Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Okay, it is MUCH easier to think of this as one episode told in two parts.  As such, I think combining the two as one viewing experience, I can give it an easy 9.5/10.  Makes me wonder just how much these next episodes will all be interconnected.

Ironically and despite my protestations to the contrary, it might just work better in binge format, especially if they really are all gonna be 30 min episodes.

Still, I'm hooked.  I mean, I would be, wouldn't I?  Even so, this is very intriguing.

====

If anything this was even more minimalist than the last episode, and even more Spaghetti Western-ish.  Which is no mean feat.  While a decent amount of the episode wasn't exactly told from the viewpoint of The Child (as the show calls the character), it was still as if we were watching The Mandalorian through their eyes (even had an occasional explicit shot doing just that).

What I particularly liked is the sense of innocence and just childlike wonder.  Definitely liked it when they decided they wanted a snack.  

Just an overall excellent start to the series.  And now I really wonder where they're going here.  Gonna be fun to find out though.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

30 minutes feels short, but as long as the show is good, I guess that's what matters. 

No, you're right, it is short.  But if you combine the first two episodes, it doesn't feel as short and works as a "proper" length episode of TV.

===

Interestingly enough, the second episode DID have a title (The Child).  Makes me think only the first didn't have one.

• Like 1

Good episode.

The show seems committed to not showing a minute more than necessary to hit A to B to C.

I wonder if The Mando With No Name will end up not turning Yoda Jr over and get hunted as a result, or if he does turn Jr over but then gets second thoughts/regrets and goes back to free it. Either sounds possible.

But it puts Giancarlo Esposito's upcoming Imperial character in some new advance context.

• Like 3

Just the inclusion of The Child and the Jawas made this more fun to watch than the last episode. I still don't see having a faceless protagonist working well and I think it's pretty clear what's gonna happen though. I hope the rest of the series is more light-hearted like this one compared to the first episode.

Watching this thing in HDR on my TV was terrible though. The grey/brown look is still ugly and flat and looks even worse on HDR. Some of darker scenes were completely unwatchable. Seriously, I'm confused as to why all the non-Sequel Disney Star Wars films and this show have that terrible dark and grey look.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just the inclusion of The Child and the Jawas made this more fun to watch than the last episode. I still don't see having a faceless protagonist working well and I think it's pretty clear what's gonna happen though. I hope the rest of the series is more light-hearted like this one compared to the first episode.

Watching this thing in HDR on my TV was terrible though. The grey/brown look is still ugly and flat and looks even worse on HDR. Some of darker scenes were completely unwatchable. Seriously, I'm confused as to why all the non-Sequel Disney Star Wars films and this show have that terrible dark and grey look.

on which TV are you watching this?
on my SONY it was very nice picture! HDR should make your picture better not worse hmm

Marek

19 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

on which TV are you watching this?
on my SONY it was very nice picture! HDR should make your picture better not worse hmm

Marek

Been watching it on a Sony TV. HDR adds this darker slightly brownish tint on my TV (not sure if HDR does that) and its mostly unnoticable but it just made Mandolorian harder to watch because of how darkly lit many of the scenes already were.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I had no issues with the lighting on my HDR

• Like 1

Second episode makes this feel all the more like this was a feature length Boba Fett script that has been cut into pieces, had some filler added in to pad out the runtime, and turned into 8 episodes of a show, and that's why each episode is only half an hour long, and is still loaded with filler.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TMP said:

There's so little depth to any of the characters here, really hard to care about anything. The protagonist just feels like an action figure. I guess this show isn't for me, hope other people enjoy it.

I think I'm having fun with it because there is some playfulness in there and the short episode length means it's a pretty easy watch. But the episodes are mostly filler and like I said, it's pretty much impossible to write a faceless protagonist. It's lot closer to Rogue One and Solo (but more enjoyable) than TLJ or even TFA. The show has me engaged enough to finish watching it but I'll probably never rewatch it.

• Like 1

If the episodes are all that short, it has to be the most expensive TV show ever by a large margin: $100 million for 260 minutes. That's why the CGI can look much like the modern SW movies. Or the opposite, if that was the goal, that explains why the episodes are so short.

I hoped for better. I don't understand why these 2 episodes were separate. They would have sort of made sense as a single episode. But other than that, where is the budget? This is supposed to have a 12m per episode budget (seeing how there are only 8 episodes). That's GOT level but that doesn't show at all. GOT had so many characters so actors had to be paid. Here there are hardly a few actors. Similar with VFX. Yoda's face looked ok, but the movement... it was so obvious it was a puppet. Unless we get a huge VFX spectacle at the end of the season, I don't get where the money is.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Been watching it on a Sony TV. HDR adds this darker slightly brownish tint on my TV (not sure if HDR does that) and its mostly unnoticable but it just made Mandolorian harder to watch because of how darkly lit many of the scenes already were.

wich model? HDR should not add any brownish tint... something is wrong....
M.

I'm really split on how I feel about it so far. I love the score and the visuals (minus the occasional puppet wonkiness), but I'm iffy on the story so far. I don't think I like Yoda Jr. having such an aptitude for the force before he can even speak, let alone form complex thoughts or emotions. I also don't like the implication that this ability is because of his species (they really seem to want to walk back the ethos of the Force presented in TLJ).

Also, I found the Jawa scavengers being, well, Jawas unnecessary. Are they just naturally inclined to build Sandcrawlers and roam around desolate desert planets or something? Perhaps there is a central Jawa authority that dispatches them to a specific Sandcrawler? Definitely nitpicking, because I really enjoyed the Sandcrawler action scene.

I loved episode two. The pace and tone are more enjoyable than episode one, although I liked the first one a lot.

I love the Spaghetti Western/Samurai vibe they're going with, including the music, and that we got to see disintegration in action.

The Child could not be cuter and I'm thrilled with his presence. 

JAWAS! ANH was the first SW movie I ever saw as a six year old kid, the Jawa/R2D2 scene was my favorite scene when I first saw it. Utinni! Fan servicey? Sure and that's okay.

The length is fine with me since the pacing is good but I wish they'd been more upfront about this apparently being a 30 minute show.

• Like 2

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/15/20965374/star-wars-mandalorian-disney-plus-episode-2-samurai-jack

The moment I realized that we were supposed to see the Mandalorian as a highly competent but emotionally-stunted idiot who nothing ever goes right for, the entire show clicked. Now, I can do more than just enjoy the display of his skills. I can root for him, worry about him, yell at him to make better decisions.

The Mandalorian is my idiot son who can’t take care of a baby who is older than he is, and I love him.

I can get behind this

• Like 3