kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

both quotes out of his tweet

When Mercury and his bandmates are working their magic, the movie will rock you. But when its going through the biopic motions, you won’t be having a good time (having a good time).

2 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

how is the movie not good when it was directed by Bryan Singer?  

does the studio purposely edit hours and hours of the filmed movie into a crapfest?  ...LOL??

Jack & The Beanstalk & X-Men Apocalypse say hi.

If it wasn't edited by Singer it's because he was kicked off his movie with 2 weeks left to film because he kept going AWOL - which is his wont and has been covered up by Fox for years.

From the reviews it sounds like the script wasn't much help

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Jack & The Beanstalk & X-Men Apocalypse say hi.

If it wasn't edited by Singer it's because he was kicked off his movie with 2 weeks left to film because he kept going AWOL - which is his wont and has been covered up by Fox for years.

From the reviews it sounds like the script wasn't much help

well it shouldn't be too hard to make a movie when going from approximately 3 hours of footage to 2 hours of footage and having a budget in excess of 50 million.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I doubt he's getting nominated at this point. In addition to the baggage the film carries, the fact he did none of the singing will be a big knock against him. Hopefully he'll continue to get good film work after this with Mr. Robot ending since he is very talented.

A dubbing controversy. Shades of Audrey Hepburn and "My Fair Lady" back in 1964, where her songs being dubbed by another singer pretty much cost her a Oscar Nomination.

Edited by dudalb

6 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I don't foresee any Oscar noms for Bohemian Rape City, not even for actor. 

Still think the GA will like it and the movie will become a sizable hit. 

yes and some festival and industry favorites won't do as well as critics and pundits peg them to based on festival, SAG, HPFA,etc screenings, just like First Man. They are not GA so tastes sometimes overlap and sometimes don't. Venom, for example, was a complete rejection of professional critic's opinion not only the enormous OW but very decent legs too.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

That didn’t stop Denzel last year with similar reviews (inb4 “BUT IT’S DENZEL”)

It's the dubbing issue..that  will hurt Malek come nomination time.  Even if the film was better received that would still be a major stumbling block for Malek.  If Malek had done his own singing, his chances would be a lot better.

it's alweays a hard call when doing a musical biopic whether to dub in the singer's original voice, or have the actor do it.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

First Man was rise, rise, rise.

Even more boring & cliché & déjà vu.

If there s nothing tragic in your biopic, why bother ?

You can't reinvent how life works I am afraid.

You go from point A ( a nobody) to point B ( the reason they made a movie  a bout you)

It  s not rocket science.

This constant criticism of biopics with the same arguments  always amused me because the structure of any movie is the same yet people never point out it s always the same, bizarely they do it more on biopics.

nothing tragic? his daughter and all his buddies died in that movie.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

How many Queen songs are featured prominently ?

How many Galileos ?

I would be all of their big hits will be featured prominently. People going to see a biopic about Freddy Mercury are going to expect to see Queen's big hits performed.

Having seen the film, it is a bog standard biopic but it's very entertaining when it comes to the musical numbers and the last twenty minutes are incredible.

Rami is fantastic as Freddie but I think they got the casting of Brian May and John Deacon pretty on, considering Deacon was the quiet one of Queen, his portrayal is done well. Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor doesn't match the other three at all.

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Having seen the film, it is a bog standard biopic but it's very entertaining when it comes to the musical numbers and the last twenty minutes are incredible.

Rami is fantastic as Freddie but I think they got the casting of Brian May and John Deacon pretty on, considering Deacon was the quiet one of Queen, his portrayal is done well. Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor doesn't match the other three at all.

TGS multiplier confirmed :ph34r:

In all seriousness, while it may not open to A Star Is Born's 40+ or anything like that, the fact that everyone is raving the musical acts and Malek's performance probably means this is getting great audience wom and will leg it out to a potential 100M+ DOM.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

So basically, I can just re-watch my Queen and Live Aid DVDs

55 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

TGS multiplier confirmed :ph34r:

In all seriousness, while it may not open to A Star Is Born's 40+ or anything like that, the fact that everyone is raving the musical acts and Malek's performance probably means this is getting great audience wom and will leg it out to a potential 100M+ DOM.

Actually, BR's Pulse sales at this point in time are pretty close to ASIB at the same point in time (one week before release). ASIB is still edging it out, but that was more presales-driven due to Gaga's fanbase. 40+ is pretty likely, with 35+ being all but a lock IMO

• Like 1