Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

An authoritarian, fascist empire using an unstoppable military force to stomp out freedom fighters who want democracy and self-determination, none of that relates to the political climate today?

How is Star Trek Beyond more relevant? 

It relates to 1939 more than it does 2017. Trump is running an authoritarian administration, no doubt about it, but we're not quite at the stage yet where such a plot points to USA 2017. Maybe if the film went deeper, but as it is there's not much there that directly relates to what Trump is doing today. Also, everything you just described was a part of the original trilogy too. Civil War & Zootopia had more to say about our current political climate than Rogue One. 

And I meant Star Trek in general. I thought that was obvious...

Edited by tonytr87

16 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It relates to 1939 more than it does 2017. Trump is running an authoritarian administration, no doubt about it, but we're not quite at the stage yet where such a plot points to USA 2017. Maybe if the film went deeper, but as it is there's not much there that directly relates to what Trump is doing today. Also, everything you just described was a part of the original trilogy too. Civil War & Zootopia had more to say about our current political climate than Rogue One. 

And I meant Star Trek in general. I thought that was obvious...

If social media is anything to go by though, RO and TFA have resonated way more with POC and women than the other blockbusters simply by putting POC and women leads front and centre. To be fair to Trek, Roddenberry will always be a zillion times more of a visionary than Lucas when it comes to bucking socio-political norms (latter who is not even responsible for most of the awesome aspects of the OT) but the tables have turned with the latest takes on the two franchises, with Star Wars actively reaching out to women and POC while the new Trek films, while retaining the groundbreaking diversity of the original series, haven't really done much to capitalise on it.

Sometimes just the act of greater inclusion and better representation proves to be more political and influential than more nuanced takes in storytelling that still retain the same old status quo when it comes to the protagonist(s), as was the case with STB and CW. Unfortunately even Zootopia, for all its allegories, still features a straight white male actor voicing its main "marginalised" character. In that regard, I feel Moana was the stronger WDAS film of 2016, despite its "simpler" story.

• Like 1

I just saw Jackie last night. Portman gives one of the best performances ive ever seen. Stone being nominated in my opinion is already not right but if she wins this year over Natalie Portman it's an absolute crime.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just saw Jackie last night. Portman gives one of the best performances ive ever seen. Stone being nominated in my opinion is already not right but if she wins this year over Natalie Portman it's an absolute crime.

I hope La La Land doesn't win after all its nominations.

I know Hollywood has a hard on for the film and to be fair the film is sucking hollywoods dick, BUT it can still lose screenplay, both acting ones, editing, score, sound editing/mixing, and cinematography.

• Like 1

I don't think Civil War really 'said' anything that Winter Solider hadn't already covered, it just used Iron Man to stretch the point even further. Rogue One's political themes aren't any more specific than the usual SW movie (that it to say, deliberately broad as hell). But Zootopia is a fair shout. The tone of animation has become a lot more daring and sophisticated in the last couple of decades.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

If social media is anything to go by though, RO and TFA have resonated way more with POC and women than the other blockbusters simply by putting POC and women leads front and centre. To be fair to Trek, Roddenberry will always be a zillion times more of a visionary than Lucas when it comes to bucking socio-political norms (latter who is not even responsible for most of the awesome aspects of the OT) but the tables have turned with the latest takes on the two franchises, with Star Wars actively reaching out to women and POC while the new Trek films, while retaining the groundbreaking diversity of the original series, haven't really done much to capitalise on it.

Sometimes just the act of greater inclusion and better representation proves to be more political and influential than more nuanced takes in storytelling that still retain the same old status quo when it comes to the protagonist(s), as was the case with STB and CW. Unfortunately even Zootopia, for all its allegories, still features a straight white male actor voicing its main "marginalised" character. In that regard, I feel Moana was the stronger WDAS film of 2016, despite its "simpler" story.

To be fair, if the guy playing Nick is Irish, Italian, Catholic or Jewish, his ancestors were marginiziled by Americans in 1800s and 1900s. Or by everyone in every point of history for the Jewish

5 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

To be fair, if the guy playing Nick is Irish, Italian, Catholic or Jewish, his ancestors were marginiziled by Americans in 1800s and 1900s. Or by everyone in every point of history for the Jewish

Ok but it doesn't make it especially relevant to current times.

*Bateman's not Jewish

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Not sure where to post this, so I'll do it here. Throughout the entire year, I've been following track of the entirety of the year's box office, particularly the DOM top 5. I've actually accounted how much money did every movie make IN the top 5 DOM hits during the FriSatSun periods from the begginning until the end of the year. Important to notice is that the accumulated money is rounded out, and that movies w/greater legs are privileged. If a movie that had a smaller OW still ties the top 5 money of one w/a bigger OW, the one w/the smaller one will be placed higher.

