WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

5 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

It started out at 6.8 on IMDB, but I'm happy it's now at 7.7. At least it didn't go down. 

I'm ignoring the imdb rating for now lol. That message board and site is full of racist trolls. There was a point when like 17% of the ratings were  one ugh. Happy it's gone up though, I guess with real people who have actually seen the film voting! 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

Well I'm learning something new, I had no idea who Janelle Monae is until I read the last page and a half

she's not incredibly famous. She has her niche.  She doesn't make pop music.  I love her music!

She was also featured on the #1 hit song "We are young" You probably know this song. 

Edited by ban1o

15 minutes ago, ban1o said:

she's not incredibly famous. She has her niche.  She doesn't make pop music.  I love her music!

She was also featured on the #1 hit song "We are young" You probably know this song. 

Yep know the song(wasn't really a fan of it)

Hidden Figures clearly doesn't have a big "must see" factor so I wouldn't be too disappointed if it "only" hits a $20M weekend. It can go on to have a long, successful run as people all talk about it and tell everyone else how great it is. There is a huge appetite for a feel good movie that people see as being a potential "awards contender" but with none of the pretentiousness and boredom that usually goes along with that. It's yet another year where I have to root hard for the few good awards movies like La La Land and Hidden Figures and hope like hell one of the crappy boring movies doesn't make its way to the top. 

I have to say though that lately at least the Academy hasn't picked the movies I would choose for Best Picture, but they have avoided the really lousy ones, anyway. Spotlight (3 stars), Birdman (4 stars), 12 Years a Slave (4 stars), and Argo (4 stars) has honestly given me hope that the Academy will choose a good movie even while nominating some of the worst movies I've ever seen (Les Miserables, Boyhood, Her). It'll be a minefield this year because I'm sure it'll look something like: Fences (3 stars), Hell or High Water (4 stars), La La Land (3.5 stars), Hidden Figures (4 stars), Manchester By the Sea (0), Moonlight (0), Arrival (1), maybe Silence (0), and a few others. That means either it's going to be a near-zero star pile of shit winning Best Picture or a 3.5 or 4 star movie with not much in between. I'll either be happy for Best Picture or extremely pissed off. There's no "meh" entries contending like a Lincoln or Philemona or whatever that's not good, not bad, just kind of exists. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 2

UGHHHHH

industry estimates show 20th Century Fox‘s Hidden Figures inching out the Star Wars prequel for the weekend, $22M to $21.4M.

Hidden Figures spiked 18% over Friday today with $8.96M, while Rogue One saw a 55% gain over the same period with $9.3M and Sing surged  73% with $9M.

Illumination/Universal’s Sing is now expected to slot third with an estimated $19.9M for a running total of $213.8m.  Rogue One by the end of the week should rest north of $476M, $24M away from $500M.

Sony/Screen Gems’ Underworld: Blood Wars improved 6% on top of Friday today with $5.1M, on track still for $13M; 49% below its 2012 installment’s opening, Awakening.

Lionsgate/Summit’s seven Golden Globe nominated musical La La Land is still looking at fifth place with a $9.8M take in its fifth weekend, 3% higher than last weekend. Today the Damien Chazelle-directed movie grossed $4M, +29% over yesterday.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-hidden-figures-underworld-blood-wars-weekend-box-office-1201879773/

• Like 5

Here's something I just decided to do out of boredom. Top 10 movies of the year in terms of attendance at my theatre. Obviously some of these movies are still playing and their numbers or even positions can change. (all values will be my "our equivalent of" which I've always rounded to the nearest tenth of a million)

1. Rogue One - Opening Weekend: $168M

Total Box Office (as of last time I checked which was the matinee today) $604.5M

2. Finding Dory - Opening Weekend: $146.5M

Total Box Office: $463.5M

3. The Jungle Book: Opening Weekend: $131.1M

Total Box Office: $411.6M

4. Deadpool - Opening Weekend: $127.6M

Total Box Office: $392.5M

5. Zootopia - Opening Weekend: $76.1M

Total Box Office: $333.8M

6. The Secret Life of Pets: Opening Weekend: $99.1M

Total Box Office: $321.5M

7. The Revenant: Opening Weekend: $63.1M

Total Box Office: $315.9M

8. Suicide Squad - Opening Weekend: $89.7M

Total Box Office: $310.1M

9. Civil War - Opening Weekend: $102.4M

Total Box Office: $258.9M

10. Sing - Opening Weekend: $29.3M (FSS, $86.3M wed-mon)

Total Box Office (so far): $251.3M

• Like 10

SIng is aping Tintin well post holidays.

TIntin was +71%, +70%, -33.4% on FSS

SIng is +65%, +73% so far.

5.1 + 9 + 6 (-33.3%) = 20.1

If it matches Tintin's legs after this weekend, it's looking at ~261

If falls below Tintin's pace and does 255-260, could get interesting with Moana which is looking at 250-255 I guess.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@DAJK

How did you arrive at those numbers? 

Over a year ago I figured out that more times than not, movies at the theatre I work at follow (generally) the domestic box office. So I look on box office mojo and a movie made say 5 million dollars, I'd look and see at our numbers and said movie sold say 5 tickets (I'm just making up numbers here). Then I look at another movie that make 10 million dollars, and it sold 10 tickets. So say I make 1 ticket equal to 1 million dollars, than my theatre's "equivalent" of 20 million is 20 tickets. 

I use this sometimes when just trying to guess what our business will be like for a particular day. If a movie is tracking for a 20M opening day, I would generally expect between 15-25M (our equivalent) at my theatre. There are always exceptions, but it's a consistent method I got going on at times.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

La La Land is my #1 priority right now; all other movies are secondary. I might see Hidden Figures with how good WOM is.

Ha, I'm the exact opposite. Dying to see Hidden Figures opening day,  but I'm waiting until I hear actual WOM (not internet or critics) about La La Land. 

5 hours ago, DAR said:

Well I'm learning something new, I had no idea who Janelle Monae is until I read the last page and a half

She was once in an episode of Stargate Universe. 

1 hour ago, jj99 said:

is it just me, or are those La la Land numbers disappointing.

Depends on what you expect. If you look at past oscar mainstream hits that slowly went wide at the end of Dec-early Jan (Silver Linings, Black Swan, King's Speech, Juno), La La Land is doing similar buisness atm. It will probably end up somewhere in the 100-150m range. But we have to wait until next week to see how high it can go. It will finally expand to more than 2000 theatres and it'll have the first big award season boost because of the globes.