CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

2 minutes ago, mredman said:

i really don't understand the criticism of Snyder's Cavill Superman. I mean we are in a total different times. The cookey cutter would not work right away we see him and it shouldn't. Kal is a freakin Alien on earth of course he should feel alone and not at home on earth and of course people would question him. "people fear what they don't understand" its such a powerful line from Martha in BvS because its so true. I never ever seen so much deepness in a Marvel movie. Never. And its also pretty damn clear NOW after the events in BvS he will be a more lighter Superman. People of earth now trust him.. They don't question his motives anymore. So of course the next time we see him he will appeal to those that did not like his persona is MoS and BvS.

Other people questioning him is cool. Him constantly questioning whether to save humans or not seems to be the problem.

1 minute ago, mredman said:

"people fear what they don't understand" its such a powerful line from Martha in BvS because its so true. I never ever seen so much deepness in a Marvel movie. Never.

Deep? That's about as deep as a Hallmark card.

Besides that, it doesn't really have anything to do with Superman himself, you're just talking about how people might perceive him. For the movie to fall back on that line despite him (in theory) saving lots of people reduces a complicated set of reactions (being favorable to Snyder's approach) to a shallow reductive view that makes no overall sense.

• Like 13

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

But why not make more? :lol: 

Sure, they'd make more at the box office, but under their current model, Disney is focused on the bigger picture. It's hard to imagine films in the vein of, say, The Sixth Sense or The Rock generating sequels, merchandise, extended universes, etc. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Wonder Woman and JL can crack $100m+ OW but I wonder about The Flash or Shazam! The latter does have the selling point of Dwayne Johnson and is likely to be a much lighter film than previous DC films 

I think WW can do 100m, but it won't make as SS no doubt. Shazam is up in the air though, and Dwayne Johnson's involvement will only help the film so much.

• Like 1

Now I've seen the movie and can read all the reviews in detail I'm slightly aghast at some of the criticisms.  Some are saying the story doesn't flow or make sense? Wtf did they watch? It was straightforward and flowed perfectly fine. Nothing felt left out to me. Sure, some scenes could have been extended but I had no problem following it. 

Any questions it posed had a scene that answered them eventually. 

I don't get all the hate. Its a fun time at the movies. Could it have been better? 100% yes. But it's nowhere near a bad movie. 

I really want to see these characters with these actors again. 

My show was sold out at 5:10pm when people are still finishing work. It is going to post a huge number in the UK this weekend. Audience definitely enjoyed it. 

Im not into this whole marvel vs DC thing. But I can tell you this. I enjoyed Suicide Squad as much as I enjoyed a good half of the MCU movies. 

• Like 5

2ND UPDATE, Friday, 12:18PM: Refresh for updates We already know that Warner Bros.’ Suicide Squad is going to rank as the highest August opening ever at the domestic box office, but with a current 3-day projection of $140M-$155M, it’s bound to be the third best so far this year behind Captain America: Civil War ($179.1M) and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice ($166M), and the second best this summer, behind Civil War.  Today, Suicide Squad is looking to ring up $65M, including last night’s $20.5M previews.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Mid tier adult films are dead now. Hollywood is in trouble that way. Court room dramas and such are dead.

Thrillers, romances, dramas, historical pieces - anything mid sized and adult geared that isn't meant for Award seasons are an endangered breed.

Rising marketing costs - becoming more expensive than the production costs - and the crash in the DVD market where most of these films thrived killed them.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Records broken by Suicide Squad in Portugal:

- Biggest OD ever for a superhero movie;

- Biggest August OD ever;

- Biggest OD ever for a Will Smith movie;

- Biggest OD of 2016.

:jeb!: 

• Like 5

Currently, per ComScore’s PostTrak, Suicide Squad has a 73% total positive score, which is the same that BvS slotted. As we mentioned earlier, the David Ayer movie is bringing in more females than BvS, 42% to 31%. Also per PostTrak, the combination of African American and Hispanic moviegoers made up a huge 41% of the audience with both audiences giving the film a whopping 81% positive score. The entire Suicide Squad cast was a major reason (at 34%) why people went to see the film and as proof that Smith is still a massive summertime draw, 23% went because of him and 21% were compelled by the appearance of the Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

2ND UPDATE, Friday, 12:18PM: Refresh for updates We already know that Warner Bros.’ Suicide Squad is going to rank as the highest August opening ever at the domestic box office, but with a current 3-day projection of $140M-$155M, it’s bound to be the third best so far this year behind Captain America: Civil War ($179.1M) and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice ($166M), and the second best this summer, behind Civil War.  Today, Suicide Squad is looking to ring up $65M, including last night’s $20.5M previews.

Deadline still can't project for shit.  $65m won't get it near $155m

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I think WW can do 100m, but it won't make as SS no doubt. Shazam is up in the air though, and Dwayne Johnson's involvement will only help the film so much.

Wonder Woman will open lower because of its release date but $100m OW in June is still great. 

Shazam while part of the DCEU is being made by New Line Cinema so I'll think it'll still be made since its part of their slate and not Warner Bros 

• Like 2