NOTE: This is ONLY the 3-day weekend money these movies made. Any movie that opened on a Wednesday or had the Monday on the weekend will ONLY see the FriSatSun money accounted. Exception however given to Tuesday previews, since, as Thursday previews count as part of Friday, I figured it would only be fair to count Tuesday previews as part of the numbers as well.

NOTE2: In Italic, movies from 2015 present in the year's top 5's.

JUST 2016 (only the money made in 2016 top 5's is accounted)

1. Captain America: Civil War - 292M
  2. Finding Dory - 281.8M
  3. The Jungle Book - 261M
  4. Deadpool - 255.6M
  5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 252M
  6. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - 249.7M
  7. Zootopia - 235.9M
  8. Suicide Squad - 225.9M
  9. The Secret Life Of Pets - 215.2M
  10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 191.1M
  11. Doctor Strange - 170.8M
  12. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 153M
  13. Moana - 126.2M
  14. The Revenant - 113.8M
  15. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 103.7M
  16. Trolls - 99M
  17. X-Men: Apocalypse - 98.5M
  18. Jason Bourne - 95.4M
  19. Star Trek Beyond - 94.1M
  20. Sully - 78.5M
  21. The Legend Of Tarzan - 70.9M
  22. The Angry Birds Movie - 67.2M
  23. Ghostbusters - 67M
  24. Sing - 66.3M
  25. The Conjuring 2 - 62.6M
  26. Sausage Party - 62.5M
  27. Arrival - 60.9M
  28. The Magnificent Seven - 59.3M
  29. Independence Day: Resurgence - 57.7M
  30. Don't Breathe - 56.1M
  31. Ride Along 2 - 56.1M
  32. Daddy's Home - 53.7M
  33. Central Intelligence - 53.7M
  34. Boo! A Madea Halloween - 53.4M
  35. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - 53M
  36. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 49.7M
  37. Bad Moms - 49.2M
  38. The Accountant - 46.8M
  39. The Girl On The Train - 43.9M
  40. The Purge: Election Year - 43.9M
  41. Storks - 43.1M
  42. The Boss - 39.8M
  43. The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 38.4M
  44. Alice Through The Looking Glass - 38.2M
  45. Deepwater Horizon - 38.1M
  46. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 37.2M
  47. Barbershop: The Next Cut - 36.8M
  48. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 35.6M
  49. The Huntsman: Winter's War - 32.9M
  50. Pete's Dragon - 32.8M
  51. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 32.5M
  52. Ice Age: Collision Course - 32.4M
  53. London Has Fallen - 32.4M
  54. Miracles From Heaven - 31.8M
  55. Now You See Me 2 - 31.8M
  56. Warcraft - 31.4M
  57. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - 31.2M
  58. Kubo And The Two Strings - 26.8M
  59. Passengers - 26.5M
  60. How To Be Single - 26.1M
  61. Hacksaw Ridge - 25.8M
  62. Office Christmas Party - 25.5M
  63. Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates - 24.3M
  64. Mother's Day - 22.8M
  65. Almost Christmas - 22.4M
  66. Lights Out - 21.7M
  67. Ouija: Origin Of Evil - 21.2M
  68. Inferno - 21.1M
  69. Allied - 20.3M
  70. Sisters - 20M
  71. Gods Of Egypt - 19.3M
  72. The BFG - 18.8M
  73. Me Before You - 18.7M
  74. Risen - 18.6M
  75. The Shallows - 16.8M
  76. Why Him? - 16.5M
  77. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi - 16.2M
  78. The Hateful Eight - 15.7M
  79. Money Monster - 14.8M
  80. War Dogs - 14.7M
  81. When The Bough Breaks - 14.2M
  82. Zoolander 2 - 13.8M
  83. Bridget Jones's Baby - 13.3M
  84. Keanu - 12.8M
  85. The Forest - 12.7M
  86. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 12.2M
  87. Snowden - 12.1M
  88. Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip - 12.1M
  89. Kevin Hart: What Now? - 11.8M
  90. Assassin's Creed - 11.7M
  91. Hail, Caesar! - 11.4M
  92. The Nice Guys - 11.2M
  93. Dirty Grandpa - 11.1M
  94. The Boy - 10.8M
  95. The Finest Hours - 10.3M
  96. Blair Witch - 9.6M
  97. The Witch - 8.8M
  98. God's Not Dead 2 - 7.6M
  99. Mechanic: Resurrection - 7.5M
  100. Collateral Beauty - 7.1M
  101. Triple 9 - 6.1M
  102. The Choice - 6.1M
  103. Hardcore Henry - 5.1M
  104. The Darkness - 5M
  105. The Wild Life - 3.3M

