baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

1 hour ago, DAR said:

Looking at the audience scores for STID I think we need to hold back on the myth it was poorly received.

The GA enjoyed the movie. It was only a small minority of die hard ST fans that disliked it really. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, babz06 said:

Those films did not have to contend with Star Wars. Rogue one will take a lot of the attention away and should make at least 300m. Sing will be the family movie of December , should do at least 150m. Stars aren't the main attraction for films anymore, Sony has to really sell Passengers and they don't have the best marketing team. I think 130m is a safe prediction because the holidays will help it out. If it gets Oscar's attention then I'll up that number. Assassin's Creed will be lucky to make 50m.

Passengers will tell us, so long as it is decent, whether you are right about ALL stars.  A bad picture isn't going to be a blockbuster with anyone, but I personally think a decent/good film with Jennifer Lawrence will do a whole lot better than without her.  Chris Pratt is also well liked, and the two of them together is a draw in itself, imho.

I guess we'll find out in December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Star Trek did just fine. It helps that Paramount has nothing else, but Star Trek 4 should happen. Hopefully they'll hire someone better at marketing so we get more stuff like this:

And less like this:

I don't remember seeing the '09 trailers before --- and they are terrific.  I liked and unliked your post just so I could like it again.

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

The GA enjoyed the movie. It was only a small minority of die hard ST fans that disliked it really. 

I'm GA and I liked it, but not nearly as much as '09, and less than Beyond.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chaz said:

So Dory only has $30 million left in the tank, even with a $7.2 million weekend?

"Only?"  Getting to 490m is still like a 5x multi off of this weekend. Hardly anything to sneeze at. It will need a ton of help from Disney with a big expansion push to get to 500, and probably some fudging even still in all honesty. 

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Couple issues with comparing ST to F&F though.

1. They don't have The Rock and Vin Deisel. 

2. They can't really reinvent the franchise, it is what it is. I don't know if they can bring in a lot of new ticket buyers.

3. They don't have tuna.

tumblr_nrnuq84bPo1qzfq84o1_500.jpg

:ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

13615248_1722285671358263_88763704356932

Speaking of which, my theater is a PokeStop and they have a sign up now saying "Catch Pokemon in the lobby, NOT in the auditoriums" with a red-circle-slash over Pikachu lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Star Trek did just fine. It helps that Paramount has nothing else, but Star Trek 4 should happen. Hopefully they'll hire someone better at marketing so we get more stuff like this:

you forgot this one 

that whole Tickets and Concessions thing at the same counter makes me dread our closest multi-plex.... NO ticket windo even for busy days and no kiosk for those of us who pre-buy either. So like when we saw Dory I stood in the line for over 30mins to get our pre-bought stubs while others were ordering tixs and popcorn - very annoying.

• Like 1

In contrast to its indifferent performance in North America, Warner Bros/Village Roadshow’s adventure reboot is enjoying a solid run internationally, where it added an estimated $44.7m from 61 markets to reach $145.7m.

WARNER BROS PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

The Legend Of Tarzan debuted strongly in China on $27.1m from the first six days to rank second behindSkiptrace, Brazil at number one on $3.3m, and Spain at number one on $1.8m.

Romance Me Before You added $4m from 49 markets for $126.7m and stands at $16.6m in Brazil, $14.5m in Germany and $13.6m in the UK.

The Conjuring 2 used a $3.9m haul from 55 to surge to $208.8m. Mexico remains the lead market on $20.3m followed by the UK on $15.2m.

FOX INTERNATIONAL

Ice Age: Collision Course added $30.3m from 60 markets to reach $178.9m and soothe executives’ pain over the dismal North American debut.  That said, top brass said the franchise has crossed $3bn worldwide to rank as the biggest animation series of all time.

France led the way on a $4.1m second weekend hold for $12.7m, while Russia added $2.9m for $11.2m.

PARAMOUNT PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

Star Trek Beyond, the number one film in North America this weekend, grossed $30m from its first 37 markets, ranking number one in 16.

The UK led the way on $6.1m in second place, while Germany delivered a $4.5m number one debut.

The sci-fi adventure grossed $3.2m from 184 Imax screens.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadowsadded $1.4m from 20 markets for $154.1m, with China on $59.1m.

Full article is here

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/the-legend-of-tarzan-rules-international-on-45m/5106983.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 1