FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Also, Lion is off to a very a mediocre start. Pales heavily in comparison to other prestige pictures that also launched on Black Friday (The King's Speech, The Artist, The Imitation Game, The Danish Girl), and it's awards buzz isn't anywhere nearly as loud as it was for any of those films. More trouble for Weinstein.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/oscar-contenders-silence-lion-la-la-land-nocturnal-animals-loving-1201859814/

• Like 2

Just now, Matrix4You said:

Is there going to be a box office conspiracy with these numbers?  How is it doing that poorly..  This is one of the worst performances i have ever tracked

The movie was doing virtually no business last weekend and most theaters have now put it down to 1 showtime a day everywhere, where it continues to draw no audience.

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

He calls it "huge"

Meanwhile at BOT...

giphy.gif

Yup, that's BOT alright.

BOT's just practicing their freakout muscles for the big event next month. :)

Spoiler

And, no, I'm not talking about Passengers:redcapes:

----

Real Talk though, the Rogue One Weekend Thread has the potential to be a dumpster fire.  In both directions.

I just hope we're collectively smart enough not to draw TOO many conclusions from the preview number, whatever it may be.  Personally I'm expecting it to be  inflated due to frontloadedness, so I hope there won't be too many folks trying to apply a direct comparison with TFA's preview number (RO did % of TFA's preview therefore RO OW's will be around % of TFA's OW).

Who am I kidding.  We ALL know the thread is going to be full of those types of projections. :P

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Is there going to be a box office conspiracy with these numbers?  How is it doing that poorly..  This is one of the worst performances i have ever tracked

68$ PTA. Only 5-6 people watched it in each theater yesterday across all shows combined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BOT's just practicing their freakout muscles for the big event next month. :)

Hide contents

And, no, I'm not talking about Passengers:redcapes:

----

Real Talk though, the Rogue One Weekend Thread has the potential to be a dumpster fire.  In both directions.

I just hope we're collectively smart enough not to draw TOO many conclusions from the preview number, whatever it may be.  Personally I'm expecting it to be  inflated due to frontloadedness, so I hope there won't be too many folks trying to apply a direct comparison with TFA's preview number (RO did % of TFA's preview therefore RO OW's will be around % of TFA's OW).

Who am I kidding.  We ALL know the thread is going to be full of those types of projections. :P

ab0Yr7p_700b.jpg

• Like 2

Billy Lynn is like a faint echo of Heaven's Gate in some ways. A director's ambitious follow-up to his multiple Oscars-winning film with a strange but interesting cast is killed by critical reception to such an extent that it barely spends any time in theaters and recoups about 5% of its production budget DOM. Thankfully said budget is $40m instead of $400m, and there's China, and I'm sure the industry will still like Ang Lee.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Billy Lynn is like a faint echo of Heaven's Gate in some ways. A director's ambitious follow-up to his multiple Oscars-winning film with a strange but interesting cast is killed by critical reception to such an extent that it barely spends any time in theaters and recoups about 5% of its production budget DOM. Thankfully said budget is $40m instead of $400m, and there's China, and I'm sure the industry will still like Ang Lee.

Rules Don't Apply's numbers are even more embarrassing tbh. It's not even gonna make as much as Town & Country did, and that film was of course a most miserable flop.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Billy Lynn will end up with a gross lower than Jem and the Holograms. Freaking Jem and the Holograms. This is unbelievable how badly it flopped and the release was botched.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Maybe the influence of the film ordering party went too far, the goal was formulated too narrow?

Only meant as an additional point

Edited by terrestrial