Blankments

Golden Globes 2016

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

I dunno if i'd call SLOP a snub but if Sing legit turns out worse....#doubt but I'm glad it's going ignored. 

I expected Trolls over Sing, but NOT over Dory! but hey, good for Zucchini. 

I'm not even sure the globes voters even watched many of the animated films. Sing getting nominated feels so wrong.

Shame about Beckinsale getting snubbed in favor of Lily Collins though. Also not surprised that Silence wasn't nominated. They didn't send screeners in time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kalo said:

If he did win, it would be justified, Hacksaw Ridge was by far the best directed film I've seen all year, and besides Mel isn't nearly as awful as trash like Woody Allen who gets nominations every time he farts. 

Everything he's done since Blue Jasmine has been ignored completely.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Globes snubbing Hanks seems like bad news. He's never getting an Oscar nomination again, is he?

I don't think he cares. He tends to promote the major supporting actor of his film then he does himself, although Sully had no other major potential Oscar nominated in it.

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I don't think he cares. He tends to promote the major supporting actor of his film then he does himself, although Sully had no other major potential Oscar nominated in it.

I don't know, it felt like he was more out and about during awards season this year than Captain Phillips three years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't know, it felt like he was more out and about during awards season this year than Captain Phillips three years ago.

Well unlike BOS or Captain Philips, he didn't have a major supporting actor to "pimp" (Eckhart wasn't getting nominated, heh), so he probably decide to promote himself for a change.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is a very generous assessment. I'm quite sure they didn't.

Animated films are generally looked down upon or even ignored by voters, so I'd say you're probably right. Shame though!

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nova said:

Im shocked. I knew Reynolds would get a nom but not the movie itself. It's the first super hero movie to be nominated for a best picture at the Golden Globes. And I think Reynolds is the second actor (behind Ledger) to get a nod for a super hero movie. 

So it is surprising. 

Bonus scene for the First Anniversary Edition. 

"Award Season". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm still laughing over the Lily Collins nomination. I feel like this was her last shot at avoiding spending the rest of her career in obscurity (and of course the movie was miserable box office flop so...).

I think everyone is laughing over the Lily Collins nomination. 

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Explain My Life as a Zucchini, then.

That was only intended as a flippant remark, but very well.

By itself, all that means is that enough watched My Life as a Zucchini and put it as their favourite to make top five based on number of votes. Voting for Globes nominations does use ranked ballots but is essentially FPTP, with second choices etc. used only as tie-breakers. In that system, a film that is seen by a few voters who really like it can be nominated, but can also be excluded by a film seen by more voters even though it's less well-liked on average. Sing sneaking in (overall reception has been quite weak compared to many of the contenders of this year) is suggestive to me that it was watched by a much larger number of members than the smaller films it beat.

Also, the Globes have a history of nominating quite a few animated films that didn't have very strong reception overall and didn't make the cut at the Oscars, which has a very rigorous system for nominations that requires participating members to have seen two-thirds of the submissions and uses average rating rather than FPTP or even ranked ballots. The simplest explanation is that not many members are watching the lesser-known animated films.

If The Red Turtle also made it as well as Zucchini, I'd be a lot more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Jason

The Globes don't tend to go for anime, so that explains the Red Turtle/Your Name snubs. But no Dory in favor of the Zucchini thingamajig is pretty shocking. 

Good for Deadpool. I wasn't a huge fan but its nomination helps break down genre barriers at these awards a little bit so I'm for it. Now if only the Globes had any actual prestige these days...

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1