cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

I may go see it on Christmas but I enjoyed it immensely.

No, it's not funny, I was thinking that watching it, but I appreciate that. We don't always need slapstick or humor.

Spoiler

Aesthetics aside, I found the Bruno parts weakest. It wasn't doing a ton for me.

They do try to point out Abuela's relationship toward each family member and do a fair job, but I'm not sure her parents said more than 5 words to Isabela in this entire runtime.

Also I'm glad I watched it at home first because I don't think anyone would have appreciated me crying at the river scene.

For the first 50 minutes, I thought this could be my new favorite WDAS film, but alas, no, it still is the best film they've done since Tangled, if not Tarzan. Would definitely say top 5.

• Like 3

Was honestly disappointed with this. The animation is among Disney’s most colorful and energetic and several of the songs are quite catchy, but WDAS still can’t seem to get their act together with telling fully cohesive stories where several of the characters don’t come off as needlessly unlikeable. I guess it did good in making me root for Maribel, but that’s in part because several of her family members were needlessly passive-aggressive if not straight up cruel to her,

and I didn’t fully buy their redemptions.

The movie itself can’t seem to decide wether to be on Maribel’s side or not half the time either, and the ending makes the overall message less effective than it should’ve been. Some of the supporting cast is quite good and I laughed more than a few times, but the story itself could’ve been MUCH stronger.

It’s better than Frozen II (because it’s not as directionless) and the Wreck-it-Ralph sequel (because the lead(s) aren’t mean-spirited idiots), but compared to the likes of Moana, the first Frozen, and even Raya, it wasn’t close to as good. And WDAS should really start having proper antagonists again (and I’m not talking about their obvious twist villains that were a thing for a while), since their current no-villain trend is starting to wear thin.

Edited by cookie
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, cookie said:

And WDAS should really start having proper antagonists again

^

Besides possibly the obvious, who did you think come off as unnecessarily mean?

Spoiler

The only person that really stands out as needlessly mean to Mirabel to me is Pepa. Isabela I get because of the insinuation that she has to be perfect and Mirabel can be whatever and imagines her just wanting to cause trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

I don't believe Disney movies should have villains for the sake of having villains, but the character drama here definitely didn't feel nuanced enough to resonate.

The problem for me is that they instead rely on overly vague external threats and/or contrived character drama to get by without them, see Frozen II and Ralph Breaks the Internet in particular. Raya worked because it was about a conflict between cultures, but a one out of four hit rate post-Moana isn’t enough. I’m hoping Strange Worlds can turn them around.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I felt like the redemption was too fast and the final 15 minutes felt incredibly rushed.

Spoiler

It made me cry but yeah after I finished clearing my tears i'm like "Oh....oh it's over?"

I'm really glad the others got to keep their powers. Would have been way too easy to teach them to be more than their powers without them.

Yep after seeing it a second time I can confirm that it’s my favorite Disney or Pixar film since “tangled”.It’s a film overflowing with warmth and empathy,perfect comfort film for any down day.    I see for some reason the film isn’t resonating as much with most(I mean the film is already at 7.4 on IMDb).I guess it’s one of those films that if you relate to the theme and story it will resonate more…….oh well.            

20 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I mean without spoilers this film clearly does have an antagonist even it's not an out and out villain like Scar or Jafar.

eh, very mildly sort of yeah. gonna guess they probably won't get a live action prequel film.