cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Pixar and Disney Animation films proving that even in changing environment quality and goodwill build with audience from decades of great films guarantee success and cultural relevance, past films found it in theaters, nowadays they do it on streaming. 

Soul, Luca and now Encanto, huge hits for Disney plus, good films will always find the audience. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:33 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Was worried with the pandemic it would get a bit forgotten but hopefully it has staying power like Moana on Disney+

To me Encanto is way better than Moana. I hope Encanto gets all the attention that Moana has got during these two years

Watched this today, it was cute, but again, I didn’t find any of the songs memorable.

Side note: When a parent figure died, literally about 9 seconds into the film, I almost threw my phone at the TV. It’s so tired, Disney. It’s become a weird infatuation for them. Such a lazy trope. 

A generous 3/5 or 6/10

Edited by Krissykins

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is heading for a top ten on the Billboard Hot 100 next week. It’ll be only the seventh song from an animated Disney movie to make that feat, and the first since “Let It Go” made it to #5 in 2014.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Encanto’s success only shows that Disney made a mistake by not making Raya a musical,or at least, having a couple of songs.  The Disney movies that have been more remembered over time are musicals. Coco, Frozen 1&2, Moana and tangled are still in people’s mind, while Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Ralph or Inside out are not as popular as they used to be

Just now, Mau said:

Encanto’s success only shows that Disney made a mistake by not making Raya a musical,or at least, having a couple of songs.  The Disney movies that have been more remembered over time are musicals. Coco, Frozen 1&2, Moana and tangled are still in people’s mind, while Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Ralph or Inside out are not as popular as they used to be

Raya should've been a mini series imo. Why does it have to be a movie in the streaming age?

14 hours ago, Mau said:

The way Moana and Zootopia switched positions in popularity over the last 2-3 years compared to in 2016 when Moana was seen as the lesser film (which 🙄) shows how the original Sing releasing so soon after did real damage to Moana's BO legs and exposure during first run. Ah well, at least the film is getting all the love and recognition that it rightfully deserved.

15 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Side note: When a parent figure died, literally about 9 seconds into the film, I almost threw my phone at the TV. It’s so tired, Disney. It’s become a weird infatuation for them. Such a lazy trope. 

He's not a parent of the protagonist and his death is the biggest reason for the intergenerational trauma that is the central theme of the film. No death, no film, so I don't get this complaint.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Watched this today, it was cute, but again, I didn’t find any of the songs memorable.

A generous 3/5 or 6/10

Are you going to throw a phone when Batman parents die again?

4 hours ago, Mau said:

gross.

Not everything needs to be a musical.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

He's not a parent of the protagonist and his death is the biggest reason for the intergenerational trauma that is the central theme of the film. No death, no film, so I don't get this complaint.

None of that negates that it is a repeated and lazy trope that Disney use over and over again. 

33 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Are you going to throw a phone when Batman parents die again?

I’ve seen that parent death 5 too many times. Just not as many times as Disney animated films.