FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

12 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Great Holliday week and weekend for Sing.  Man these guys know when to release a movie.  Demand and GA excitement for this film was no where near Pets, but a great release date is going to carry it to a pretty good gross.

However, it's still going to be a dog fight between Moana and Sing.

Sing is going to have some hefty drops and will be massacred by Moana in its mud run daily and weekend numbers because of Moanas very good Holliday run.

Personally I haven't seen either movie and may not until DVD release.  Neither look that great to me and Moanas music ,IMHO, is very sub-par Disney princess movie level.

Sing is heading for $300m with no competition until Feb. 10th

• Like 5

I've just watched Moana with my little girl and we've just loved it! It's a really great animation, she really enjoyed it and she hates princess stuff, she's more into dragons and dinos so I can totally understand why the WOM is great now. 

Gonna watch Sing, Kubo and Storks with her sometime next week and then I'll finally be able to make a full animations ranking for 2016! So far the first place is between Dory and Moana I suppose. Oh, there's also Zootopia...

I'm also expecting Kubo to put up a good fight from what I've heard...

It's been a damn great year for animation.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 11

37 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Great Holliday week and weekend for Sing.  Man these guys know when to release a movie.  Demand and GA excitement for this film was no where near Pets, but a great release date is going to carry it to a pretty good gross.

However, it's still going to be a dog fight between Moana and Sing.

Sing is going to have some hefty drops and will be massacred by Moana in its mud run daily and weekend numbers because of Moanas very good Holliday run.

Personally I haven't seen either movie and may not until DVD release.  Neither look that great to me and Moanas music ,IMHO, is very sub-par Disney princess movie level.

The only dog fight left between Moana and Sing is who gets to 250 first. Sing is locked to out gross Moana significantly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's kind of sad that 2016 is a record year at the box office, and no one seems happy about it.

I am happy :wub:

what is an EP?

Lot of 1sts in 2016. Like as 1st film to break AUG opening record + have an EP become next US Treasury Secretary.

• Like 2

Not a chance of Sing hitting 300.

Theres no buzz or hype building for that to happen.  It's the only CURRENT truly family offering for the families who love attending movies over the Hollidays.  260-270 is the max.  Frozen came out of the Hollidays with insane buzz and excitement and earned 100 million after. I know it's was released weeks earlier but to think Sing is going to make another 140 million after exhausting this much demand over the Hollidays is a pipe-dream.  It's opening lower than Moana shows what it's true demand is and it's just benefitting from its placement/release date.

No doubt Sing will come out of the Hollidays significantly tracking ahead of Moana because of it weekday Holliday numbers.

But it will track below Moana virtually every day after and there will be a 2 week stretch in the middle of Sings run where it wil lose 2-3 million to Moana every single day because of Moanas Holliday dailies.

I think this is pretty accurate, but truthfully, only Sings next week dailies and weekend number will tell the ultimate story.

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 1

Boxoffice.com's predictions:

Key 4-Day Projections

1. Rogue One ($65 million)
  2. Sing ($57m)
  3. Passengers ($20m)
  4. Moana ($15.2m)
  5. Fences ($13.6m)
  6. La La Land ($13.1m)
  7. Why Him? ($11.6m)
  8. Assassin’s Creed ($10.7m)
  9. Manchester By the Sea ($5.4m)
  10. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ($5.3m)
  11. Collateral Beauty ($4.9m)
  12. Office Christmas Party ($4.2m)
  13. Lion ($2.8m)
  14. Jackie ($2.2m)
  15. Arrival ($1.6m)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Theres no buzz or hype building for that to happen.  It's the only CURRENT truly family offering for the families who love attending movies over the Hollidays.  260-270 is the max.  Frozen came out of the Hollidays with insane buzz and excitement and earned 100 million after. I know it's was released weeks earlier but to think Sing is going to make another 140 million after exhausting this much demand over the Hollidays is a pipe-dream.  It's opening lower than Moana shows what it's true demand is and it's just benefitting from its placement/release date.

No doubt Sing will come out of the Hollidays significantly tracking ahead of Moana because of it weekday Holliday numbers.

But it will track below Moana virtually every day after and there will be a 2 week stretch in the middle of Sings run where it wil lose 2-3 million to Moana every single day because of Moanas Holliday dailies.

I think this is pretty accurate, but truthfully, only Sings next week dailies and weekend number will tell the ultimate story.

No girl. No.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Sing will finish way ahead of Moana. Its a mathematical certainty.

• Like 3