Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Both Paddington are before verified era. I did expect a little better tbh but it might also just be worth considering americans just care and like this one less than their overseas and especially european counterparts. Paddington 2 had an 82% OS ratio may I remind lol

Oh yeah, I forgot about the verified audience scores being more recent.

The OS ratio for Paddington is very understandable, it's incredibly British and has never really crossed the atlantic. This IP is much more well known in America though obviously, so it should do a lot better than just 20ish % of the gross. We will see soon enough though.

You're opinions about audience score is too based on too much years of formulaic blockbusters like cinecomic, Disney live movies etc..

So 98% that works.

90% that not work very well.

Barbie has a 83%. Get out an 86%.

When people don't know what they are about to see cause It's something new and not Avengers 18 It's easier more people won't like It cause It wasn't what they thought. 

Still the movie can be very liked by the others and the WOM being great 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I definitely think the extraordinary 10x multiplier some people were hoping for is out of the question at this point, should still do some solid holiday business though

I don’t think it gets a 10X multi but how can you say it’s “out of the question at this point” when it’s been out for a day? 

1 minute ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I don’t think it gets a 10X multi but how can you say it’s “out of the question at this point” when it’s been out for a day? 

I don't see it with just an A- coupled with the prerelease hype that got it to the opening weekend it has managed

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't see it with just an A- coupled with the prerelease hype that got it to the opening weekend it has managed

BOSAS got B+ and look at those legs. Maybe CS works differently for family movies but it isn't as reliable as some make it out to be.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BOSAS got B+ and look at those legs. Maybe CS works differently for family movies but it isn't as reliable as some make it out to be.

The way some are acting like a A- is a C+ or something. I just think maybe hiding that it was a musical is hurting it a little with those people  that just naturally bristle at being surprised or something.

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

At least BOSAS we can argue that it is the dark twist ending that probably left some negative feeling among audience, Wonka is a harmless, holiday-friendly movie which people should have no excuse to "hate" it.  

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

At least BOSAS we can argue that it is the dark twist ending that probably left some negative feeling among audience, Wonka is a harmless, holiday-friendly movie which people should have no excuse to "hate" it.  

I’m not sure I would call it “hate”, but I think the Cinema Score was likely a result of some not knowing it was a musical, and possibly from those expecting a different take on the character.

For what it’s worth, the RT audience score has risen to 90% now. I personally think it’s a little early to judge what this film’s run is going to look like.

Edited by MovieMagic

26 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The way some are acting like a A- is a C+ or something. I just think maybe hiding that it was a musical is hurting it a little with those people  that just naturally bristle at being surprised or something.

17 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Yeah, A- is no C+ (and that didn'ts top WOWS legs) and good point about hiding it's a musical.

7 minutes ago, MovieMagic said:

I’m not sure I would call it “hate”, but I think the Cinema Score was likely a result of some not knowing it was a musical, and possibly from those expecting a different take on the character.

For what it’s worth, the RT audience score has risen to 90% now. I personally think it’s a little early to judge what this film’s run is going to look like.

It's BO Theory so judging a film's run after a day and a half of a release is par for the course. This weekend last year being a prime example when Avatar WOW opened and so many just lost their shit when it did not explode out of the gate.

I think the silliest thing is people here on BO Theory thinking that Wonka will have legs because “there won’t be competition”… post pandemic if people don’t have a movie they’re excited to see they stay home. Going to the movies every week hasn’t been the norm post pandemic. Barbie, The Little Mermaid, ATSV, Oppenheimer and Mario were cinematic events. People were excited to see this films, they weren’t “oh nothing else is playing so let me go see this movie”. 

It seems like people on this forum are expecting this to do better despite the underperformance domestically for the opening week. Films post pandemic don’t perform like Jumanji or The Greatest Showman anymore. If people don’t have anything that they want to see at the movies they stay home.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, joselowe said:

It seems like people on this forum are expecting this to do better despite the underperformance domestically for the opening week. Films post pandemic don’t perform like Jumanji or The Greatest Showman anymore. If people don’t have anything that they want to see at the movies they stay home.

This isn't true. We haven't even had enough winters to prove this yet.

• Knock It Off 2

17 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think the silliest thing is people here on BO Theory thinking that Wonka will have legs because “there won’t be competition”… post pandemic if people don’t have a movie they’re excited to see they stay home. Going to the movies every week hasn’t been the norm post pandemic. Barbie, The Little Mermaid, ATSV, Oppenheimer and Mario were cinematic events. People were excited to see this films, they weren’t “oh nothing else is playing so let me go see this movie”. 

Puss In Boots? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, joselowe said:

It's been open less than 2 days and already exceeded expectations but sure go with underperfromance thing.

3 hours ago, joselowe said:

You’re not wrong. 

• Like 1