FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Exactly. It's crazy. 

Nobody was going "oh well, it's no Lion King" - after week one of Frozen's run. Let's see how it plays out.

The movie is fantastic. It's going to do great, right through the Christmas holidays. 

So many on here quick to judge a movie after mere days. See last week when Beasts was barely going to sneak over $200 million. 

What y'all in the "its the successor of Frozen" camp fail to remember is that Frozen was literally a freak of box office nature. Look at the chart on BOM for Thanksgiving Openings and the percentage of that in the total - we aren't being down on the film as much as being realistic about where it is headed competition or not. If it follows TS2 from here on out (doubtful as that film is over 17(!) years old) it wouldn't even make 250m and after having a higher opening day than Frozen it's already fallen 12m behind it's gross to date. Cultural phenomenons are just that and no one will deny that Moana is going to do well between now and the end of the year - just acknowledge the realistic outlook from some of us instead of writing us off as quick to Judge. 

And btw - this is not a surprise in my book since I have kept to under 250m for months just from looking at the calendar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This was my first reaction to the opening day number and now we're talking about 800+

Yeah.. I think we know where WB focus will be from now on. DC movies. Suicide Squad opening day could be bigger than FB weekend.

Edited by YSLDC

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Fantastic Beasts proving a whole lot of people wrong.  

I for one am thankful - mainly cause I like seeing films beat expectations lol. That hold this weekend is great and after seeing the film I can understand why as it was a crowd pleaser (at least for my showing.)

• Like 1

Yep, boxoffice phenomena/freaks of nature are that because they cannot be predicted. Not saying that very few can't see some of them coming for whatever reason (blind faith, really good grasp onfwhat audiences respond to) but it isn't a widespread recognition until after the fact.

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

All of this talk of director's and no one mentions Zemeckis rough run recently?

Haven't seen Allied yet (soon) but I'm actually kinda sad he is looking at two big misses in a row. Oh well, at least he's given us the closest thing to a Christmas classic this generation (The Polar Express) which will continue to make dough for many years to come.

Flight was successful but I would say he himself isn't the reason for Allied and The Walk underperforming. I'm sure he'll have a hit soon

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

All of this talk of director's and no one mentions Zemeckis rough run recently?

Haven't seen Allied yet (soon) but I'm actually kinda sad he is looking at two big misses in a row. Oh well, at least he's given us the closest thing to a Christmas classic this generation (The Polar Express) which will continue to make dough for many years to come.

He can bounce back. Ridley Scott has made three flops in a row for example, yet he still keeps getting major funding for example. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

warren beatty is quite the egoist so finding out no one gives a shit about him any more must be a real hit. seriously one of the most forgotten a-listers of his era. NO ONE from my generation gives a shit about Warren Beatty. Newman, Nicholson, Redford etc y'know still get some love at least.

I didn't like him then neither, but I didn't watch all films with him, so I might have missed a performance to change my mind. I've seen e.g. Bonnie & Clyde, but beside it being a ~ good film = still wasn't a fan of the complete film.

Edited by terrestrial

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Wow at the +$800m prediction! I hope it's right!If it is, that would be a tremendous success. It was such an incredible idea to expand the Wizarding World. The demand is here and it's nice to see a bunch of markets that weren't so Potter-friendly going for FB...WB must be REALLY happy with it...

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

What y'all in the "its the successor of Frozen" camp fail to remember is that Frozen was literally a freak of box office nature. Look at the chart on BOM for Thanksgiving Openings and the percentage of that in the total - we aren't being down on the film as much as being realistic about where it is headed competition or not. If it follows TS2 from here on out (doubtful as that film is over 17(!) years old) it wouldn't even make 250m and after having a higher opening day than Frozen it's already fallen 12m behind it's gross to date. Cultural phenomenons are just that and no one will deny that Moana is going to do well between now and the end of the year - just acknowledge the realistic outlook from some of us instead of writing us off as quick to Judge. 

And btw - this is not a surprise in my book since I have kept to under 250m for months just from looking at the calendar.

Totally agree. We can only go off the normal trends we always do. Yet there is no reason for it not to take on a life of its own now. The movie is good enough. 

I'm not ruling out a run over $300 million yet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Flight was successful but I would say he himself isn't the reason for Allied and The Walk underperforming. I'm sure he'll have a hit soon

I saw Allied this afternoon. Really enjoyed it. They don't make movies like this anymore.

Let's hope the older audience it's aimed at show up in the coming weeks. 

• Like 5