Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

• Community Manager
13 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

My dad is fairly racist :lol: (That's not the right thing to use an lol emoji with......)

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

He liked the story, so I'm guessing the latter? :lol: 

Is your dad one of those people who thinks he isn't racist but actually can be? :huh:

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Can any movie change people who are set in their ways? I don't think so.

Sort-of. But it's more difficult than those who believe in the power of cinema would like to believe especially thanks to confirmation bias. I can name TV shows (The Cosby Show, All in the Family, Modern Family) that have arguably helped create a more tolerant America and I'm sure there's movies out there that have helped as well. But I really don't think there's a single movie or TV episode out there you can show a racist today and get them to change. After decades of Hollywood spreading the same messages, if you still hold on to the same beliefs, you ain't changing your mind.

29 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Is your dad one of those people who thinks he isn't racist but actually can be? :huh:

Most likely. He and my mother come from the entitlement branch of Trump supporters of "Not all x people are bad, just the ones that take up welfare and don't get a job!" 

God, Zootopia is looking more and more relevant as the days go by :lol: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Can any movie change people who are set in their ways? I don't think so.

One movie can hardly change anything, but if you're willing to challenge yourself by watching a bunch of movies that think different than you, as long as they have a reasonable pov, they will have a permanent effect on you.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goffe said:

One movie can hardly change anything, but if you're willing to challenge yourself by watching a bunch of movies that think different than you, as long as they have a reasonable pov, they will have a permanent effect on you.

That sounds like someone who has an open mind in the first place.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Anyone think Schindler's List could make a casual alt right follower reconsider their beliefs?

"(((Oskar Schindler))) was a leftist cuck! Dem Jews should've pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and kill the Nazis themselves!"

Edited by franfar

38 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Just hit 80/0, so a Certified Fresh with 100% should be coming soon. When was the last time that happened for a major studio release? Zootopia?

If not Zootopia, I imagine Force Awakens? And if not that, Inside Out for sure.

This is pretty astounding for Jordan Peele. As will be the inevitable 20M+ OW. It'll be so funny when an original horror movie in February whose only recognizable aspect is the actor-turned-director's 1st turn in the directing gig outperforms Blair fucking Witch in its opening weekend.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

26 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If not Zootopia, I imagine Force Awakens? And if not that, Inside Out for sure.

I looked them up:

Zootopia: First negative was the 47th review

TFA: First Negative was 63rd review

IO: First negative was 85th review

I just looked and Get Out is now 85/0, passing IO

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 3