kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dinklage is not at all wrong about how the dwarfs have been used for stereotypical purposes in previous adaptations of the story (Snow White & the Huntsman faced controversy when it came out nearly a decade ago for using famous actors and digitally shrinking them as opposed to casting actual dwarf-sized actors), including the Disney cartoon, on top of Hollywood's often unfortunate treatment of dwarf-sized actors in the past.

But it's silly to go after a movie that hasn't even shot a single frame of footage yet, especially when he doesn't know anything more about the direction Disney is taking with this than we do. And so far it seems like this is going to be a very different interpretation of the story from the cartoon since every piece of info released indicates they're looking to soften up the more "problematic" elements of the original fairy tale upon which it was based (they just announced the other week that the Inheritance dude is playing a new character that will serve as the male lead and not the prince, presumably so they can avoid the whole "true love's kiss while she's unconscious" stuff).

On the contrary, if the source material is problematic then raising awareness about why when it’s still possible for them to make changes seems more effective than criticizing post-release. 

His comments at least provoked a response.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fox20 said:

I wish Disney did not answer shit and just do their thing, they just gave Peter comment more attention that what he got with his comment, it even trended because of that.

What did people expect as answer? "yes, we are going to stop adapting these iconic old stories that make so much money because it may or not may have some someone offended not matter what"?

The line between fiction and reality is really broken.

This film will be lucky to make half of live action Dumbo numbers

If you are an actor with dwarfism then the only job opportunities are Snow White adaptations, a Munckin/Oompa Loompa or some freak show shit. I'm glad that Dinklage is no longer having it. The fact that he has won more opportunities and is using his clout to make life easier and more dignified for other actors of dwarfism makes his gesture even more selfless and commendable.

Any old source material can be problematic, it's just a matter of how you adapt newer versions. Black Panther the movie renamed/revamped M'Baku from the original comics, and there wasn't a big controversy when the movie came out.

This version of Snow White hasn't even started filming yet and has anyone seen a script? The "Seven Dwarfs" in this version could be a family instead of seven dudes, people with proper names, different jobs, well-rounded character development, some dialogue about respectful treatment - we have no idea. Even before Dinklage said anything, I doubt Disney was planning to roll out Sleepy, Doc, et al, without some consideration that it's the 2020s and this movie will have to endure intense scrutiny over the story elements.

On the other hand, the depiction of dwarfism (real or imagined) in entertainment through the years has been pretty stereotypical and frequently insulting overall, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" in particular has undoubtedly led to a lot of "jokes" and bullying for people of short stature in real life. It's not that shocking if Peter Dinklage just wants the property of Snow White to be launched into the sun and never see any version of it again. That doesn't mean everyone with dwarfism feels the same way, or that Disney had been planning for this new version to depict a bunch of offensive tropes until just now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meridan said:

I find it amazing that people have decided that Peter Dinklage speaks for all people of his stature. 

I mean, how many dwarf-sized actors are there that carry the level of industry respect and instant name recognition that he has achieved? It's no surprise that his comments managed to attract a lot more attention than they would have coming from anyone else.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:14 PM, filmlover said:

I mean, how many dwarf-sized actors are there that carry the level of industry respect and instant name recognition that he has achieved? It's no surprise that his comments managed to attract a lot more attention than they would have coming from anyone else.

When you're at the top, kick the ladder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10449549/Dwarf-actors-slam-Peter-Dinklage-canceling-seven-dwarves.html

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, meridan said:

I find it amazing that people have decided that Peter Dinklage speaks for all people of his stature. 

If you’re going to make a rude pun, at least be more creative than stealing one from Shrek.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, meridan said:

2 hours ago, meridan said:

Here, let me clue you in on something that you obviously can’t comprehend. Yes, no one person can represent for their entire background and yes, people from the same background can have differing viewpoints on what’s okay and what’s not, BUT just because one person from said background doesn’t bother them, mean that invalidates why it’s offensive. 

Peter not only "expressed" and unbased opinion, he pretty much denied 7 people the chance to star in a big movie, just because he can take any role he wants at this point.

Both Shang Chi and Black Panther had offensive sterotype, that did not make it to the movies, the only missfire has been Mulan.

Hell Encanto was getting backlash from the trailers, now it's completely gone.

Edited by Fox20

34 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Peter not only "expressed" and unbased opinion, he pretty much denied 7 people the chance to star in a big movie, just because he can take any role he wants at this point.

Not sure what that mean, if they do not cancel the project, there will be 7 roles played by 7 person no ? Hard to see them doing it without those roles, specially with the spotlight put on them and being a Disney version that would not go far from it like the Stewart/Hemsowrth/Theron one.

Gadot is currently in London filming the live-action Disney film Snow White, where she is playing The Evil Queen. When I asked Gadot how her filming experience has been going so far, she answered with a playfully sinister voice, “I love it (laughs)! It’s fun, I get to do something different. I get to sing and I get to dance and I get to play the villain, which is something that I’ve never done before - and it’s the first Disney villain ever. I really enjoy working with all people involved, with Marc Webb [directing] and Marc Platt producing and Disney, of course, [actress] Rachel Zegler. It’s just a great experience and I really, really enjoy it and The Evil Queen is very evil, so it’s going to be interesting.”