75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Those are ridiculous comparisons .  Might as well call it an "Urban movie" which is a bullshit descriptor.

The Free State Of Jones is a far better recent comparison. 

Or if one wants to compare biopics of important black figures then Selma or Malcom X.  Or savery movies - Armistiad, 12 Years A Slaves.  Or Civil War movies -Lincoln, Glory.  Etc etc. 

But Pootie Tang?  GTFO

$15.5m+ another $15-20m in marketing  =  $30-35m output for $7.5m back in box office - maybe a million or two O/S but I don't see it making much without award contention.  There's ancillary but $23-28m worth, that's a long haul to get to  break even.   Not a big write down for a major studio at all but for the specialty arm of Searchlight it's significant.

I can't imagine they spent $15-20 million on marketing. It has a few tv spots and that was it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also, Moonlight is still killing it in limited release. Could it eventually pass Ex Machina to become A24's biggest grosser to date?

If it doesn't get Carol'd at the Oscars, sure. It should crawl to mid-to-high teens by early January. So far it reminds me of Boyhood's run except in fall/winter.

Just now, Frozen said:

I can't imagine they spent $15-20 million on marketing. It has a few tv spots and that was it.

They were reportedly contractually obligated to spend that much.  They also had to hire people to spin the Parker debacle, some very expensive PR people that he ignored. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Arclight lost a lot of my business when they continued to list that they had a spicy mustard sauce for their sausage baguettes but for five times running only had some weird bbq watermelon sauce (which I didn't try).

Also, Tele introduced me to a considerably less expensive theater with better seats.  :ph34r:

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I think it's actually for everyone who served in the military whether they were involved with a war or not.

You are right, of course.  I just meant that originally it was Armistice Day and was specifically about WWI, but then they broadened it.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Good Friday #'s all around. Curious is Trolls can beat Croods Dom ($187M), if it's legs are still as strong.

I feel like FB will cause both Doctor Strange and Trolls to decline hard next weekend, even though Doctor Strange will have it more than Trolls, then you have Moana five days later which is getting good buzz and will be a hit, so Trolls will lose some audiences, but the week after that the post-thanksgiving period, it will decline hard, so It might not match Croods.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Those are ridiculous comparisons .  Might as well call it an "Urban movie" which is a bullshit descriptor.

The Free State Of Jones is a far better recent comparison. 

Or if one wants to compare biopics of important black figures then Selma or Malcom X.  Or slavery movies - Armistiad, 12 Years A Slave.  Or Civil War movies -Lincoln, Glory.  Etc etc. 

But Pootie Tang?  GTFO

$15.5m+ another $15-20m in marketing  =  $30-35m output for $7.5m back in box office - maybe a million or two O/S but I don't see it making much without award contention.  There's ancillary but $23-28m worth, that's a long haul to get to  break even.   Not a big write down for a major studio at all but for the specialty arm of Searchlight it's significant.

Yeah, it's like comparing a George Washington biopic to Joe Dirt or Freddy Got Fingered.

• Like 1

Just saw War Dogs and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates with a few friends and wow. I never expected to like those movies even nearly as much as I did.

War Dogs was marketed all wrong, but it was quite great. I think it is Top 15 for the year for me.

Mike and Dave is THE best comedy I've seen in a really long time. Everyone was laughing through the entire movie. Really nice when movies surprise me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Arrival was very good. BUT, it got way too cute and thinking it was clever with the climax resolution. That kind of plot resolution almost never works well and usually gets an eyeroll from me.

Told you that s Dennis Villeneuve s life story.

Arrival is pretty amazing but I'm curious about how audiences will react to it. One old guy walked out halfway through it lol. It's certainly a cerebral, carefully-paced movie with no real money shots (but not so off-putting that audiences will be completely turned off like The Tree of Life or something).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Arrival is pretty amazing but I'm curious about how audiences will react to it. One old guy walked out halfway through it lol. It's certainly a cerebral, carefully-paced movie with no real money shots (but not so off-putting that audiences will be completely turned off like The Tree of Life or something).

No one at my theatre liked the ending except my mom and I. 

5th Writethru , Saturday AM after Friday 11:30PM: Moviegoing is getting quite a boost this weekend thanks to Veterans Day falling on a Friday. Not only are holdovers overindexing, but Paramount’s Arrival is flying past its $15M forecast with an estimated $23.4M. As distribution suits like to say, when there’s a majority of titles appealing to various crowds, it’s an embarrassment of riches.

Based on early morning estimates, Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange collected $14.9M on Friday taking its 3-day to $43M. That will easily beat the $36.6M second weekend of Marvel’s previous fall superhero movie Thor: The Dark World. By Sunday, Doctor‘s running cume of $153M will be pacing 6% ahead of Thor 2 which finaled at $206.4M.

1). Doctor Strange  (DIS), 3,882 theaters / $14.9M Fri. (-54%)/ 3-day cume: $43M (-49%) /Total cume: $153M/Wk 1

2). Trolls  (DWA/20th Century Fox), 4.066 theaters (+6) / $12.3M Fri. (0%) / 3-day cume: $34.8M (-25%) /Total Cume: $93.7M/Wk 1

3). Arrival  (PAR), 2,317 theaters / $9.3M Fri. (includes $1.45m previews) / 3-day cume: $23.4M/ Wk 1

4). Almost Christmas  (UNI), 2,376 theaters / $5.9M Fri. (includes $500K previews) / 3-day cume: $15.3M/ Wk 1

5). Hacksaw Ridge  (Lionsgate), 2,971 theaters / $3.8M Fri. (-28%) /$5.9M Sat./$3.5M Sun/ 3-day cume: $11.5M (-24%)/Total: $32.9M/ Wk 2

http://deadline.com/2016/11/arrival-doctor-strange-almost-christmas-weekend-box-office-1201852814/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My mom thought it was a bit slow but she liked it, she is a fan of Amy Adams and she liked the twist very much.

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Funny you should bring up The Tree of Life, since Arrival did kind of remind me of what a Malick film might be like if he wasn't so pretentious in his film-making. Villeneuve is Malick done right lol. 

• Like 2