DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

THE HELP did 26.0 ow and 169.7 dom. Will be fun to see how HIDDEN FIGURES plays out.

THE HELP is too high a target though. Hope it goes over SULLY.

The Help benefited from Viola being the frontrunner to win. Until Streep did. There's a difference between movies that are just nominee fillers and movies that have an actual shot at major wins. The latter keep buzz alive for longer. We'll see. Right now, HF is doing gangbusters business. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

The Help benefited from Viola being the frontrunner to win. Until Streep did. There's a difference between movies that are just nominee fillers and movies that have an actual shot at major wins. The latter keep buzz alive for longer. We'll see. Right now, HF is doing gangbusters business. 

The Help opened in the summer when it didn't really have Oscar buzz to piggyback on so no.

• Like 8

The help had white leads and was based on a very popular book. Not a good comparison. They actually played The Help in my local theater in Canada unlike Hidden Figures lol. I'll be happy if it reaches over 100 million. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Fuckin A.

Water parks are just as bad.  Dolphins are slaughtered by the Japanese or Dutch or Norwegians and the ones that are left behind are sold to water parks for a life time of slavery after they have watched their family get cut open while they are still breathing.  

totaly, absolutly AGREE !!

• Like 2

Just now, La La Panda said:

I think Patriots Day should have good legs, WoM seems especially strong from people who saw the movie.  I could see it pushing over 50-60m DOM.

Depends on how much theater losses hit it in the weeks ahead. $45M looks like a good target at the moment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

Live by night was never supposed to be an awards contender. I don't think it was made for that reason. Then the studio started hearing positive things about it and decided to try to make it an awards contender. I don't know where it went so wrong either but obviously the reviews killed it. I personally thought it was pretty prosaic and slow and focused way too much on romance instead of gangster stuff. I'm pretty shocked by a 7 million opening but Ben Affleck is going to be just fine LOL he's being paid very handsomely to do the Batman stuff and he's an Oscar winner two times over. He'll be just fine. No one bats a thousand.

Affleck had a misfire but given most of the veteran directors apart from Eastwood had failure in the last year alone, he will bounce back from this. I'm sure WB will bankroll his next project but I imagine Affleck will learn not to put his eggs in one basket

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

The Help did 169.7 DOM? Holy shit!

Yup. I remember it well since I was tracking it and watching with amazement as The Help's run mirrored Bridesmaids run virtually exactly dollar for dollar every single week for its entire run, from opening weekend to final total.

The Help: $26,044,590 / $169,708,112

Bridesmaids:  $26,247,410 / $169,106,725

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 5

Just now, filmlover said:

Depends on how much theater losses hit it in the weeks ahead. $45M looks like a good target at the moment.

True, it'll have one weekend to hold well.  Good thing for Patriots Day is that there are a few other movies released this weekend theaters will be much more eager to drop.  

I see theaters dropping every new wide release from this weekend before PD.

1 minute ago, La La Panda said:

I think Patriots Day should have good legs, WoM seems especially strong from people who saw the movie.  I could see it pushing over 50-60m DOM.

Likely be a 13 Hours run, likely be decently popular after theaters like that film was.

Underworld's budget is 35M. It's on 25M DOM and could do around 35M in the end.

OS was 45M last week so will add significantly to that figure.

We may not have a sequel but this one will not loose any money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Yup. I remember it well since I was tracking it and watching with amazement as The Help's run mirrored Bridesmaids run virtually exactly dollar for dollar every single week for its entire run, from opening weekend to final total.

The Help: $26,044,590 / $169,708,112

Bridesmaids:  $26,247,410 / $169,106,725

that's very cool. thanks for pointing it out.

• Like 1