Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

With some video accompaniment

I had no awareness of Emma Stone's Anna video when I watched that and I almost freaked out thinking I just accidentally saw some huge number from La La Land that I would have rather not known about. 

Saw RO for the second time last night. The place was 3/4 full. I believe it's a fantastic movie and in my top three of the year with Jungle Book and Zootopia.

Huge applause among the group of first time viewers I was with. 

The Force was with us......as we missed being in an automobile accident by a couple of inches on the way home.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't think there is any chance.  It did $3m on Friday and $5m on Saturday.  It dropped around 35% each Sunday, so add in about $3.25m on Sunday and best I can see is $11.25m or possibly $11.5m for the weekend.  

The weather isn't going to help it any with parents not wanting to bundle kids up in single digit or below zero temps and Rogue One taking away business.  

Well damn I'm broken hearted for Moana, I have no words to say. :(

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Why?! People clap after anything that's good. We aren't robots :P Every Star Wars movie I've seen has gotten wild applause on opening weekends and often beyond.

different culture i guess, what we do mostly here is  emptying the theatre as soon as credit title begin without any delay :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

I''ve been bearish on Moana all along. Some still have it finishing where Frozen did. They have charts with "trajectories" showing it on pace to do so. 

In contrast, my ample gut tells me there's just no buzz about Moana that approaches Frozen. 

Why would you need your gut to tell you that when your two eyes can plainly see it?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I will see RO next weekend again with 4 of my cousins.

They are 15-19 and are Star War fans, I am sure they will love the ending. 

How many siblings, cousins, ... do you have? Male and female all together?

24 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Well damn I'm broken hearted for Moana, I have no words to say. :(

I think the bad weather will impact on films like Moana stronger, as:

to get the kids into winter-clothing... not to forget anything in the cinema, to again bundle them up... is far more stress (including too warm clothed children tend to overreact fast in one way or another)

Also are parents of younger children often still far more security focused than later on = bad weather, slippery roads... and have still a bigger walk-up part (with children you'll never know beforehand...)

= possible it will do better later on, depending on...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Just got back from seeing it and 100% this will end up doing over 1.4b ww and probably 600m OS.

Welcome! Not sure I've seen a film get 800m doom to 600m overseas. Though it is Star Wars.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

Like I said, you have to wait a week or so to really see what legs are going to be like, but nothing so far suggests anything but excellent legs being likely for R1.

The audience scores are strong on any metric you look at.

The Saturday business suggests WOM is good - a 10%+ true rise - look at some of the other big films this year, both BvS and SS had true Saturday drops and Dory was basically flat.

Using just those around you is highly subjective and qualitative in measure and heavily biased since we tend to associate with those who hold similar views and likes. The people in the theater I saw seemed very happy with R1 - but that doesn't mean the audience at large did. That is why you have to have a broad set of metrics that gets past the more subjective measures.

My personal belief before release was something in the 465-475 range. Based on opening weekend i'm more inclined to think 500-520 but we have to wait and see. Baunmer's club is not dead by any means, but I think it is less likely to be successful than i did 4 days ago. and I thought the odds were less than 50% 4 days ago.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ocho said:

Saw RO for the second time last night. The place was 3/4 full. I believe it's a fantastic movie and in my top three of the year with Jungle Book and Zootopia.

Huge applause among the group of first time viewers I was with. 

The Force was with us......as we missed being in an automobile accident by a couple of inches on the way home.

For me is one of the best Blockbuster of the year with Doctor Strange and FB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RamblinRed said:

Like I said, you have to wait a week or so to really see what legs are going to be like, but nothing so far suggests anything but excellent legs being likely for R1.

The audience scores are strong on any metric you look at.

The Saturday business suggests WOM is good - a 10%+ true rise - look at some of the other big films this year, both BvS and SS had true Saturday drops and Dory was basically flat.

Using just those around you is highly subjective and qualitative in measure and heavily biased since we tend to associate with those who hold similar views and likes. The people in the theater I saw seemed very happy with R1 - but that doesn't mean the audience at large did. That is why you have to have a broad set of metrics that gets past the more subjective measures.

My personal belief before release was something in the 465-475 range. Based on opening weekend i'm more inclined to think 500-520 but we have to wait and see. Baunmer's club is not dead by any means, but I think it is less likely to be successful than i did 4 days ago. and I thought the odds were less than 50% 4 days ago.

It seems obvious from the overwhelmingly positive feedback that it will have legs. I could see it staying in the top 5 into late May at this rate.

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Just got back from seeing it and 100% this will end up doing over 1.4b ww and probably 600m OS.

For a few seconds I though you were the real Tele and that your Methuselah-like age finally got to you:rofl:

• Like 5