jb007

Thursday - SS 8.2 JB 2.24 BM 2.17

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Remember yesterday when I said if people have no interest in a movie they're not going to go see it regardless of what else is playing? I stand by that. Suicide Squad had SP previews to contend with. However if people don't want to see SP that doesn't mean they're just going to roll on up to the theater just to watch another film. 

Wait I'm confused what does this have to do with Suicide Squad numbers? Like I think you're talking about Sausage Party maybe instead?

I mean no offense, I've just read this post five times in a row and I still can't figure it out

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think it is, and I hope that it gets traction if it does. And I mean trades traction. @Gopher?

We are discussing this on the Squad main thread, Portugal.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why wouldn't it be? It's followed very closely with its weekday drops thus far give or take a percentage here and there but for the most part they've been holding very similarly. 

It hasn't followed gotg at all.

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Wait I'm confused what does this have to do with Suicide Squad numbers? Like I think you're talking about Sausage Party maybe instead?

I mean no offense, I've just read this post five times in a row and I still can't figure it out

Yesterday there were posters who were saying Suicide Squad should hold very well Thursday because there weren't any strong openers this weekend and thus the preview numbers wouldn't affect its Thursday. I made a statement saying that it doesnt matter. If people have interest in seeing a film, they'll see it. If they don't they'll stay home. Suicide Squad dropped 15% on Thursday despite SP being the only film with a wide preview release. So my point still stands. Just because theres no competition or very little competition doesnt mean a film will glide by and people will go see it. 

Edited by Nova

That article that you posted John, yes Perhaps it is sad that people lose their jobs. But that article makes it sound like making movies is Krystal Ball like. It makes it sound like every Studio knows what is going to be a hit and what isn't. Maybe to that guy Zack Snyder is a hack but there are plenty of people who think that he is making good stuff. So if you guys can hate what has happened with the DC Universe but as I said many times there are plenty of people who like Suicide Squad. It sucks when anybody loses their job and I certainly do not wish that on anybody, as I've been there myself. But that letter just sounds like sour grapes coming from some dude who lost his job.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It hasn't followed gotg at all.

Umm yes it has. The only off day was its Friday to Saturday drop and then Tuesday it had a slightly bigger jump. Other than that they've been pretty close. GOTG dropped 18% on Sunday. SS dropped 22%. On Monday GOTG dropped 54% and SS dropped 57%. On Tuesday SS went up 8.5% and GOTG went up 1.6%. On Wednesday GOTG dropped 26% and SS dropped 32%. On Thursday GOTG dropped 13% and SS looks at about a 15% drop. 

Its run has been closer to GOTG than the other two films you named. 

• Like 3

I haven't really been paying attn to Sausage Party and I just took a look at the poster. So the (male) sausage is supposed to be a penis and the (female) hot dog bun that is shaped like labia is supposed to be a vagina? And the expressions on their faces...it's gonna be that kind of humor? :mellow:

Anyway happy that Suicide Squad is getting panned and no matter what it grosses it's going to be forgotten in a couple years. 

It's possible that Sausage Party took a big dent out of Suicide Squad's business last night. Then again, we could see another situation where a lot of teens/young people buy tickets for the PG-13 Suicide Squad and then sneak into SP.

• Like 1

And by the way I called this at the beginning of the week. I knew Suicide Squad what do pretty much exactly what it did every day of the week except I screwed up on Tuesday because I didn't take into account discount Tuesdays are so much more important now. So all of these people claiming that Suicide Squad is now a disaster because of a 15% drop on Tuesday is just hilarious. Almost every film in the summertime on a Thursday have been dropping higher than 10%. But all those people who hate the movie want to point to this one particular movie and say that is performing so much different than every other movie. It's f****** hilarious.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

That article that you posted John, yes Perhaps it is sad that people lose their jobs. But that article makes it sound like making movies is Krystal Ball like. It makes it sound like every Studio knows what is going to be a hit and what isn't. Maybe to that guy Zack Snyder is a hack but there are plenty of people who think that he is making good stuff. So if you guys can hate what has happened with the DC Universe but as I said many times there are plenty of people who like Suicide Squad. It sucks when anybody loses their job and I certainly do not wish that on anybody, as I've been there myself. But that letter just sounds like sour grapes coming from some dude who lost his job.

Like I've said to Tele on the main thread, I get your point, but this "disgruntled ex-employee" call out was a long time coming. Yes, films aren't made with crystal balls, but there is a REASON that something like John Carter happens. And do you remember the reaction from critics, fans of the character and all of us, actually? They screwed up. If Disney kept screwing it up, they'd get call out on it. I like Age of Ultron but that isn't one of the MCU's strongest entries by any means, and what happened with Whedon after that? He was out, and in the guys that made Captain America an A list character, to the fans and the critics delight, regardless yours or my personal feelings towards the film. Disney isn't called out because they aren't messing it up, and when they even LOOK like doing something like that, they course correct. Snyder has probably cost the jobs of people that WEREN'T the reason he failed to begin with. When that goes through all the studio's line up, it becomes a deeper problem. And I hope the higher ups start talking about this, because she does have a point. It goes way beyond the DC films. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

Nova I'm on my phone so I don't have time 2 post links here. But please go to the daily numbers for both Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad and tell me how they are the same? The Tuesday number is way different than Wednesday number is different the first number is similar and last Friday it opened up way higher than Guardians of the Galaxy did including way more interviews. So I fail to see how they are similar. Also this 60% jump that Guardians of the Galaxy has to do is not going to be anywhere close to what suicide squad has. So I offered this bet to John and I'll offer it to you as well. I will bet you that it will do at least 50 million this weekend. Whoever losers donates $10 to the site. Are you in?

5 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

And by the way I called this at the beginning of the week. I knew Suicide Squad what do pretty much exactly what it did every day of the week except I screwed up on Tuesday because I didn't take into account discount Tuesdays are so much more important now. So all of these people claiming that Suicide Squad is now a disaster because of a 15% drop on Tuesday is just hilarious. Almost every film in the summertime on a Thursday have been dropping higher than 10%. But all those people who hate the movie want to point to this one particular movie and say that is performing so much different than every other movie. It's f****** hilarious.

Nevermind. Made a bet instead. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Nova I'm on my phone so I don't have time 2 post links here. But please go to the daily numbers for both Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad and tell me how they are the same? The Tuesday number is way different than Wednesday number is different the first number is similar and last Friday it opened up way higher than Guardians of the Galaxy did including way more interviews. So I fail to see how they are similar. Also this 60% jump that Guardians of the Galaxy has to do is not going to be anywhere close to what suicide squad has. So I offered this bet to John and I'll offer it to you as well. I will bet you that it will do at least 50 million this weekend. Whoever losers donates $10 to the site. Are you in?

I'm in. @Baumer loves Dory

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

It's possible that Sausage Party took a big dent out of Suicide Squad's business last night. We could see another situation where a lot of teens/young people buy tickets for the PG-13 Suicide Squad and then sneak into SP.

If they bought ticket to SS, the money goes automatically to SS even if they attend SP. SS have two strong demos, the under 17 and the 18-25 demo, the first one is targeted this week by Pete's Dragon, the second one by SP. SS will suffer from new entries this weekend, especially from SP.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

75 today at least

32-35 tomorrow

25 drop Sunday

It's hitting 50. Maybe 55 if it jumps more than 80% today

Thats an overly generous Friday jump.  It's been tracking similar to Guardians (slighrly trailing it), it's likely going to have a a jump in the 60s.

The target audience for this is out of school and won't necessarily just see it on weekends.

• Like 2