75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Even if Rogue One opens how Fantastic Beast did in terms of the franchise its a spin off from you're still looking at a $130M+ weekend and over $300M domestic. 

But of course folks on here will call it a failure. 

Regardless I don't see it happening. The Star Wars franchis is a much bigger beast than the Harry Potter one. 

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It doesn't automatically translate but to say it's a good or OK indicator is not looking at the facts...

But there aren't any facts about R1 yet... just guesses and suppositions based on past performance of other movies that may or may not ultimately be relevant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

And people wonder why The Force Awakens repeated so much from A New Hope.

I present exhibit A:

Fantastic Beasts' Thursday preview numbers

outside of the death star/starkiller base, tfa is more similar to tpm than anh

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No movie staring Darth Vader has ever made less than 500 m adjusted, so 300 m would be a disaster.

I've said it before, and I will say it again.

People don't go to the movies because a popular villain is making a cameo.

That's a cray cray notion for me.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And people wonder why The Force Awakens repeated so much from A New Hope.

I present exhibit A:

Fantastic Beasts' Thursday preview numbers

I thought about this just after it ended.... And, I prefer the route FB took to the stale, dull route TFA took. But, I didn't love either but for different reasons.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Just now, Nutella of Arabia said:

That feels like an insane reach to me. I've literally never thought about TPM while watching TFA.

because you don't like the prequels and you like the original trilogy. i can make a spreadsheet for you if you want.

34 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Where is @EmpireCity to tell all of us pessimists we're wrong again. lmao what a weak preview.

@Nutella of Arabia

I wasn't "abrasive first" if you even bothered to read the thread.  This is what @GiantCALBears posted and I posted absolutely nothing in this thread to engage him.  

Again, you didn't even bother to read the thread and don't call me out publicly if you have no clue what you are talking about.  Fell free to PM me next time if you aren't going to get it right.  

• Like 2

OS till Thursday

Doctor Strange  $360.8m .... Finding Dory  $ 539.5m .... Pete’s Dragon $65.6m.

Inferno  $174.4m  ... Arrival  $6.3m .....Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk  $16.6m

Trolls  $130.7m

Ouija: Origin Of Evil  $42.9m ... Nocturnal Animals i $3.3m..... Girl On The Train $10.9m.... American Honey $1m ... Bridget Jones’s Baby $159.2m.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back $75.7m .... Star Trek Beyond $184.5m.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fantastic-beasts-scores-69m-international-opening-salvo/5111448.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

article has also some FB details

• Like 4

Just now, water said:

because you don't like the prequels and you like the original trilogy. i can make a spreadsheet for you if you want.

I can't think of one major theme or plot point of TFA that connects to TPM more immediately or more directly than ANH. It doesn't really have anything to do with my like or dislike of either.

• Like 1

another thing about tfa is that rey and finn are completely different from anything ever before in the franchise. if you think tfa was a re-tread you just weren't paying attention to them, because of... whatever reasons cough cough

• Like 2