Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

13 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-beauty-beast-get-meet-voters-987468

universal is officially launching oscar campaign for get out!!!!
the movie will show to academy voters this week!!!  

I have always been curious about this process. How do academy voters see these movies? I mean are they scheduled? Do they see every movie?

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I have always been curious about this process. How do academy voters see these movies? I mean are they scheduled? Do they see every movie?

I assume it's very similar for what they do with the guilds: as a guild member, you get an invite and if you RSVP and show up with time to spare, you'll get in. (They overbook screenings to ensure a full crowd). For Oscar campaigns there are many of these screenings.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I assume it's very similar for what they do with the guilds: as a guild member, you get an invite and if you RSVP and show up with time to spare, you'll get in. (They overbook screenings to ensure a full crowd). For Oscar campaigns there are many of these screenings.

Is it a requirement? What if you get an invite and you failed to show up (even after many invites)?

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

Is it a requirement? What if you get an invite and you failed to show up (even after many invites)?

You're not required to do anything. If it gets into Oscar season, they'll send you a screener and invite you to even more screenings. They'll also try to sweeten those by having Q&As with the talent.

But you don't have to do anything if you don't feel like it.

8 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

You're not required to do anything. If it gets into Oscar season, they'll send you a screener and invite you to even more screenings. They'll also try to sweeten those by having Q&As with the talent.

But you don't have to do anything if you don't feel like it.

So many people not seeing and not voting for a film can greatly affect the result, right?

Just now, kayumanggi said:

So many people not seeing and not voting for a film can greatly affect the result, right?

...the result of the Oscars? I think most of the Academy members make an effort to see most of the potential nominees. Something like this with a lot of publicity has much more of a chance than something small without much of a marketing push.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Sure getting seen is the first goal to have any chance (obviously if not enough voters see the movie it has no chance), usually there is a bit over 330 movie eligible for the best picture category, no voters (they are amateurs voters, some of them extremely busy) watch everything, that is in part why they do nice screening event, send them dvd of the movie by the mail and so on.

Studios can spend 3-4 million promoting a movie for awards before the Oscar nomination are announced, a significant amount goes simply to have it seen.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

...the result of the Oscars? I think most of the Academy members make an effort to see most of the potential nominees. Something like this with a lot of publicity has much more of a chance than something small without much of a marketing push.

I see. Thanks for the enlightenment. Ha ha.

I think I heard one Oscar host (I am not sure who he/she was) telling Academy members, "You did not see it." referring to a particular movie(s). That's why I wonder if everyone sees every movie being campaigned.

Edited by kayumanggi

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sure getting seen is the first goal to have any chance (obviously if not enough voters see the movie it has no chance), usually there is a bit over 330 movie eligible for the best picture category, no voters (they are amateurs voters, some of them extremely busy) watch everything, that is in part why they do nice screening event, send them dvd of the movie by the mail and so on.

Studios can spend 3-4 million promoting a movie for awards before the Oscar nomination are announced, a significant amount goes simply to have it seen.

Thank you!

Just now, kayumanggi said:

I see. Thanks for the enlightenment. Ha ha.

I think I heard one Oscar host (I am not sure who he/she was) telling Academy members, "You did not see it." referring to a particular movie(s). That's why I wonder if everyone sees every nominated movie.

Those "Honest Academy Voter" pieces in the Hollywood Reporter usually have someone admitting they didn't see a movie.

That bit was from Kimmel making jokes about (I think) MOONLIGHT and LION.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Oscars have become more political than a Clinton-Trump political debate for presidency.

When was the last time this event was about art I forgot ...

The ceremony was surprisingly not that political (much less than the others awards).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The Oscars have become more political than a Clinton-Trump political debate for presidency.

When was the last time this event was about art I forgot ...

Moonlight is the epitome of art. Funny how it's the LGBT movie that's instantly dismissed here.

• Like 2

"Get Out" definitely deserves some Oscar consideration but I think only "Silence of the Lambs" was able to mount a successful Oscar Campaign from Feb to Late Jan.  I loved all the symbolism to the History of Black People in America.   Very deep film, he knocked it out of the park with a micro budget.  Honestly it felt right up M. Knight's ally to me.   At the bare minimum it should get nominated for "Best Original Screenplay".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

how you know is 10%? any proof?

Yes. I have proof

But im keeping it to myself

Its double secret probation proof

• Like 3