baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Beyond was tons of fun. Sold out crowd seemed to love it. Lin really has a sense of scale that most directors seem to lack.

You are my movie soulmate. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think Trek is more of a legacy franchise now which boosts ancillaries with every new movie. Licensing for the TV show, merchandising, sales of DVDs, Blu-Ray sets and digital copies of the deep Trek library along with new licensing deals and TV rights renegotiated is probably a strong enough package for the license to keep going.  

If it didn't break out OS till now, it won't any more.

(Captain Hindsight alert) In hindsight, I guess Paramount letting JJ go to make Super 8 instead of putting out STID in 2011 was probably where the momentum on the franchise was lost.

I think Trek's issue is that the right are split between CBS and Paramount and CBS wants to promote the original franchise as it still sells and the upcoming 2017 series Star Trek: Discovery while Paramount wants to promote the films and its tie-ins. 

Star Trek Beyond was a lot of fun! First act was a bit slow but it quickly picks up the pace. Another movie in the 2016 "B" pile for me but it's probably at the top (Over BVS, Zootopia, and Hush). Crowd was about 55% full, I'd estimate about 120-130 people in a 230 seat auditorium. Audience was heavily older skewing outside of a few teens and young adults. Trailers were Jack Reacher, Suicide Squad, Nerve, Kubo, and Captain Fantastic; Reacher got some laughs and Squad got some "I can't wait"s. 

Also, JESUS CHRIST THAT'S @MrPink!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Star Trek Beyond was a lot of fun! First act was a bit slow but it quickly picks up the pace. Another movie in the 2016 "B" pile for me but it's probably at the top (Over BVS, Zootopia, and Hush). Crowd was about 55% full, I'd estimate about 120-130 people in a 230 seat auditorium. Audience was heavily older skewing outside of a few teens and young adults. Trailers were Jack Reacher, Suicide Squad, Nerve, Kubo, and Captain Fantastic; Reacher got some laughs and Squad got some "I can't wait"s. 

Also, JESUS CHRIST THAT'S @MrPink!!!!!!!!

Wrath of Han, you are the Spock to my Kirk with this movie. What would I do without you?

• Like 2

Theater report in general:

Ice Age was doing pretty decent for a Sunday night, probably had about 70-80 people in it's showing. Pretty much all families entering.

Tarzan was selling a few tickets though it was a 3D show so attendance would have likely been down.

Lights Out is a massive bomb over here, didn't even see anyone enter the auditorium.

Too late to see how IDR was doing and too early for SLOP, Purge, and Mike and Dave.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Tarzan did 44 mill this weekend internationally and Me Before You is at 182 mill WW.  :o

Me Before You is super profitable since it only had a $20m budget. All the New Line films this summer have been profitable for WB especially with Lights Out which is already in the black from the domestic release. 

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Trek's issue is that the right are split between CBS and Paramount and CBS wants to promote the original franchise as it still sells and the upcoming 2017 series Star Trek: Discovery while Paramount wants to promote the films and its tie-ins. 

Could that change in the near future because of the Dauman vs. Redstone clash going on over at Viacom?  I've seen speculation that one possible outcome is that CBS & Viacom (and thus, Paramount) would be merged back into one company again.

1 minute ago, Rey said:

What about me, bitch? I have stanned Lin and Wan before?

Sure, I have yet to see Beyond, but where is my credit, boo?

mQtAfUE.gif

I've got like 7 horcruxes babe, my soul has several mates for each piece of my soul.

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

that whole Tickets and Concessions thing at the same counter makes me dread our closest multi-plex.... NO ticket windo even for busy days and no kiosk for those of us who pre-buy either. So like when we saw Dory I stood in the line for over 30mins to get our pre-bought stubs while others were ordering tixs and popcorn - very annoying.

Been standard in few markets for years,

-some will still have a seperate BO & concessions (In this case they may even also sell tickets at consessions POS),

-some will have separate BO peak times (or same area as concessions they might have one dedicated lane for "ticket only" sales) other times all ticket sales/consessions from same.

-some no seperate BO at all and everything is done from same area.

And yes to your point if its a situation of no separate box office or ticket only lane and all you want is to buy ticket you could be in Q for ages waiting for a large majority of people in front  ordering everything under the sun and if its a cinema that also has Bar / coffee service you could be waiting for people to get Wine poured, coffee made etc if there are no additional staff to handle those particular orders (there may/may not be)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3