MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

1 new Jason Bourne Universal $60,042,540   4,026 $14,914   $60,042,540

That looks like an actual? So Bourne did hit $60M after all?

Edit: My derp. Was going off of number of significant figures, never noticed the green/black colour change for estimates/actuals.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So Paramount is downright incompetent then? This convention should have been done 3-4 weeks ago, might have helped get more awareness out there for the movie and all things Trek.

There is a 50th Anniversary Times cover at the grocery store that says nothing (at least on the cover) about the new movie, too.  Is the 50th anniversary being run by the TV folks or something?

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So Paramount is downright incompetent then? This convention should have been done 3-4 weeks ago, might have helped get more awareness out there for the movie and all things Trek.

Paramount had no idea what they were doing. Released an awful first trailer that was the only marketing for about five months, release date right before another adult targeted movie, not using the 50th anniversary at all. Star Trek's flop is all on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

It is really weird. There have been no big live action OWs this summer post Civil War. The next biggest opening is Apocalypse's 65M and then Trek and Bourne almost touching 60M and everything else below 50M. It's like audiences just aren't motivated enough to go and watch movies, or the movies being released just don't have the "I have to see this NOW" excitement.

With respect to live action success stories, the picture might change with Suicide Squad.

Part of the challenge is the environment. But, these movies seemed to rely on being branded blockbusters and big adventures to sell themselves. They might have just left themselves in a position that did not draw some of the audience that checks out these kinds of movies when they fly higher.

I think Matt Singer captured the dilemma well.

"Most crucially, that the entire film industry is built on a contradiction. American movies in 2016 are all about creating events, movies so “important” that they can’t be missed (or, more specifically, that they can’t be put off until they show up on cable or streaming services). But how much of an event can something be if it’s the sixth installment in a series that seemingly has no planned ending?... But events are unique; that’s what makes them events. Hollywood now tries to position so many sequels as events, that they’ve inadvertently diluted their primary selling point...The bloat raging through these sequels is another serious issue. The only way to stand out in a crowd of tentpoles is to raise a bigger tent. As the biggest get bigger, other so-called blockbusters begin to appear second-rate in comparison."

Critics have done a solid job talking about XMA and JB being familiar and relying on the same kind of plotting and trops that audiences have been seen before. STB was more novel.

Per Deadline on OW:

"Despite bringing the gifted Fast & Furious director Justin Lin on board, some rivals believe that Star Trek Beyond looked same old-same old in its promos and trailers, while others think that Paramount didn’t get the great word of mouth out until late, topped off by an emotional world premiere at San Diego Comic-Con, which honored the memories of late actors Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin.

Paramount did try to distinguish Star Trek Beyond from its previous two chapters when they dropped the teaser back in December 2015. “We got no ship,” exclaims Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk in the trailer. The Enterprise gets destroyed, and the crew is scattered.

But for Star Trek fans, haven’t we seen this all before? Arguably the Enterprise gets decimated at least two times in the Star Trek cinematic canon."

There are some structural challenges for these kinds of movies that derive from solid, branded franchises that don't reach into the 300M+ range. But, these movies made it harder for themselves by sticking to the same old or failing to advertise it clearly.

All of these busted sequels (with more potential ones on the way, including Now You See Me 2, Mechanic: Resurrection, and later in the fall Ouija 2Underworld 5, and Inferno) expose several flaws in modern Hollywood’s business model: Most crucially, that the entire film industry is built on a contradiction. American movies in 2016 are all about creating events, movies so “important” that they can’t be missed (or, more specifically, that they can’t be put off until they show up on cable or streaming services). But how much of an event can something be if it’s the sixth installment in a series that seemingly has no planned ending?

Read More: Have We Finally Reached Peak Sequel? | http://screencrush.com/2016-year-of-peak-sequel/?trackback=tsmclip
All of these busted sequels (with more potential ones on the way, including Now You See Me 2, Mechanic: Resurrection, and later in the fall Ouija 2Underworld 5, and Inferno) expose several flaws in modern Hollywood’s business model: Most crucially, that the entire film industry is built on a contradiction. American movies in 2016 are all about creating events, movies so “important” that they can’t be missed (or, more specifically, that they can’t be put off until they show up on cable or streaming services). But how much of an event can something be if it’s the sixth installment in a series that seemingly has no planned ending?

Read More: Have We Finally Reached Peak Sequel? | http://screencrush.com/2016-year-of-peak-sequel/?trackback=tsmclip
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

seems like the weekend estimate as opposed to actual.

1 new Jason Bourne Universal $60,042,540   4,026 $14,914   $60,042,540 3

Hmmm. Seven significant figures for an "estimate" is pretty weird to me. I think it'd be unusual for box office estimates as well, although I'm not completely sure.

Edit: Thanks @TalismanRing for pointing out green colour for estimates.

Edited by Jason

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

1 new Jason Bourne Universal $60,042,540   4,026 $14,914   $60,042,540 3

Hmmm. Seven significant figures for an "estimate" is pretty weird to me. I think it'd be unusual for box office estimates as well, although I'm not completely sure.

It's still in green on their chart so it's an estimate.  Actuals are put in black while updating

http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2016/07/29

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's still in green on their chart so it's an estimate.  Actuals are put in black while updating

http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2016/07/29

Thanks. Haha, I've just been looking at the number of significant figures this whole time to figure out whether it's an actual or not, not sure why I never noticed the colour difference.

Edited by Jason

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Don't Breathe makes a similar total to Evil Dead '13 ($54M). The trailers/premise is certainly intriguing, and the reviews are looking to be really strong for the genre (it's at 83% on RT with 12 reviews so far).

I'd like to see it do that! It looks good, and I really liked the Evil Dead remake.