grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

4 hours ago, Factcheck said:

In the end what really matter is how much DC movies making at box office, whether they are part of Connected storyline(DCEU) or not. If their big characters(Batman, Aquaman, Joker, Superman, Flash, WW) does 700-1B+ then we can't say DC/DCEU is dead.

If only the big characters are the ones that are making money then that its even more evidence that the DCEU has failed considering the entire reason they made a shared universe is to highlight their b and c listers. If they only have to rely to Batman, Superman (who is not even a draw) or Joker, then the brand has been stale and the shared universe concept failed.

They had been making standalone movies wit those characters anyway.

If the Rock wasn’t scared of being beating up by children and debuted in Shazam! (although that would be hard to fit in the narrative), Black Adam probably would’ve done more than it. I don’t think Black Adam is a big name in the cinematic universe as of now but I do think he’ll appear again. Eternals did the same as Black Adam box office wise with similar budgets and grosses and the characters will appear again. 

Black Adam will get to face Superman but he’ll likely have to face Shazam too as he’s not big enough for a Superman vs Black Adam movie. It’ll likely be a Shazam 3 with Black Adam and Superman with meaty roles and a seperate Man of Steel 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeight said:

If only the big characters are the ones that are making money then that its even more evidence that the DCEU has failed considering the entire reason they made a shared universe is to highlight their b and c listers. If they only have to rely to Batman, Superman (who is not even a draw) or Joker, then the brand has been stale and the shared universe concept failed.

They had been making standalone movies wit those characters anyway.

Saying that Superman is not a draw feels like a plain lie to me; man of steel did well and BvS was opening huge before toxic wom killed it. Hell just look at the interest on this site alone or Cavill getting over 3 million likes on instagram when announcing his return.

This argument is getting too "black or white" imho.

• Like 1

With Marvel declining and declining in quality with almost every film since Endgame and DC having god awful returns with reboot after reboot, Superhero/Cape genre may very be near it's end. Before long, Executives, under the onslaught of climbing inflation and a collapsing economy, will be asking how they could afford to peddle out $200mil+ movie budgets. 

42 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Saying that Superman is not a draw feels like a plain lie to me; man of steel did well and BvS was opening huge before toxic wom killed it. Hell just look at the interest on this site alone or Cavill getting over 3 million likes on instagram when announcing his return.

Sure, a fanbase is there, but it's fair to say that Superman's "drawing power" now has to be consistently measured against his fractured feature film history (and yes, box office results relative to what was projected).  Even just in the past 20 years, two Superman reboots, each with wildly different complicated issues.  Perceptions of how a character is presented cloud audience perceptions about "likability" and future iterations.  But of course what matters in the end is simply how good the movies are -- and they haven't been -- at least not on a globally-universal level with the crowds they need to be.  Man of Steel (according to former Warner Bros. co-head Jeff Robinov) was projected to gross $1Billion.  BvS, had it been better quality/different tone, should have grossed $1.5 billion.  Justice League should have been a no-brainer for $2 billion.  Instead they all fumbled (with Justice League arguably fumbling *twice* in two different edits) and AQUAMAN and JOKER, of all things, gross $1 billion and become DC's most reliable/least-controversial star players!  Hilarious...  

I know, I know...not the DCU thread.  Will be interesting where and how BLACK ADAM shows up next...but I doubt it will be a direct sequel.  I would support mid-budget level spin-offs for Doctor Fate and Hawkman, but I think those are unlikely at the present stage, considering Zaslav seems to want to concentrate on the Big 3/5.  

Edited by Macleod

23 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Sure, a fanbase is there, but it's fair to say that Superman's "drawing power" now has to be consistently measured against his fractured feature film history (and yes, box office results relative to what was projected).  Even just in the past 20 years, two Superman reboots, each with wildly different complicated issues.  Perceptions of how a character is presented cloud audience perceptions about "likability" and future iterations.  But of course what matters in the end is simply how good the movies are -- and they haven't been -- at least not on a globally-universal level with the crowds they need to be.  Man of Steel (according to former Warner Bros. co-head Jeff Robinov) was projected to gross $1Billion.  BvS, had it been better quality/different tone, should have grossed $1.5 billion.  Justice League should have been a no-brainer for $2 billion.  Instead they all fumbled (with Justice League arguably fumbling *twice* in two different edits) and AQUAMAN and JOKER, of all things, gross $1 billion and become DC's most reliable/least-controversial star players!  Hilarious...  