W/FULL RUNS ADDED (2015 movies have the money they made in 2015 top 5's, and 2016 movies that carried into 2017 will see that money accounted)

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 588.3M
  2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 304.3M
  3. Captain America: Civil War - 292M
  4. Finding Dory - 281.8M
  5. The Jungle Book - 261M
  6. Deadpool - 255.6M
  7. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - 249.7M
  8. Zootopia - 235.9M
  9. Suicide Squad - 225.9M
  10. The Secret Life Of Pets - 215.2M
  11. Doctor Strange - 170.8M
  12. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 153M
  13. Moana - 129.8M
  14. Sing - 122.5M
  15. The Revenant - 113.8M
  16. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 103.7M
  17. Trolls - 99M
  18. X-Men: Apocalypse - 98.5M
  19. Jason Bourne - 95.4M
  20. Star Trek Beyond - 94.1M
  21. Daddy's Home - 92.4M
  22. Sully - 78.5M
  23. The Legend Of Tarzan - 70.9M
  24. The Angry Birds Movie - 67.2M
  25. Ghostbusters - 67M
  26. The Conjuring 2 - 62.6M
  27. Sausage Party - 62.5M
  28. Arrival - 60.9M
  29. The Magnificent Seven - 59.3M
  30. Independence Day: Resurgence - 57.7M
  31. Don't Breathe - 56.1M
  32. Ride Along 2 - 56.1M
  33. Central Intelligence - 53.7M
  34. Boo! A Madea Halloween - 53.4M
  35. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - 53M
  36. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows - 49.7M
  37. Bad Moms - 49.2M
  38. Sisters - 48.1M
  39. The Accountant - 46.8M
  40. The Girl On The Train - 43.9M
  41. The Purge: Election Year - 43.9M
  42. Storks - 43.1M
  43. The Boss - 39.8M
  44. Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip - 39.4M
  45. The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 38.4M
  46. Alice Through The Looking Glass - 38.2M
  47. Deepwater Horizon - 38.1M
  48. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 37.2M
  49. Barbershop: The Next Cut - 36.8M
  50. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 35.6M
  51. The Huntsman: Winter's War - 32.9M
  52. Pete's Dragon - 32.8M
  53. Passengers - 32.5M
  54. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 32.5M
  55. Ice Age: Collision Course - 32.4M
  56. London Has Fallen - 32.4M
  57. Miracles From Heaven - 31.8M
  58. Now You See Me 2 - 31.8M
  59. Warcraft - 31.4M
  60. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - 31.2M
  61. Kubo And The Two Strings - 26.8M
  62. How To Be Single - 26.1M
  63. Hacksaw Ridge - 25.8M
  64. Office Christmas Party - 25.5M
  65. Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates - 24.3M
  66. Mother's Day - 22.8M
  67. Almost Christmas - 22.4M
  68. Lights Out - 21.7M
  69. Ouija: Origin Of Evil - 21.2M
  70. Why Him? - 21.1M
  71. Inferno - 21.1M
  72. Allied - 20.3M
  73. Gods Of Egypt - 19.3M
  74. The BFG - 18.8M
  75. Me Before You - 18.7M
  76. Risen - 18.6M
  77. The Shallows - 16.8M
  78. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi - 16.2M
  79. The Hateful Eight - 15.7M
  80. Money Monster - 14.8M
  81. War Dogs - 14.7M
  82. When The Bough Breaks - 14.2M
  83. Zoolander 2 - 13.8M
  84. Bridget Jones's Baby - 13.3M
  85. Keanu - 12.8M
  86. The Forest - 12.7M
  87. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 12.2M
  88. Snowden - 12.1M
  89. Kevin Hart: What Now? - 11.8M
  90. Assassin's Creed - 11.7M
  91. Hail, Caesar! - 11.4M
  92. The Nice Guys - 11.2M
  93. Dirty Grandpa - 11.1M
  94. The Boy - 10.8M
  95. The Finest Hours - 10.3M
  96. Blair Witch - 9.6M
  97. The Witch - 8.8M
  98. God's Not Dead 2 - 7.6M
  99. Mechanic: Resurrection - 7.5M
  100. Collateral Beauty - 7.1M
  101. Triple 9 - 6.1M
  102. The Choice - 6.1M
  103. Hardcore Henry - 5.1M
  104. The Darkness - 5M
  105. The Wild Life - 3.3M
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ok but it doesn't make it especially relevant to current times.

