alert) In hindsight, I guess Paramount letting JJ go to make Super 8 instead of putting out STID in 2011 was probably where the momentum on the franchise was lost.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think Trek is more of a legacy franchise now which boosts ancillaries with every new movie. Licensing for the TV show, merchandising, sales of DVDs, Blu-Ray sets and digital copies of the deep Trek library along with new licensing deals and TV rights renegotiated is probably a strong enough package for the license to keep going.  

If it didn't break out OS till now, it won't any more.

We just need Justin Lin to take a few cracks at it. Beyond is Tokyo Drift of franchise, and he will make it explode one day!

Fast and Furious = Adding Hemsworth

Star Trek 5, add the Rock!

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Worth a reminder that we don't have a clue what Paramount's books look like. 

But they can't be that good; Cloverfield is the only movie that gave them a profit this year (maybe TMNT due to toys).

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I actually think Star Trek might go back to TV. The budgets remain as high as ever but the movies are making less and less

What are you talking about? Trek IS going back to TV. But that is separate from the movie business.

It will be interesting to see how well Star Trek:Beyond will hold up in the weeks to come. I think that Beyond and Jason Bourne could help bring some money in for August as well and of course Suicide Squad. August is going to be exciting(hopefully). July could actually make $1.2 billion or even $1.3 billion if the dailies are solid and the last weekend of July's top 12 is at about $160 million or so. Considering that there should be about 6 films north of $10 million. Three north of $20 million. 

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Do the Treks ever justify the ridiculous budgets these things have?

Nope

even as a fan of the series, i totally agree.  I'm guessing a huge chunk of it is salary? i've always been curious about the cost of cgi, when films like chronicle can be produced vs something 150 plus.

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But they can't be that good; Cloverfield is the only movie that gave them a profit this year (maybe TMNT due to toys).

We don't know any of that. In particular, Star Trek is such a huge franchise spread across such a variety of platforms that we really don't know. But since Paramount has already announced ST4, that indicates they're fairly happy with how NuTrek is performing overall.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

We don't know any of that. In particular, Star Trek is such a huge franchise spread across such a variety of platforms that we really don't know. But since Paramount has already announced ST4, that indicates they're fairly happy with how NuTrek is performing overall.

Sony announced TASM3, TASM4 and Sinister Six before TASM2 opened. This this mean they were happy with 700-750M WW total? <_<

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Worth a reminder that we don't have a clue what Paramount's books look like. 

They look like shit. They barely release movies at all lol. They are going to do a Bumblebee spin-off!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Sony announced TASM3, TASM4 and Sinister Six before TASM2 opened. This this mean they were happy with 700-750M WW total? <_<

Despite TASM2's underperformance, it was still profitable for them. And, once profitable, any library title is basically a low-level license to print money -- especially when it's part of a franchise and helps drive money to all the other related titles.

• Like 3

Just now, Telemachos said:

Despite TASM2's underperformance, it was still profitable for them. And, once profitable, any library title is basically a low-level license to print money -- especially when it's part of a franchise and helps drive money to all the other related titles.

Not profitable enough since they decided to go and beg Marvel to let Spider-Man play with The Avengers.

• Like 1