grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

On 11/7/2022 at 4:20 PM, YourCake said:

To be fair, I think the most important thing that helped the Marvel franchise succeed is the very fact that they already lost their A-list properties (Spiderman, Xmen, Fantastic Four) to other studios, which is why they had to work from the ground and created the kind of characters that modern audience wanted to see and could easily connect with. I bet that Marvel would be drunk on their high horse and make the same mistakes as DC/WB if they had their "A-list champions" at first.

Great point!

I enjoyed this well enough. I still can't stand these modern CGI environment movies and the Rock has been in a few of them lately, like Jungle Cruise. It looked so incredibly cheap for a $200M budget. 

However, I really.liked the characters outside the mom and kid and the setup for the future was exciting. The movie did its job I guess.

On to Shazam: Fury of the Gods in March!

Edited by Verrows

On 11/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, YourCake said:

To be fair, I think the most important thing that helped the Marvel franchise succeed is the very fact that they already lost their A-list properties (Spiderman, Xmen, Fantastic Four) to other studios, which is why they had to work from the ground and created the kind of characters that modern audience wanted to see and could easily connect with. I bet that Marvel would be drunk on their high horse and make the same mistakes as DC/WB if they had their "A-list champions" at first.

I'm pretty sure it was Robert Downey Jr holding up entire Marvel Franchise, like Atlas holding up the entire globe, that did it.

The thing is with this movie, even though it wasn’t a smash hit, doesn’t seem like it really did a lot of damage either.

They can easily rework the Black Adam character a little and then put him into an ensemble. The Rock fighting around with other DC heroes will probably get people more excited, he’s still a popular figure who can attract audiences.

9 hours ago, exomassey said:

The thing is with this movie, even though it wasn’t a smash hit, doesn’t seem like it really did a lot of damage either.

They can easily rework the Black Adam character a little and then put him into an ensemble. The Rock fighting around with other DC heroes will probably get people more excited, he’s still a popular figure who can attract audiences.

I'm not sure rocks ego would be okay with being relegated to bit player in other peoples movies.

The consensus here is. ..and I 100% agree..they really overspent on this film. It is doing roughly the same numbers that Shazam did, but since Shazam cost 100 Million, roughly half the cost of Black Adam did, Warners got a  good return on their investment with Shazam,a nd will lose money on Black Adam.

• Like 1

Just rewatched Shazam and still love it. Shazam's $100m budget was just half the budget of BA, but both films will end up making similar numbers. 

Also Mark Strong was fantastic as the main vilian, compared to the nothingburger Big Bad in BA.

It was just a bad call to have Rock with a Terminator like personality as BA when he needs funny roles like Jumanji to let his charisma shine.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:28 PM, Mojoguy said:

Just rewatched Shazam and still love it. Shazam's $100m budget was just half the budget of BA, but both films will end up making similar numbers. 

Also Mark Strong was fantastic as the main vilian, compared to the nothingburger Big Bad in BA.

It was just a bad call to have Rock with a Terminator like personality as BA when he needs funny roles like Jumanji to let his charisma shine.

Whithout China and Russia Shazam did $312M.