CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Noppity nope. That OW will never be good coming off a 65M OD. NEVER

If my budget for a film was a measly 75M or even 100M, then yes. I'd be happy. It's not a good sign for legs, but at least you got a high OW to help. Again, I know it's not perfect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is the dc universe will fade to irrelevance with the sequels to these poorly received initial films.

I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen. If the DCEU is considered an irrelevant franchise, you're going to see a lot of irrelevance from the majority of movies from every studio other than Disney. The DCEU movies will likely be the top earners with easily still the most potential from the 2nd ranked studio. They don't even have much of a better option. There are two studios that don't even have an option that will do half as well!

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

It's a fine performance in a vacuum. It's different when they announce 10 movies and put them all into production essentially at once. How many times are audiences going to come out on OW when the WOM is consistently not good? This isn't sustainable and the floor's going to fall off

Man of Steel had mediocre legs and BOTH of its followups are looking like they're going to have abysmal legs

If they actually try to make a sequel to MoS or SS it will tank. The amount of characters they already burned is incredible.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm looking at the end result. Yeah it was a bad movie and yes it will have terrible legs. But a year ago most people wouldn't be thinking $125M/$250M total.   It was what, $80M OW and possibly $200M total?  So how can we sit here with a straight face and say it wasn't successful.

Because the potential was there for this to be the event film of the summer. Just because this board was remarkably out of touch with how buzzed the film was, doesn't change reality. The OD (even in spite of those reviews) proves how this was set up to break out huge, and now will have to settle for being a not much bigger than Apocalypse level hit. It's profitable sure, but the implications of releasing such a hated film right after BvS are absolutely dismal for this franchise's future. 

Okay so when is this bottom going to fall out then?  I mean Man of Steel was $128M OW.  It made a profit especially in the dvd market. It had mixed reviews but decent WOM.  Batman v. Superman was $166M OW and near $900M with toxic WOM but it also killing it on the blu ray market.  It will also see a profit.  SS is going to see a profit.  Wonder Woman is definitely making a profit.

And I know people are ready to say "Justice League" but I'm telling you. If there's two things going for it it's 1. Snyder's visuals and 2. Snyder's visuals combined with WB's incredible marketing/trailer making team.

I still think JL opens up big. I would say yes, eventually if the movies all end up sucking they will be in trouble but the death of the DCEU is a long ways away.

• Like 1

Anyone trying to paint this as disappointing is insulated by the board and minutia of following numbers day to day.  

$125m opening is a big success for this movie no matter if it needs to see $800m theater side to make a profit, because ultimately it will make a profit after everything from cable rights to home video to merchandising.  WB did a fantastic job marketing this but they turned out a shit film so things like this drop happens, and I do think the Olympics plays at least some factor.   

The ironic thing that DC has going for it is the movies have been so bad they have nowhere to go but up at this point.  Obviously there is hunger for the product and as soon as they actually make a quality movie the box office holds will reflect it.  

• Like 12

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Okay so when is this bottom going to fall out then?  I mean Man of Steel was $128M OW.  It made a profit especially in the dvd market. It had mixed reviews but decent WOM.  Batman v. Superman was $166M OW and near $900M with toxic WOM but it also killing it on the blu ray market.  It will also see a profit.  SS is going to see a profit.  Wonder Woman is definitely making a profit.

And I know people are ready to say "Justice League" but I'm telling you. If there's two things going for it it's 1. Snyder's visuals and 2. Snyder's visuals combined with WB's incredible marketing/trailer making team.

I still think JL opens up big. I would say yes, eventually if the movies all end up sucking they will be in trouble but the death of the DCEU is a long ways away.

It is one year and 3 months away if there's not a big time quality turnaround with the next two films. 

Despite all the doom and gloom, let's remember that this film IS smashing an August OW record, that can't be ignored. I think my early prediction for this was maybe around 60M for the longest time, then the trailers came out and I bumped it up to 70-80Mish. It took me awhile to predict over guardians, as I gave that movie high regards in getting a 90+ish OW in August, which is high. For this to open even past 100M is something to be said. Instead of us focusing on just the negatives, it's important to shed light on the positives too.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It's a fine performance in a vacuum. It's different when they announce 10 movies and put them all into production essentially at once. How many times are audiences going to come out on OW when the WOM is consistently not good? This isn't sustainable and the floor's going to fall off

Man of Steel had mediocre legs and BOTH of its followups are looking like they're going to have abysmal legs

I think the SH genre has completely ruined the studio system so am I an asshole for laughing?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Anyone who thinks this was a guaranteed big hit since it was announced:

On page one, you can see Neo's early predictions. He was typically one of the most optimistic predictors when it came to movies, especially CBMs. His prediction was a 45m OW and a 116m domestic total.

Based on release-date tracking and preview/OD numbers, Saturday (and presumably the weekend) looks slightly disappointing. In the greater context, though, it's a huge smash hit (even if it #crumbles from this point on).

I agree on every single point here.  The one caution I would have is that if this has even worse legs than BvS, and/or has more frontloading, it's not a great sign for the health of the range.

Or rather, it raises some red flags that shouldn't be ignored.  Shouldn't be overreacted to, either.  

Call it a warning sign then.  Nothing more. but nothing less, either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Anyone trying to paint this as disappointing is insulated by the board and minutia of following numbers day to day.  

$125m opening is a big success for this movie no matter if it needs to see $800m theater side to make a profit, because ultimately it will make a profit after everything from cable rights to home video to merchandising.  WB did a fantastic job marketing this but they turned out a shit film so things like this drop happens, and I do think the Olympics plays at least some factor.   

The ironic thing that DC has going for it is the movies have been so bad they have nowhere to go but up at this point.  Obviously there is hunger for the product and as soon as they actually make a quality movie the box office holds will reflect it.  

SO THE DROP IS REAL?!!!

If there's one thing WB can be still happy about, it must be their marketing "department". Despite having awful reviews and legs, BvS and SS definitely showed that at least they did the marketing right, which is proved by two huge OW's.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I agree on every single point here.  The one caution I would have is that if this has even worse legs than BvS, and/or has more frontloading, it's not a great sign for the health of the range.

Or rather, it raises some red flags that shouldn't be ignored.  Shouldn't be overreacted to, either.  

Call it a warning sign then.  Nothing more. but nothing less, either.

What I mean by this, BTW, is that the films are relying on a core that I am not certain can be taken for granted.  That SS opened so huge is a great sign for the core in general.  The drop offs though make me wonder how stable the core actually is.

Thus I ain't spreading doom and gloom.  But showing concern?  Yeah, I think that's accurate.  Even while acknowledging that this is a fantastic OW (and probably overall gross) for the film.  Both things can be equally true, as I said upthread.

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Yes. 

Support the outliers.

My favorite movies this year:

1) Sing Street $3.2m

2) Train to Busan $0.9m

3) Batman v Superman $330.3m

4) Swiss Army Man $4.1m

5) Hunt for the Wilderpeople $3.1m

Lol, I'm glad I'm married and my wife agrees to watch these movies with me. Otherwise, I'd have to search the world looking for somebody else who has seen the same movies...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

See, and it's that that makes a 125M OW, look "dissapointing". In reality, a 125M OW regardless is still good, it's when people hype shit so high is when it's considered a dissapointment (a lesson I learned the hard way).

Seriously! It wasn't too long ago some ya were praying it hit over 100 mil. It did it and now it's disappointment. I honestly thought it was going to make 80 mil last month lol
  • Like 3