Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Can we make bets on Justice League breaking 100m OW? I'd be willing to bet $100k. Any takers?

There are some online indicators that nerds are more excited abut seeing the Flash than Suicide Squad, and this was during the heavy Suicide Squad push and prior to reviews.

mila-relax.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

My goodness, how old are you people? For all the making fun of tele's age, I would think most of you are under 30, but I'm not seeing an adaptation to how the world has changed.

Why are 3x multis rare? Is it only due to WOM and critical praise? Are we living in the 1980s? Once upon a time, the top blockbuster might open up in 1-3 theaters in a state, and you'd mostly know about it by watching the news, reading the newspaper, or if your friend is lucky enough to stand in line for two hours, saw it, and told you about it. You'd wait several weeks before lines became reasonable, and then may be able to get into the matinee or a weekday night. Multis would be higher because even if in high demand, you wouldn't see thousands of showings open in your city. Also, multis would be higher in ancient times because without the internet, many people have no idea the whats and whens of a movie. They'll eventually flock to the theater when a slower process of WOM reaches them. 

Right now, in modern times, it's easier to get to see the movie on its first week due to the giant theater chains and reserved seating. I could buy Star Wars tickets for myself and all my friends in a reserved-seating theater the day before previews. Also, think about the effect of the internet. People aren't reliant on just WOM and critics anymore. Once upon a time, you'd have to bother to find a movie review in the newspaper or be lucky enough to catch a trailer for it in another movie. Now, the information for any movie is right before you on the internet. People decide whether they want to watch a movie or not months before the movie debuts. Highly anticipated movies will have much larger opening weekends, and thus much lower multis, especially if they appeal is to the young-adults, especially females (see Twilight and Harry Potter) who are willing to stand in line like zealots. Movies are becoming more critic-proof because OW moviegoers do not need to have critical approval to go watch a movie. Suicide Squad gave the example of 4% cared what critics thought. Movies are not going to have 3,4, 5x multis as much any more because the infrastructure to market and distribute a movie has become much more advanced, and this has lead to giant OWs for extremely anticipated movies.

Why are 3x multis strongly reviewed animation? They don't even need a good review, really. Look at Minions. Why are they animation? Animation tends to draw the whole family. That in itself assures more tickets sold. Now, why the stronger legs? Well, here's the thing, it's tough filling your whole family into the theater on the first week so some people wait to watch the movie later. Kids wanting to watch the movie require their parents to have adequate time off to take them. Many adults who want to watch the animation might not want to be in theaters filled with kids, so they wait. Kids can be glued to the internet and know all about which movies they want to see or when, but many aren't of age to be like that yet, so they could follow more traditional forms of WOM. So, for animated films, the OW compared to its final gross is subdued, and hence 3x multis or better. These factors cause animated films to behave more like movies did 30 years ago.

This is all in my opinion, of course.

Antman made a 3 multiplier, but nobody really thinks it was a 'success.' One of the lowest growing MCU films. Sure numerous movies make 3 multipliers, but they aren't that impressive. It's really only impressive when you have mega openers like Slop, The Avengers, The Dark Knight, Finding Dory, or SW7.

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Antman made a 3 multiplier, but nobody really thinks it was a 'success.' One of the lowest growing MCU films. Sure numerous movies make 3 multipliers, but they aren't that impressive. It's really only impressive when you have mega openers like Slop, The Avengers, The Dark Knight, Finding Dory, or SW7.

lmao

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Can we make bets on Justice League breaking 100m OW? I'd be willing to bet $100k. Any takers?

There are some online indicators that nerds are more excited abut seeing the Flash than Suicide Squad, and this was during the heavy Suicide Squad push and prior to reviews.

Who on earth would be willing to place 100,000 dollars on any kind of BO bet?  That's one of the most ridiculous financial risks I can think of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:
14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Because it had Iron Man

It had everyone (plus Spider-Man) except Thor and Hulk.

You re right, Civil War should have made 2B WW to be considered a box office success, then.

My bad.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Who on earth would be willing to place 100,000 dollars on any kind of BO bet?  That's one of the most ridiculous financial risks I can think of.

We can make it more interesting. $100k that Justice League has a 100m+ OW provided that both Wonder Woman and Justice League are Green Tomatoes. Or, Justice League will make more than 200m+ DOM provided that both Wonder Woman and Justice League are Green Tomatoes.

56 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nobody cares about Batfleck now and no one ever really did about Cavill's Superman. So WW is going to have to be the big draw for JL. If she tanks her solo flick, the JL DOM box office is going to be one of the most epic disasters the genre has seen. 

Im not so sure man, it will still have a big opening right? Maybe they are content (I doubt they want to let to Fox or Universal catch up further) for these strong OWs & no legs as long as it doesn't draw too much negative press. 

Edited by GiantCALBears

31 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

LOL no. how can people "love" The flash or Cyborg? All we've seen of either was a YouTube trailer promo within BvS. That is such a ridiculous statement to make at this point.

and most people certainly don't love this iteration of Superman. "tolerate" maybe.

You don't speak for the people.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Agree, Ant man is a disappointment. It is only about the sixth most attended Michael Douglas film

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Who doesn't? I thought with the amount of time people spend on this forum, we're all affluent enough to discuss movie box office rather than having to work.

I'm sure most people here have made clever investments where their money is generated while they sleep such as shares, assets etc...

46 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lord the DCEU fans are deluded. They've actually convinced themselves 1.9x multis somehow equal good WOM "outside of the internet!" 

It's not much different of people who thinks a movie with 2.27x multis had "GREAT WOM" :rofl:

Edited by alisson23
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Antman made a 3 multiplier, but nobody really thinks it was a 'success.' 

I do. It had one of Marvel's lower grosses, but it also had one of Marvel's lower budgets. Not to mention a sequel was announced roughly only three months after it was released.