CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Both are no name to GA:ph34r:

One has a flawless track record. The other made his debut feature with Mortal Engines. Kind of makes a massive difference in terms of the difference in quality we can expect.

• Knock It Off 1

Mortal Engines may be shit but it was heavily advertised on Jackson's name and LOTR. It didn't help because previews were shit. Likewise, BR049 had "visionary director" and all that hype jazz and it bombed because previews were boring af and the original movie probably put a lot of people to sleep. In the end of the day, it's previews that make or break OW. Nolan may be a boxoffice draw but he just has the most hype-worthy previews for his movies so that really helps. 

IMO, Dune should take different approach from BR049. Instead of icy visuals, show warm human interaction, worms and action. People flock to movies if characters are likable. Nobody in BR049 was likable least of all in the trailer since accent was on cinematography. That appeals to movie buffs but not to GA and Dune is too expensive to shun GA.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

Dune is way more of a known property than ME though with a much more recognizable cast overall. Throw in Villeneuve's reputation among the more hardcore filmgoers, and the word will at least get out there (whether there's appeal to audiences or not).

Not to say Dune will be successful, but there's a lot of different factors compared to Mortal Engines.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

10 hours ago, TMP said:

They've been talking about that movie for years now, so at this point I'll believe it when I see it

i mean they're already doing costume fittings and filling out the supporting cast. it sounds like it's ready to start filming pretty soon

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i mean they're already doing costume fittings and filling out the supporting cast. it sounds like it's ready to start filming pretty soon

I guess it's out far enough to not Norbit Murphy for Dolemite is my Name - assuming he's great in it, of course.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nobody in BR049 was likable

That's not true at all. Come on

ERpRmmH.gif

MarvelousFluidDanishswedishfarmdog-size_

I can get people thinking Gosling was too cold - thought he was great in it personally - but those two were at the very least likable. It was the first time Ford gave a shit about a role in ages

• Like 6
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Not even list Stelline who was the best in BR2049 smh

I was gonna list Morton too, if only on the merit of how cute his tiny glasses are, but I restricted it to characters with a lot of screen-time (I know people could debate that in regards to Ford, but he was the second biggest character on the poster)

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, TMP said:

That's not true at all. Come on

ERpRmmH.gif

MarvelousFluidDanishswedishfarmdog-size_

I can get people thinking Gosling was too cold - thought he was great in it personally - but those two were at the very least likable. It was the first time Ford gave a shit about a role in ages

I felt sympathetic to Gosling. I guess i liked him. Shocking to some...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SLAM! said:

It makes me really happy that Warner Bros. is as confident as they are. I still think Dune has the potential to be the biggest film of 2020. Society is due for a true, sincere epic that unites the people in how exceptional it is (The Lord of the Rings and Avatar). I also expect this to be an Oscar player as well--that will ensure healthy legs.

In a way, I'm kind of glad Avatar 2 is coming out in 2021 now, Dec 18, 2020 was a perfect release date for A2, which is evident by how empty that slot looked for a while after it moved as studios juggle their release schedules.

I always thought having Dune and A2 releasing merely a month apart would cut short Dune's legs, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if Dune is more populist but as it stands it need all the help that it can get to truly shine, and I think a Dec slot with the same  arrangement as 2009 and 2015, with few direct competitions might just do it.

Looking back in the past years, it seems that even a relatively weak December slate, there's almost always a holiday breakout, the demand for holiday movie going cemented itself more after 2015. We have to go all way back to 2010 to have a Dec where there's not a break out big release (Tron Legacy, Narnia 3), but even those did much better than BR 2049. I'm feeling pretty positive about this date.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

P.S. December isn't necessarily sign of confidence. Mortal Engines got the same date. Remember what happened?

I think that December requires something to hit out, the raw demand is there and the habit of going to the theaters during the holiday has quite a bit of momentum (especially in recent years).  Mortal Engines died and MPR under-performed but Aquaman was able to break out and Bumblebee and Spider-verse could do respectable business.

If you look at 2020, it's hard to see Dune in the Mortal Engines position because there is simply not an Aquaman anywhere to be found, the Dec slate is more filled now but still weak. Uncharted needs to try its best to avoid being another Assassin's Creed, Cruella's got very little attention thus far, and West Side Story is your typical Dec film, it can perfectly co-exist with everything else, and Croods 2, while I will definitely watch it, not sure if that's going to be do much either, maybe similar numbers to Spider-verse, maybe a bit more. I think it's either a everything goes bust Dec (which we haven't seen in years, and something's got to benefit just from the existing demand), or Dune occupies the "Blockbuster of the holiday" position.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Knock It Off 1

@NCsoft Agreed that ME comparison isn't good cause Dune has much more going for it and WB is clearly expecting some above the line awards nominations. I'm just saying that studio confidence doesn't always translate into enormous success. This isn't SW or similar big brand or Nolan for competition to run away. 

• Like 1

Denis Villeneuve is one of the best filmmakers working today, and he's fully capable of making something accessible to the GA (Prisoners,Sicario to some extent). so if the Dune movies bomb the problem is not with him.

his filmography is as good as (if not richer:rock:) than Nolans. I've always found it odd that he never broke out to the mainstream audience. hopefully it starts with Dune.

• Knock It Off 1

December 2020 was certainly starving for a big event movie (unless you count Uncharted, I guess), so maybe this movie will be able to fill that role. It’s going to be an uphill battle, but hopefully it can pull that off. At the very least, I think it has better odds in December than it did in November. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I honestly didn't care for this movie before but all these "it will 100% flop" comments makes me want to root for this one to succeed. 

Also are parts of this being filmed in IMAX 70mm? Because I'll probably be moving to a place with a IMAX 70mm theater next year and this could be my first IMAX 70mm film (unless Tenet is still in IMAX 70mm cinemas in late September).

• Knock It Off 1

Really can't believe how blind some of you can be.

Villeneuve can't do fun even if his life depended on it.

He propably is one of those who truly think this is a curse word at the movies.

This movie will live and die depending on its tone.

Somehow I doubt Villeneuve will do some soul searching and discover he has some JJ Abraams or James Gunn in him.

Also, can you  make a fun version of Dune, Villeneuve or not ?

I don't know ...

And by fun , I don't necesseraly mean jokes ( ah ah big worms, so funny), but making a movie entertaining, engaging, with a sense of adventure, with likable characters.

All traits absent frm Villeneuve's filmography.

His movies are engaging but certainly not in the pop corn way.

Dennis, are you gonna make your Dune movie for movie buffs & yourself or for audiences ?

Or strike a miraculous balance between both.

Your move, Dennis.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Denis Villeneuve is one of the best filmmakers working today, and he's fully capable of making something accessible to the GA (Prisoners,Sicario to some extent). so if the Dune movies bomb the problem is not with him.

his filmography is as good as (if not richer:rock:) than Nolans. I've always found it odd that he never broke out to the mainstream audience. hopefully it starts with Dune.

I think it 100% is on him if it flops. It's not an easy source material to adapt and none of his movies - good as they may be - are crowd pleasers. As such, if Dune is more akin to BR49 (i.e. beautiful cinematography, great effects, but overlong, plodding, with unmemorable characters) it may very well be a better movie than a more action-heavy loose adaptation, but I can easily see it flopping. 

Marketing might be able to cut a good trailer to attract more people OW than BR49, but if the movie doesn't connect with audiences beyond that it will flop and, again, that's 100% on Villeneuve. 

• Like 1