DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

So I know we have some others on here that have seen The Lobster and really liked it but can I ask WTF?? What a weird ass and strange film and very very cold. I am working through as many '16 films as I can on dvd before Oscar night but anymore like that and I may have to stop.

*keeping on topic* Hidden Figures did well this weekend just a tad over what I thought it would do hold-wise and not quite as good as The Revenant from last year but it is on it's way to 100m if it can keep up.

Looks like we will be on the line for 29/30 100m films with La La Land, Passengers as sure bets and at least one of Hidden Figures or Arrival (if not both).

Hidden Figures is locked to cross $100M at this point.

Watched Sing, it was fun, the final concert is very well done. Felt that it needed a "where did they go from there" wrap up at the end but it didn't matter too much.

Side note: anyone know what the K-pop/J-pop pandas joke was about? The movie wasn't subtitled for that joke.

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

So I know we have some others on here that have seen The Lobster and really liked it but can I ask WTF?? What a weird ass and strange film and very very cold. I am working through as many '16 films as I can on dvd before Oscar night but anymore like that and I may have to stop.

*keeping on topic* Hidden Figures did well this weekend just a tad over what I thought it would do hold-wise and not quite as good as The Revenant from last year but it is on it's way to 100m if it can keep up.

Looks like we will be on the line for 29/30 100m films with La La Land, Passengers as sure bets and at least one of Hidden Figures or Arrival (if not both).

2008 and 2015 were the last ones without at least 30 - 100m films but we could miss the mark again.

Seems to me that after hitting 35 in 2013 we havent been able to keep pace. Course we really started to shift in 13 toward bigger grosses on the upper end of the scale.

Passengers will most likely get dragged over the line. It will probably be neck and neck with Dragon Tattoo coming out of next weekend with lower grosses. It's tracking to just over 100M right now, we might see some Spectre level stuff at the end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Passengers will most likely get dragged over the line. It will probably be neck and neck with Dragon Tattoo coming out of next weekend with lower grosses. It's tracking to just over 100M right now, we might see some Spectre level stuff at the end.

Too bad the other Amazing Amy still isn't at Sony to reveal it via leaked emails.

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Or it might pull a Sausage Party :ph34r:

Just now, CJohn said:

Or it might pull a Sausage Party :ph34r:

Sausage Party ran out of steam just a bit too far away from the line, and the 2000 theater expansion didn't help one bit unlike "This is the end". Sony probably didn't want a repeat of the Spectre drag-over-the-line, so they just gave up there. Passengers will be about 5M away next weekend coming out of a sub-3M weekend. It is probably enough to drag it over the line.

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Affleck's having a tough last two years.

Divorce, BvS, Trump and Live By Night. :sadben:

I guess it's a good thing WB decided to move Live by Night up from its original October release when Justice League is about to open. Bad enough that expectations for that movie being any good are rock bottom at this point, last thing it needs is more potential bad press.

Edited by filmlover

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think he has addiction/alcohol issues. That might have more to do with his current state than Trump.

Whatever he's suffering from, it shows. A lot of people were alarmed by his appearance and demeanor on Graham Norton. I hope if he needs help, he'll get it.

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

BvS was tough for Affleck? It was a gigantic box office hit, regardless of its multiplier and in spite of its reviews, and it made a substantial profit, not to mention that his portrayal was well received, and he got the Batman movie directing gig out of it.

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

BvS was tough for Affleck? It was a gigantic box office hit, regardless of its multiplier and in spite of its reviews, and it made a substantial profit, not to mention that his portrayal was well received, and he got the Batman movie directing gig out of it.

And yet it also gave us Sadfleck.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

I'm fairly certain Affleck wishes BvS wasn't considered one of the worst blockbusters of 2016.

But hey, at least we got a kick ass meme/emoji. :sadben:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Keep in mind that the reception could hurt any future DCEU movie pretty badly

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

I loved it (#6 on my top ten list for 2016), but yeah, it's so singularly bizarre that it's definitely not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. Not surprisingly, I was the only one in the auditorium when I saw it at a mall multiplex back in June. :lol:

• Like 1