grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

Just now, snarkmachine said:

This movie flopping is fascinating to me. The Rock can sell all kinds of dreck but he can’t sell DC IP? Is his star power finally waning?

Per the board, it's probably getting to 2x production budget WW (or $390M+ WW) - it's at $367M+ with one last big market to open.

To get to 2x budget, it would be a "disappointment" but not a flop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

This movie flopping is fascinating to me. The Rock can sell all kinds of dreck but he can’t sell DC IP? Is his star power finally waning?

It’s doing about inline with a typical non-F&F/non-Jumanji film for The Rock. The problem is the high budget and lack of a release in China. 

Edited by WittyUsername

11 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

It has been waning since years now. People seem to forget that Jumanji was 5 years ago and apart from maybe Hobbs and Shaw, he didn't have many solid successes.

Edited by Saul Goodman

12 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Per the board, it's probably getting to 2x production budget WW (or $390M+ WW) - it's at $367M+ with one last big market to open.

To get to 2x budget, it would be a "disappointment" but not a flop.

Terminator Genisys was a flop with $155m production budget and $440.6m worldwide gross (Jason Clark says it was $50-60m short to greenlight the next installment). Black Adam with $195-200m budget and bigger marketing will finish its run under $400 million ww, it's deffinetly a flop.

3 hours ago, Juby said:

Terminator Genisys was a flop with $155m production budget and $440.6m worldwide gross (Jason Clark says it was $50-60m short to greenlight the next installment). Black Adam with $195-200m budget and bigger marketing will finish its run under $400 million ww, it's deffinetly a flop.

You’re missing some important context. Genisys made less than $100 million domestically, and also made over $100 million in China. For clarification, studios receive a greater share of a movie’s domestic gross than they do the international gross, and they receive a smaller share of a movie’s gross in China in particular.

This movie has made over $150 million domestically so far, and hasn’t been released in China, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. 

• Like 1

Okay. So lets use typical %% gross for this film.

Studio will get around 55% of domestic tickets sale (will finish with max. $170m) = $93.5m

+maybe 40% from overseas markets (will winish with max. $230m) = $92m

= $185.5m total maximum

Production budget was $195-200m + probably over $100m for P&A = around $300m. I don't know how great licenses/ tv rights/ 4K/Blu-ray/DVD sale BA needs to break even, but it seems barely possible to me.

33 minutes ago, Juby said:

Okay. So lets use typical %% gross for this film.

Studio will get around 55% of domestic tickets sale (will finish with max. $170m) = $93.5m

+maybe 40% from overseas markets (will winish with max. $230m) = $92m

= $185.5m total maximum

Production budget was $195-200m + probably over $100m for P&A = around $300m. I don't know how great licenses/ tv rights/ 4K/Blu-ray/DVD sale BA needs to break even, but it seems barely possible to me.

You forgot about video costs, residuals, interest and participations; add another $150 million or more to the final cost.

Edited by Factcheck

On 11/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, Juby said:

Terminator Genisys only did $90M domestic and $113M were from China.

I don’t see anything wrong with The Rock’s comments. He’s made it clear that he respects the folks at Marvel. He just thinks it’s silly to compare a film like this to a Black Panther sequel, which i would have to agree with. This movie is performing about inline with what you’d expect. The studio just overspent on it. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see anything wrong with The Rock’s comments. He’s made it clear that he respects the folks at Marvel. He just thinks it’s silly to compare a film like this to a Black Panther sequel, which i would have to agree with. This movie is performing about inline with what you’d expect. The studio just overspent on it. 

He's not wrong but man going from marketing the character as "changing the hierarchy of the DC universe" to "We're new babies, we need to grow" is literally this meme

Swole Doge vs. Cheems | Know Your Meme

• Haha 6