Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

45 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

$166M says it didn't matter. If the studio would leave the final product alone we'd see bigger multipliers but maybe eventually they will learn.

To be fair, WB totally destroyed the good work of trailer #2 with the Doomsday spoilertastic shitfest that was the 3rd one. That one got A LOT of people pissed off and/or unimpressed. Maybe that had to do with something?

• Like 1

Time for some projecting:

STAR TREK:

Aug 12: 7.2M (3.7M weekdays, 143.8M Total)

Aug 19: 5.6M (2.8M weekdays, 152.2M Total)

Aug 26: 4.5M (2.2M weekdays, 158.9M Total)

Sep 2: 3.8M (2M weekdays, 164.7M Total)

Sep 9: 2.2M (1M weekdays, 167.9M Total)
Sep 16: 1.2M (500k weekdays, 169.6M Total)

Final Total: 174M (2.93x)

Bourne:

Aug 12: 14.3M (6.5M weekdays, 134M Total)

Aug 19: 9.3M (4.2M weekdays, 147.5M Total)

Aug 26: 7M (2.9M weekdays, 159.4M Total)

Sep 2: 5.2M (2.7M weekdays, 167.3M Total)

Sep 9: 2.6M (1.3M weekdays, 171.2M Total)
Sep 16: 1.3M (600k weekdays, 173.1M Total)

Final Total: 177M (2.99x)

Bad Moms:

Aug 12: 11.2M (7.3M weekdays, 78.5M Total)

Aug 19: 9.5M (5.8M weekdays, 93.8M Total)

Aug 26: 8.4M (4.9M weekdays, 107.1M Total)

Sep 2: 7.8M (4.7M weekdays, 119.6M Total)

Sep 9: 4.7M (2.6M weekdays, 126.9M Total)
Sep 16: 2.8M (1.5M weekdays, 131.2M Total)

Sep 23: 1.7M (900k weekdays, 133.8M Total)

Sep 30: 1M (500k weekdays, 135.3M Total)

Final Total: 138M (5.8x)

Star Trek and Bourne are going to be super close; it'll depend on whether or not Bourne stays in the 30's with drops. Bad Moms is going to get close to a 6x.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I'm not even talking about that. I only brought up the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises to show you can have a rush factor for DC films, that also have great multipliers so clearly I don't believe the films in the DCEU are hitting their ceiling in terms of how much money they can make. 

That's for sure, imo It's not the directors fault but the studio itself
Seeing now 2 different directors getting the same result exactly in terms of reception and BO drops is making me super nervous about 
Wonder Woman as well.
It's like they bring someone to direct, and then chopping his movie regardless of what was his vision from the start.

Word of mouth and "good holds" are entirely subjective things...

Man of Steel made 116 million for its opening weekend. It finished its domestic run, with 291 million.

So, it had domestic legs of 175 million.   So, its legs alone were basically the first Captain America entire domestic run, more than X-Men Apocalypse entire domestic run and several other movies. The fact the movie wasn't even in 3D, is also impressive.

This is a fun game. People keep saying DCU movies have bad legs. I'm not a fan of MOS and I just liked BVS, but this is laughable. I loved SS, but that doesn't matter. Dropping hard or not, that happens to several movies. It happened to the Last Harry Potter and it might happen again to several movies.

Movie is doing fine. You guys are so pessimistic. SS 2 will be made, Harley Quinn solo adventure should be made too. It's all fine. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ohana said:

It doesn't matter, DCEU got a BO success, you just can't argue with that no matter how you hate it.

I'm not hating and neither is Nova, these movies are getting great marketing which leads to massive OW, if they also had great WOM ceiling wouldn't be 330M.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Man of Steel made 116 million for its opening weekend. It finished its domestic run, with 291 million.

So, it had domestic legs of 175 million. 

It's gross by Sunday was 128.7m. And so it added 162.3m after Sunday.

That's all I am gonna say :ph34r:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, it had domestic legs of 175 million.   So, its legs alone were basically the first Captain America entire domestic run, more than X-Men Apocalypse entire domestic run and several other movies. The fact the movie wasn't even in 3D, is also impressive.

