Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

3 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It seems nowadays that if you are pro anything in a film people wonder if it's going to turn a certain segment of the population off. Pro God? That will piss people off Pro atheist? That will piss people off pro agnostic? That will piss people off. Everything is going to piss off somebody, so who cares?

Exactly. If it pisses them off then the film wasn't for them in the first place. 

• Like 2

Just now, Spaghetti said:

Comparisons for the three day weekend based on previews:

Neighbors 2 - $43m

Ted 2 - $42.5m

Bad Moms - $3.3m

22 Jump Street - $34.3m

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $34.2m

So it would have to be extremely frontloaded not to get to $30m. Nice.

8 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

I have a hard time seeing major front-loading.  this film is taboo and it will be infectious WOM.  Bad Moms is definitely "wait for the girls" to go and see, which is why it dropped in the first weekend and has picked up/held well since.  Twitter is blowing up with "must see" this film.

I definitely feel like $40M is in play here, but maybe I'm severely wrong.

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Moms was a comedy aimed towards females(25-30 year olds) the 30 and up crowd saw it on the weekend. While the 25 and younger crowd went to see it for an alternative film on Thursday night. Sausage Party is a film that people will be curious to see because it's an animated R-rated film which is rarely seen in today's day and age. But a $30 million opening wouldn't be bad, but I would like to see $35+ million OW.

Yes, 30M is conservative and it could easily do better.

Probably 30/35/40 is the low/mid/high range.

KFP opened to 41M. Would be something if FKP(:ph34r:) opened close to it. Other similar openers would be LOT, IDR, CONJ2.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Comparisons for the three day weekend based on previews:

Neighbors 2 - $43m

Ted 2 - $42.5m

Bad Moms - $3.3m

22 Jump Street - $34.3m

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $34.2m

Was Ted 2 really not that front loaded over the opening weekend? I swear it was more front loaded than that.

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

80 minute film about dick jokes.

...and vags too. There's also a lesbian taco voiced by Salma Hayek.

We can pretty much assume that it will be a fish taco, right?

Edited by Cochofles

Variety is extrapolating worse than Deadline...Oooff

Sony’s raunchy animated comedy “Sausage Party” made $3.25 million from 2,632 locations at Thursday night early shows. It’s expected to finish third this weekend, behind “Pete’s Dragon” and “Suicide Squad,” with about $15 million.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It seems nowadays that if you are pro anything in a film people wonder if it's going to turn a certain segment of the population off. Pro God? That will piss people off Pro atheist? That will piss people off pro agnostic? That will piss people off. Everything is going to piss off somebody, so who cares?

And that is exactly why so many films are so bland and utterly forgettable. They are designed to be inoffensive to as many people as possible, which keeps them from having a distinct "personality" or a unique 'voice.' Movies by committee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yes, 30M is conservative and it could easily do better.

Probably 30/35/40 is the low/mid/high range.

KFP opened to 41M. Would be something if FKP(:ph34r:) opened close to it. Other similar openers would be LOT, IDR, CONJ2.

so last night I reported on here that SP for my theater did 90% more than Neighbors 2.  That put it in line to make near $3.2M for Thursday (and it came in at $3.3M).  hopefully it can continue that pattern, because that film was 13x.  But as loud as the film is and taboo, I could see it doing better.  I can't really see this as fanboy driven.  I'm looking at sales around me today and it's selling.  Late night business will be sell outs galore.

• Like 3

R-Rated animation hasn't done all that well in the past (theatrically, at least) but I'm hoping this will buck the trend.  I just want to see more expansion in what kinds of films animation is used for as a medium.

That is a good preview though.  If this does well and gets 30m (or more) for its opening weekend (and it's WOM doesn't absolutely suck), I imagine it can leg it out to 90-100m.  

...how does one do the spoiler cut?

Edited by Sal

Deadline and Variety predicting $15M OW....off of $3.3M previews. This should be the time when they realize that updating their articles completely and not just inserting numbers is actually important. Because wow they look dumb. :rofl:

• Like 3