La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

8 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Lol. I was referring to an unnecessary reboot from the 2006 Aquaman blockbuster starring Vincent Chase.

That was, what I mean you are late - this time ;) The comments / reactions about that started ~ 3 years back.... = wasn't seriously meant.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Stone is winning IMO. Portman really needed to have an undeniable movie to justify a second Oscar so soon, and it appears that won't be the case.

The movie sounds like a rare biopic that's actually ambitious and interesting, which ironically makes it more likely to be divisive especially in the industry. 

Stone has basically every advantage except that she's playing an original character... but I don't think that'll be enough to stop her from winning.

Edited by Jake Gittes

29 minutes ago, yjs said:

I think if it holds up like GoF from now on it would at least pass $230M+, no? I'd say more like $230M~$240M, if not more. 

Rogue One will likely cause a 55-65% drop its 5th weekend. 

I do think it can have a 20-25% drop next weekend since the new releases are R-rated and/or skew toward adult audiences over the age of 30, but that probably won't be enough for $240 million DOM. 

$23 million this weekend would have made that realistic, though, but the early projections ended up being too bullish. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I wouldn't want to be in their position, it doesn't sound like an easy film to sell (not The Tree of Life or anything, but not your typical crowdpleasing biopic either), the Oscar noms aren't until late January, and it's insane how many prestige films will be competing for attention before then. This year is worse than ever in that regard, it's crazy that there weren't any big platform openings for two full months between Hell or High Water and Moonlight. Jackie isn't at fault here considering it was hardly on anyone's radar before Venice, but over a dozen hyped well-reviewed films for adults all playing during the holidays and January is straight-up unhealthy. Café Society and HOHW were smart - if you were ready for Cannes, don't wait another six months to get released. And as HOHW's awards traction shows once again, if a movie is good enough it won't be forgotten by the year's end.  

This. 

If only they'd release more of them throughout the year. I wouldn't be so critical of the seemingly endless theme park rides out practically every other week. Older audiences bemoan a lack of anything for them for weeks on end and then too much comes out all at once. 

• Like 2

Moana weekend projections off of Friday (6.5) using Tangled, TS2, Frozen

Tangled weekend (21.6) = 4.2 x Friday (5.15) [Moana 27.3]

TS2 weekend (27.8) = 4.3 x Friday (6.5) [Moana 28]

Frozen weekend (31.6) = 4.7 x Friday (6.7) [Moana 30.6]

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

10.) Manchester by the Sea (RSA/AMZ) 156 theaters  (+108)/$653K Fri/3-day: $2.2M (+85%)/Total: $4.3M/Wk 3

The most recent oscar movies with the same release pattern were Theory of Everything and Brooklyn and both ended up in 35-40M domestic territory. They got released 2 weeks earlier in the calendar but they had almost identical theatre expansions with Manchester.

Theory of Everything

1st wkd        $41,753 PTA   in 5 theatres

2nd              $17,937         in 41

3d                $10,798         in 140

Gross: 2,8 M

Brooklyn

1st wkd        $37,456 PTA   in 5 theatres

2nd              $20,868         in 23

3d                $10,455         in 111

Gross: 2,2 M

Manchester by the Sea

1st wkd        $64,125 PTA   in 4 theatres

2nd              $25,541         in 48

3d                $14,103         in 156

Gross: 4,3M

To be fair maybe Manchester outperforming them in limited release is simply because it has much bigger oscar buzz than they had. But if it keeps up when it goes to 800-900 theatres and gross 35-40M it will be a huge win for Lonergan. I haven't seen Manchester yet, but he deserves every penny just for his 2 previous amazing movies that barely anyone saw in theatres.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

This. 

If only they'd release more of them throughout the year. I wouldn't be so critical of the seemingly endless theme park rides out practically every other week. Older audiences bemoan a lack of anything for them for weeks on end and then too much comes out all at once. 

When The Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood became 2 of the 3 biggest award players of 2014 I thought maybe that would teach them a lesson. Silly me.

This November-December, there's no reason Loving, Elle, Manchester, A Monster Calls, Nocturnal Animals, Paterson, Julieta and Toni Erdmann couldn't have been released weeks or months earlier in the year. 

• Like 1

I think it's a bit too soon to dub Jackie forgotten, and all the really good prestige movies still usually manage to find an audience during this season. People are more prone to be spending income and are more likely to have a few people to talk about the movie with afterwards

Edited by tribefan695

The Oscars are never about who deserves to win the Oscars are about who campaigns the most to win. Why do you think the weinsteins have about 6 million Oscar nominations and about 300,000 wins?

• Like 2

I will throw one small caveat in there. If the Oscars feel that someone is due, in other words they've been nominated 5 or 6 times and should have won by now, then chances are they will throw him a bone and finally give him a win. Amy Adams is due just like Leonardo DiCaprio was due last year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I will throw one small caveat in there. If the Oscars feel that someone is due, in other words they've been nominated 5 or 6 times and should have won by now, then chances are they will throw him a bone and finally give him a win. Amy Adams is due just like Leonardo DiCaprio was due last year.

The ghost of Peter O'Toole would like to have a word with you.

• Like 9

The most fun I had following box office runs were:

- Frozen's domestic and Japan run 

- Inside Out VS Jurassic World VS Minions 

- Star Wars Episode 7

- ZOOTOPIA's China, Japan, and domestic runs 

- Finding Dory

- The Secret Life of Pets

- Moana (?) 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 2

What I find interesting is, any time people say Moana is showing strong legs other posters throw cold water on that premise but so far it has shown great legs. Whether it can continue is another matter but so far legs have been strong.

• Like 2

Incarnate:

...It earned $915,000 today, which means we're looking at a $2.16 million debut weekend and likely $4-$4.5m domestic total. ...

Believe...., earned around $168,000 yesterday in 639 theaters. That means we're probably looking at a $471k opening weekend for the faith-based picture.

Jackie. ...made around $90,742 yesterday for a likely $275k Fri-Sun debut. That would give the film a superb $55k per-location-average.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/12/03/box-office-satan-trumps-god-on-friday-natalie-portmans-jackie-shines-in-five-theaters/#41b277e63291

• Like 1