cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

21 hours ago, spaghetti! said:

I think The Breadwinner is likely GKIDS' best bet, but I've heard good things about BIRDBOY.

I saw Birdboy last year and enjoyed it quite a fair bit, but I really don't see it getting a nom, to be honest. Doesn't really seem like the Academy's style.

On 10/14/2017 at 2:40 PM, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

If Loving Vincent qualifies, I think it gets in and potentially wins depending on how Coco is recieved.

While I definitely agree it's likely to be nominated (assuming it qualifies) I don't think it's going to win. The reviews have been fairly lukewarm for a prestige project like this. I myself saw it this morning and, art-style aside, I thought it was pretty lousy. There are much better options in the field even if Coco flops. 

For example, while we're speaking of animated films I saw this morning, The Breadwinner is great and you should all go see it if you get the chance. I'm still rooting for In the Corner of this World at the moment, but if Breadwinner wins I certainly won't be complaining.

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

My new article on Awards Watch:

I have a question about the Best Animated Feature voting that you might know the answer to.

I think I read somewhere a few years ago that those who vote in Best Animated Feature must watch half or more of the nominees to be able to vote. Does this still hold true after the rule change that allowed other academy members to vote?

Edited by slambros

12 hours ago, slambros said:

I have a question about the Best Animated Feature voting that you might know the answer to.

I think I read somewhere a few years ago that those who vote in Best Animated Feature must watch half or more of the nominees to be able to vote. Does this still hold true after the rule change that allowed other academy members to vote?

Hi Slambros, before 2017, voting was done by only the animation branch who were required to watch more or at least half of the nominees.

Now everyone gets to vote from AMPAS, from all branches and they don't necessarily have to see any indie film.

If am let's say from the costumes branch and I saw DM3, Cars 3, Underpants, Coco, Nut Job, Emoji and Pony, I can just vote for 5 of these and that's it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Hi Slambros, before 2017, voting was done by only the animation branch who were required to watch more or at least half of the nominees.

Now everyone gets to vote from AMPAS, from all branches and they don't necessarily have to see any indie film.

If am let's say from the costumes branch and I saw DM3, Cars 3, Underpants, Coco, Nut Job, Emoji and Pony, I can just vote for 5 of these and that's it. 

:whosad:

On 31/10/2017 at 9:07 AM, MinaTakla said:

Didn't know that. Sad, because it hurts small great foreign entries. After first couple of reviews for Coco, it's clearly the frontrunner.

Coco

Ferdinand

Breadwinner

Baby Boss

Lego Batman

On 11/3/2017 at 10:45 AM, stripe said:

Didn't know that. Sad, because it hurts small great foreign entries. After first couple of reviews for Coco, it's clearly the frontrunner.

Coco

Ferdinand

Breadwinner

Baby Boss

Lego Batman

If the Lego Movie missed out due to questionable eligibility back in 2014, I don't really see Lego Batman overcoming that. Plus, maybe it's just the trailers I've seen, but Ferdinand looks absolutely awful.

But yeah, with those positive early reviews coming out for Coco, this looks like Pixar's Oscar to lose. Even if it ends up coming out lukewarm overall, I could still see it pulling a Brave and winning by virtue of namebrand. Shame too. I'd like to see a non-Ghibli foreign movie win for once.

• Like 1

i dunno. lego batman doesn't have any live action scenes unlike lego movie. and it just seems like a weaker year should make it easier for it. especially we don't know how this new voting system of every branch voting for the nominations could shake out. could mean a more mainstream field in general. i wouldn't even discount something like despicable me 3. i'm sure movies like the first lego and tintin which the animation branch would have more gripes with than anyone else would've been nominated thru this system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

If the Lego Movie missed out due to questionable eligibility back in 2014, I don't really see Lego Batman overcoming that. Plus, maybe it's just the trailers I've seen, but Ferdinand looks absolutely awful.

But yeah, with those positive early reviews coming out for Coco, this looks like Pixar's Oscar to lose. Even if it ends up coming out lukewarm overall, I could still see it pulling a Brave and winning by virtue of namebrand. Shame too. I'd like to see a non-Ghibli foreign movie win for once.

That's the thing though; with a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, Coco has more than a lukewarm reception.

13 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dunno. lego batman doesn't have any live action scenes unlike lego movie. and it just seems like a weaker year should make it easier for it. especially we don't know how this new voting system of every branch voting for the nominations could shake out. could mean a more mainstream field in general. i wouldn't even discount something like despicable me 3. i'm sure movies like the first lego and tintin which the animation branch would have more gripes with than anyone else would've been nominated thru this system.

True. Honestly though I haven't really been feeling that much hype for it in this race and the confusion over the Lego movie's eligibility probably isn't going to help it any. Maybe the new rules will help it push through, I dunno. But I'm not going to be surprised if it misses out.

10 hours ago, slambros said:

That's the thing though; with a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, Coco has more than a lukewarm reception.

That's only 14 reviews though. And the 7.9 average rating, while undeniably very good, isn't exactly the same untouchable level as Pixar's usual raves. There's a lot of room for it to potentially drop.

(Not saying I think that will happen, mind, but it's still a possibility.)

(Besides which, it's almost certainly going to win regardless.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

True. Honestly though I haven't really been feeling that much hype for it in this race and the confusion over the Lego movie's eligibility probably isn't going to help it any. Maybe the new rules will help it push through, I dunno. But I'm not going to be surprised if it misses out.

That's only 14 reviews though. And the 7.9 average rating, while undeniably very good, isn't exactly the same untouchable level as Pixar's usual raves. There's a lot of room for it to potentially drop.

(Not saying I think that will happen, mind, but it's still a possibility.)

(Besides which, it's almost certainly going to win regardless.)

Brave got a 78% score and won over supposed favorite Wreck-It Ralph (86%). Coco doesn't need Pixar best reviews to win, especially in this field. 

• Like 2

The following is a copy of a post I made on the Anime thread in the Animation forum. These are comments I've made on a film that probably won't end up with a nomination here, but certainly deserves it.

My local theater had A Silent Voice as a special event. Knowing that this was the only chance I would have at seeing it in theaters, I drove myself to the cinema and saw the film. I brought my notebook so I could jot down anything I could about the film, before realizing it was too dark to write legibly. So I simply watched the film.

When the credits began to roll, I waited until the other attendees (a single digit numbers of moviegoers for sure) left the auditorium. Then, I got up from my chair, went down on my knees, and prayed to God. I cried as I asked Jesus for help with something the film revealed to me as a personal problem (explaining the moment in depth would spoil the film).

A Silent Voice is a life-changing masterpiece. I don't care if I'm placing your expectations high on this one; this is a film that truly deserves to be seen; a film that tells a complete story, a film that truly exhibits heart, a film that explores what it means to truly live. I firmly believe that God had a hand in this film. Through whatever means you can, see this film if you have the time.

• Like 1