cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Glad to see this one get great reactions. The Byron Howard movies are among the best of this era of WDAS films (Tangled, Zootopia) and thought Bolt was pretty decent as well. 

bolt is cute as hell

Still disappointing Chris Sanders was fired. Fuck John Lasseter.

but then Sanders made How to Train Your Dragon

Amazing movie best one since Zootopia. I enjoyed the main focus on family drama and fleshing them out as characters and it's also why alot of the humourlands better here. Weirdly the weakest part of the movie might have been the songs 

Spoiler

Then again We Don't Talk About Bruno  is stuck in my head

On 11/28/2021 at 6:04 PM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Glad to see this one get great reactions. The Byron Howard movies are among the best of this era of WDAS films (Tangled, Zootopia) and thought Bolt was pretty decent as well. 

Dude’s kind of like the Pete Docter of WDAS, (although the directing styles and thematic material the two do are night and day, and I think Docter is the better of the two) as they both bring the best of the studio’s slate this and the past decade. 

I understand they want to put this out in time for Christmas. but Encanto is heading toward $100m+ based on the holiday legs that usually come around that time. But putting it on Disney+ for free. is going to cut into it's box office pretty badly and may cost them their first $100m+ animated film since the pandemic started.

I have to say as someone who had been on the Byron Howard train post-Zootopia and LMM train post-Moana, I was pretty disappointed by this. It's not all that funny, songs were forgettable and the plot is too thin and incident-driven to justify its feature length. Couldn't really sympathize with any character besides Antonio.

I feel like Disney is in danger of getting too comfortable with their agreeably bright, "magic realism" animation style and their "love conquers all" formula. They really need to shake things up with their future slate.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1