This is a fun game. People keep saying DCU movies have bad legs. I'm not a fan of MOS and I just liked BVS, but this is laughable. I loved SS, but that doesn't matter. Dropping hard or not, that happens to several movies. It happened to the Last Harry Potter and it might happen again to several movies.

Movie is doing fine. You guys are so pessimistic. SS 2 will be made, Harley Quinn solo adventure should be made too. It's all fine. 

Because multipliers help determine the legs of a film. Of course MoS is going to make more than the first Captain America in its entire run. It opened to $116M. If it didn't then we'd be talking about one of the worst films in terms of legs of all time. 

If any of the DCEU films made over $400M you'd be talking about how great their legs are. Its not that hard to see, that the films in the DCEU could make so much more money, if they were actually well-liked by the GA. The money that theyre making is not the ceiling for them. They're opening big and then their multipliers are meh to bad. When they can open big and have good multipliers. 

Why is it that we are being called pessimistic, if we bring that up. 

Also the last Harry Potter despite how bad the legs were, was the last film in a franchise so I wouldn't even call the legs bad, still made $50M more than BvS despite opening like $3M above it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think that SS from the start had a very limited appeal
personally I didn't like the trailers, I didn't find any interest in the characters, ang I thought it was just an ok movie
but to show support in the DCEU I've watched it twice - but tbh have no desire seeing it again (unlike BvS.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Are you saying Man of Steel wasn't in 3D because it was. In fact, it was released in 3D and IMAX 3D.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Firstly, Man of Steel actually had 3D. Secondly, you're missing the point. Most people agree that the openings for the DCEU have been great, but BvS and SS's legs (MOS had okay-ish legs) are definitely bad/horrendous. Yes, rush factor has something to do with it (see Civil War), but word-of-mouth plays the biggest role. Look at Deadpool, which opened with roughly the same as SS, yet will finish with a $50m+ higher total. Why? Because it had great WOM.

To your last paragraph. No, not everything is fine because the poor reception to the DCEU movies so far will result in the sequels to those films doing much worse (if they even make them). The point is that while DCEU movies can still have good/great OW's, their poor reception doesn't bode well for potential sequels.

• Like 2

I don't think bad legs are always a sign of only bad WOM.

Look at Friday The 13th, the release date gimmick played a huge part in making it an event. There was an audience for that film and they rushed out. 

The audience was used up. 

Not everyone waits to see what other people think of a film before checking it out.

Also, older skewing films have good legs, not always because of WOM, it's just because the audience doesn't rush out. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ohana said:

I think that SS from the start had a very limited appeal
personally I didn't like the trailers, I didn't find any interest in the characters, ang I thought it was just an ok movie
but to show support in the DCEU I've watched it twice - but tbh have no desire seeing it again (unlike BvS.)

I watched SS twice, but I don't even want to watch BVS again, lol.

I still have to watch the special version, but I'm not excited. BVS is a movie full of flaws and holes. I liked SS much, much more than BVS. At leats, most of my friends share that same view. I left the theater, telling myself that it was miles better than BVS. BVS is easily the most disappointing movie I've seen this year.

I liked MOS just like I loved Resident Evil movies. Guilty pleasure. 

29 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Firstly, Man of Steel actually had 3D. Secondly, you're missing the point. Most people agree that the openings for the DCEU have been great, but BvS and SS's legs (MOS had okay-ish legs) are definitely bad/horrendous. Yes, rush factor has something to do with it (see Civil War), but word-of-mouth plays the biggest role. Look at Deadpool, which opened with roughly the same as SS, yet will finish with a $50m+ higher total. Why? Because it had great WOM.

To your last paragraph. No, not everything is fine because the poor reception to the DCEU movies so far will result in the sequels to those films doing much worse (if they even make them). The point is that while DCEU movies can still have good/great OW's, their poor reception doesn't bode well for potential sequels.

Was MOS released in 3D? I didn't know that. 

I agree BVS legs were disappointing. So, no problem with that. Yeah, I agree DCU must focus on making better reviewed movies, so they avoid huge drops for next weekends. You made good points.