I know, I know...not the DCU thread.  Will be interesting where and how BLACK ADAM shows up next...but I doubt it will be a direct sequel.  I would support mid-budget level spin-offs for Doctor Fate and Hawkman, but I think those are unlikely at the present stage, considering Zaslav seems to want to concentrate on the Big 3/5.  

JL was never going to make $2 billion. That’s a an absurd notion. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

JL was never going to make $2 billion. That’s a an absurd notion. 

It should have been possible for the first live-action concept of that iconic team. 

Nothing absurd about it when Marvel's teams achieved it.  

Edited by Macleod

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

This argument is getting too "black or white" imho.

The dceu failed to take off cause superman didnt connect. And batman. And the majority of the jl tbh. Cavills portrayal was divisive at best. Social media reactiona dont equate general audience reactions. And mos absolutely underperformed.

On 11/5/2022 at 1:54 AM, excel1 said:

They established a true name player in the DCEU. That is worth the investment long term. Black Adam vs. Superman is bigger than Superman vs. Metallo etc

Honestly I don’t see BA v SM being bigger than the first Man of Steel…

Just now, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

A great Superman movie can be collosal no matter his opponent. This is why they should really be putting their focus on making a great Superman movie before clashing him with BA.

Which is what I think they are doing especially after seeing these box office numbers. Superman doesn’t need any help at all.. it’s the other way round 

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

It should have been possible for the first live-action concept of that iconic team. 

Nothing absurd about it when Marvel's teams achieved it.  

Marvel achieved it after 10 years of buildup. One company doing it doesn’t mean the other can do it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah, I don't know, the excitement for Cavill's Superman feels like a very online-fandom specific thing. He wasn't especially well-received in the role. But if Man of Steel 2 is a great movie and is a clear shift from the Snyder DCEU, it could still be a big hit. 

Ya, agreed. While I think Cavills stardom has definitely risen from when he first made MOS I don’t think him being Superman really “helps” box office perspectives. With that said, a well received Superman blockbuster can do big numbers so there’s definitely potential. 

• Like 1

I think Cavill is fine enough for Superman, that they could definitely do a soft reboot, the way they did with Thor, and it would work just fine.

I should note that I don’t mean that they should make Superman a Himbo comedy. I just mean that I think there’s been enough time where it’s possible to do some tonal changes to the property that would make it feel more like Superman. More wonder, more optimism, etc

• Like 4

When will we finally get another big DCEU hit?! It’s been way too long! 

Shazam was a modest hit due to its low budget, Birds of Prey flopped, TSS flopped and now Black Adam is a flop. 

Im not counting WW84 and TSS for obvious reasons, but if I were WB I’d stop green lighting lesser known characters, even if the budget is lower, until the universe is back on track and able to support said characters like the MCU. 

Still excited for Blue Beetle but Black Adam’s current performance has me nervous! 

18 minutes ago, El Gato said:

When will we finally get another big DCEU hit?! It’s been way too long! 

Shazam was a modest hit due to its low budget, Birds of Prey flopped, TSS flopped and now Black Adam is a flop. 

Im not counting WW84 and TSS for obvious reasons, but if I were WB I’d stop green lighting lesser known characters, even if the budget is lower, until the universe is back on track and able to support said characters like the MCU. 

Still excited for Blue Beetle but Black Adam’s current performance has me nervous! 

The only problem with black adam is the budget, it’s performing exactly like the movie should for the character it is. Making less popular characters is fine as long as you keeps budgets in check. If Blue Beetle costs them the same or a bit more then Shazam and it performs the same they’ll be very happy. Not every movie is making over 500m, especially when they aren’t marvel(and aren’t getting a release in China or Russia). 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 3