jb007

Thursday - SS 8.2 JB 2.24 BM 2.17

32 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm an optimist. I've joined because of The Avengers insane box office run and while I was never really into the whole DC x Marvel wars or any fandoms whatsoever, I do think you people gave me more knowledge about box office than I could ever ask for, and actually made me a better moviegoer and an all around better person when it comes to watching and anticipating all kinds of films. I agree that there are a lot of fandoms and people that are here to represent their #brands, but I have faith in people. Eventually they grow out of it and, hopefully, they'll get better eventually. I did, I'm sure that others will too. 

We are a little community, but one that I like a lot. I come and go, but I like the people that are around here, mostly. The fandoms are annoying and growing on every part of the internet, but if you simply ignore the outliers, you can have better and more civil discussions about film here than most places. We are still great. B)

Aside from seeing the bonkers numbers on occasion, I'm kind of over the CBM thing altogether. And, it brings out the devil in us all from time to time. Just seems to insight vitriol. I also, and I know I shouldn't, get frustrated with the number of folks that pop out of the woodwork to debate numbers that have essentially no understanding of the box office whatsoever. It's just far more exciting to me when something like Sausage Party breaks out. Or, say, a decent family flick like Pete's Dragon has a presence. Or, you know, maybe Passengers, Dunkirk going forward.

I love that CBMs put butts in the seats. But, on forums like these and, honestly, MUCH less here, it lends itself to bitterness and rage. Of course, quite a few rise above it and our mods do a terrific job keeping everyone in line most of the time.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

$8.2M Thursday beats BVS, Civil War, Deadpool first Thursday.

Those weren't summer weekdays......their weekdays will be weaker, but their weekends should be stronger to compensate for not having summer weekdays. 

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$8.2M Thursday beats BVS, Civil War, Deadpool first Thursday.

Posts like this confuse me given Squad opened to $134M DOM, it better beat the Thursday takes of those flicks. I mean, we're in the still in heart of summer weekdays here. The CBM Thursday takes referenced are late March, early May and mid February and jumped 94%, 140% and 102% respectively on the following Friday.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Those weren't summer weekdays......their weekdays will be weaker, but their weekends should be stronger to compensate for not having summer weekdays. 

I didn't say they were.

I'm looking at BOM's 2016 Superhero Showdown.

You, in particular, are always very quick to try and educate. What you said is irrelevant to my post. 

What I posted is a fact. I didn't elaborate. I'm not trying to defend the film or make it seem amazing. I'm stating a fact. 

• Like 1

Way worse Wed-to-Thu drop than BvS, CACW and DP. Slightly better than Apocalypse and a couple of percentage points worse than GotG. All is pointing at a mid 40s 2nd weekend. Also, when comapring Thu gross to Thu previews from a week ago, GotG dropped 32% whereas SS has dropped about 60%. Deadline is still saying $51-54M whereas boxoffice.com says $38.5M. At least THR says $47-54M so they won't embarass themselves too much. I do wish boxoffice.com's prediction comes true, but realistically speaking (and based on the abundance of evidence that some seem to be ignoring), this will not do more than $47M and very likely below $45M.

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I didn't say they were.

I'm looking at BOM's 2016 Superhero Showdown.

You, in particular, are always very quick to try and educate. What you said is irrelevant to my post. 

What I posted is a fact. I didn't elaborate. I'm not trying to defend the film or make it seem amazing. I'm stating a fact. 

How is it irrelevant? Why'd you make your post if you didn't want to compare the films? There was no reason for you to bring in BvS, Deadpool or CW unless you wanted to make a comparison. However you're comparison makes absolutely no sense in this post when in fact those other three films opened in February, March and May. 

Also I don't understand why youre getting so fucking defensive. You made a comparison. I'm telling you that youre comparison is not relevant because all four films opened during a different time so why you're posting it, makes no sense either except to try and make it seem like SS had a good Thursday hold in comparison to those films. 

Also if you haven't noticed, i'm not the only one pointing out your flaw in comparing it to BvS, CW and Deadpool. I've also stated a million times in other threads that those films are not comparable at all. 

So you can post your "facts" all you want. That doesnt make them relevant to how this film is performing compared to the other three because again they opened during a different season. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

It just seems irrelevant. It's like if were to post now, because it likely will come to pass... "Suicide Squad's second weekend falls well short of the second weekend of Civil War and short of Deadpool, BatSupes second weekends as well." Or, if I were to post something like, "Suicide Squad had a much larger % drop Wednesday to Thursday than BatSupes, Deadpool and Civil War." It's a different time of year. It should, and I assume will, continue to have better weekdays than the other three until the summer weekdays start to fade. But, yes, it had a stronger opening Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday take DOM than the other three CBM mega openers.

We'll leave X-Men out of this for now... :sadben:...because it simply doesn't belong in the same discussion.

What's your prediction for this weekend for SS, SP and PD, Krissy? Apologies if I missed it earlier...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It just seems irrelevant. It's like if were to post now, because it likely will come to pass... "Suicide Squad's second weekend falls well short of the second weekend of Civil War and short of Deadpool, BatSupes second weekends as well." It's a different time of year. It should, and I assume will, continue to have better weekdays than the other three until the summer weekdays start to fade. But, yes, it had a stronger opening Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday take DOM than the other three CBM mega openers.

We'll leave X-Men out of this for now... :sadben:...because it simply doesn't belong in the same discussion.

Exactly! Like even if this film fell harder than BvS, CW and Deadpool, you cant compare them because its had better weekdays which is expected. Thats how summer films perform. They have strong weekdays which take away from their weekends. Other season films, should have stronger weekends than weekdays. Thats why comparing summer films to winter films is irrelevant. They don't perform the same way. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

I still love CBMs, but the bitterness and rage is just ugly for discourse. Part of me understands why people are deeply attached and invested. But, there's nothing to be gained by going so ugly on other people.

I've seen all of the CBMs released this year in cinemas. I'm not deeply attached or invested in any of them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

I've seen all of the CBMs released this year in cinemas. I'm not deeply attached or invested in any of them. 

To be perfectly clear most viewers are not, but there is a subset of the fanbases for these movies that is. They are vocal online.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Just as a reminder - this is only the 2nd weekend of August the bigger jumps do not typically happen until weekend 3 (which is the comparison for TMNT and Compton) context is everything when looking at how things play out.

Sorry bud, but they happen in the 2nd weekend.  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-08-07&track=mi5.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2014-08-15&track=tmnt2013.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-08-14&track=straightouttacompton.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-08-16&track=werethemillers.htm

• Like 1