CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

There's no doubt that SS is a very big hit.

It's budget is less than TREK, APOC, TARZAN.

It's looking at what...650 WW?

Though nilephelan mentioned the movie's budget may have been closer to 250M. He anticipated it will make healthy profits when ancillary revenues enter the picture.

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

CW had a DOM multi of 2,27. I guess WOM was only slightly better than BvS.

As for the OS multi, if we account for the fact that it had a more staggered release, it's multi seem to not have been any better than BvS'.

Not to mention that there are other factors that influence the multiplier...

There are a few things at work with CW.

1. Franchise fatigue - 13th film in the series 

2. Audience top out - ala HP series (Not SW), not many new auds will be added to the rest of series movies. The potential for the rest of movies will have a predictable arc. Even the finale movies are likely to be closer to AOU ticket sales than The Avengers ticket sales numbers.

3. Cap2 did 2.7 with a 95 M opening, so Cap3 was never going to be anywhere close to that with a 179 m OW. 2.5 multi was probably the best it could have done and it failed to do so indicating that the franchise fatigue is real.

BvS and SS are not affected by franchise fatigue. The potential for BvS was way higher than what was achieved given the movie had the two most iconic superheroes in history. For that movie to not reach 2 multiplier is just horrendous. Comparing that to HP series shows a lack of basic box office knowledge.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, superweirdo87 said:

Though nilephelan mentioned the movie's budget may have been closer to 250M. He anticipated it will make healthy profits when ancillary revenues enter the picture.

On every reliable site the stated budget is 175M, only on Box Office Theory boards somehow DC film have higher budgets than stated.
I already got used to the level of hate some ppl here spread against any DCEU movie, but can we stop mixing wishful thinking with reality?

The budget is 175M.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ohana said:

On every reliable site the stated budget is 175M, only on Box Office Theory boards somehow DC film have higher budgets than stated.
I already got used to the level of hate some ppl here spread against any DCEU movie, but can we stop mixing wishful thinking with reality?

The budget is 175M.

Nilephelan is an insider, if he's saying budget is 250M then that's the budget.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nova said:

And you know this how? 

He doesn't. Nobody knows anything about WOM anymore. People here used to say legs reflect WOM but after Civil War is all over the place now. The only thing they know is BVS is universally hated, despite the Blu-ray selling huge.

:thinking:

Just now, druv10 said:

Nilephelan is an insider, if he's saying budget is 250M then that's the budget.

Does he work for WB or associated to SS production?

Stop it pls, if it was close to 250M major sites would talk about it for sure, and as far as I know WB have to state real production numbers
Nilephelan with all respect doesn't know more about SS real budget than any of us.

15 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

My two cents, something I've felt for a while, is that DC's films have very limited appeal to women. That's why the frontloading is so intense. I think it's just fanboys showing up. The negative reception is further fueling the drop-off of course. But toxic word of mouth isn't the only issue here.

From what I see around me, in general, these films dont draw in women like Marvel. Maybe there's some audience data to back this up? Because it's merely what I suspect, not fact-based.

Wonder Womam could be the key film to change things around in WB's favor, in that it could be both good and have bigger appeal among women, but it's looking kind of bleak.

There were at least 8 women dressed as Harley at my screening, and I live in a town with one movie theater.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Stop it pls, if it was close to 250M major sites would talk about it for sure, and as far as I know WB have to state real production numbers
Nilephelan with all respect doesn't know more about SS real budget than any of us.

No offense or anything but the man knows more about whats going on, on the inside than most of us here. We don't know who he works for because he's kept that disclosed and is not obligated to tell us that either. I'm not saying he's right or anything about SS budget, but don't discredit him by comparing his access of knowledge to our access of knowledge in the industry. For example, do you have inside info on the numbers that a film makes at the box office before they are released? No. Well neither do i. But Nilephlan does. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Look nobody is calling SS a flop, it's going to make a healthy profit for WB.

2 minutes ago, Ohana said:

175m is official production budget but it was rumored re-shoots did cost another 40-50m. Look at BvS - Snyder himself said it was cheaper than MoS then Warners claimed 250m but few weeks back THR confirmed LR's original story about 300+ production budget. LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

No, the $44m Friday included $9m in Thur previews.  The True Friday was $35m 

The $12m reported for Thur was actually the separate Walmart thing.

So Man of Steel's OW basically went:

Thursday: 20.0m

Friady: 36.0m

Saturday: 36.3m

Sunday 36.3m (Father's Day)

Suicide Squad so far:

Thursday: 20.5m

Friday: 44.6m

Saturday: ~36-37m

19 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

My two cents, something I've felt for a while, is that DC's films have very limited appeal to women. That's why the frontloading is so intense. I think it's just fanboys showing up. The negative reception is further fueling the drop-off of course. But toxic word of mouth isn't the only issue here.

From what I see around me, in general, these films dont draw in women like Marvel. Maybe there's some audience data to back this up? Because it's merely what I suspect, not fact-based.

Wonder Womam could be the key film to change things around in WB's favor, in that it could be both good and have bigger appeal among women, but it's looking kind of bleak.

Unless you're Twilight, movies don't make $125M+ openings from just one demographic for the most part.

45 minutes ago, #ED said:

120M+ is amazing regardless if the movie sucked or not.

If SS has a lower OW than Deadpool despite making double on Thursday previews that will be a really bad sign. Specially when that was completely discarded after that OD number.