*Bateman's not Jewish

Im lost at how Bateman not being apart of a marginalized group takes away from Zootopia's message.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I don't think Civil War really 'said' anything that Winter Solider hadn't already covered, it just used Iron Man to stretch the point even further. Rogue One's political themes aren't any more specific than the usual SW movie (that it to say, deliberately broad as hell). But Zootopia is a fair shout. The tone of animation has become a lot more daring and sophisticated in the last couple of decades.

Winter Soldier explores the infiltration and take over of our government by a neo nazi cult meanwhile, alt right/white nationalist leader, Steve Bannon purges the National Security Council in real life.

Civil War explores how the fight to keep Americans safe is causing innocent people to die in overseas war zones which creates new enemies everyday and that the government's attempt to keep an air tight grip on any potential rogue elements not only restricts the individual, it also breeds distrust and uncertainty among civil servants, activist and even community leaders. Also such government control can easily be exploited as we are seeing now with Hydra taking over national security and the executive branch.

It's safe to say both movies had a unique message that equally deserve attention and reflection.

RO is extremely relevant. Obama had to destroy a database on Muslims moments before Vader err I mean Trump took office. And who knows what internal battle and secrets the intelligence community is struggling with as we speak. I wouldn't be shocked if some secrets were being kept from Steve Bannon and Trump to stop the complete ruin of our constitutional democracy and prevent the rise of American fascism.

Of course this all sounds like insanity but we're living in an insane time. We'll need heroes like the ones in these "silly" movies to persevere.

They don't use capes or lightsabers but they exist. They always do, nevermore than during times like this.

Edited by grey ghost

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Winter Soldier explores the infiltration and take over of our government by a neo nazi cult meanwhile, alt right/white nationalist leader, Steve Bannon purges the National Security Council in real life.

Civil War explores how the fight to keep Americans safe is causing innocent people to die in overseas war zones which creates new enemies everyday and that the government's attempt to keep an air tight grip on any potential rogue elements not only restricts the individual, it also breeds distrust and uncertainty among civil servants, activist and even community leaders. Also such government control can easily be exploited as we are seeing now with Hydra taking over national security and the executive branch.

It's safe to say both movies had a unique message that equally deserve attention and reflection.

RO is extremely relevant. Obama had to destroy a database on Muslims moments before Vader err I mean Trump took office. And who knows what internal battle and secrets the intelligence community is struggling with as we speak. I wouldn't be shocked if some secrets were being kept from Steve Bannon and Trump to stop the complete ruin of our constitutional democracy and prevent the rise of American fascism.

Of course this all sounds like insanity but we're living in an insane time. We'll need heroes like the ones in these "silly" movies to persevere.

They don't use capes or lightsabers but they exist. They always do, nevermore than during times like this.

The left has lost what little sanity it had. Jump off that crazy train before it is too late.

10 minutes ago, SWXII said:

The left has lost what little sanity it had. Jump off that crazy train before it is too late.

What's worse than being crazy and opposssing neofascism and authoritarianism?

Being sane and supporting those things.

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Not true about TFA. Most PoC are extremly unhappy with Finn and call him jar Jar Binks. The level of PoC butthurt over that lame character is hilarious. All fandom laughs at them. get over it. The movie isn't about him, they needed a comic relief, they cast a PoC actor cause they deemed him the best fit. he was never meant to be a cool character or a lead over Rey or be rey's love interest or whatever. PoC or not. 

Also, since PoC are minority in US, those 936M certianly didn't come from PoC repeat business. I see what you are trying here - to sound like they should expand Finn's role - but that's not gonna work. he isn't selling toys so that's that. There's no demand. 

Edited by Valonqar

21 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Zoo is utopianism for the naive. 

Yeah, people of different races, creeds, backgrounds, etc co-existing without exploiting or destroying each other is naive. 

Actually it's easy if you teach children tolerance, critical thinking and empathy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Not true about TFA. Most PoC aree xtremly unhappy with Finn and call him jar Jar Binks. The level of PoC butthurt over that lame character (cause he's lame and PoC) is hilarious. All fandom laughs at them. get over it. The movie isn't about him, they needed a comic relief, they cast a PoC actor cause they deemed him the best fit. he was never meant to be a cool character or a lead over Rey or whatever. 

The only person I've heard call him Jar Jar Binks is you

Edited by robertman2
  • Like 3