Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

The person I've heard call him Jar Jar Binks is you

here but on other forums he's constantly compared to jar Jar and rightly so. I didn't invent it but I certainly agree with it. he's one of the worst things in SW overall, he, jar Jar and 3PO.  

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Im lost at how Bateman not being apart of a marginalized group takes away from Zootopia's message.

It kind of emphasizes the superficiality of the allegory (though admittedly the whole natural predators being metaphors for the marginalized aspect is weird to begin with).

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not true about TFA. Most PoC aree xtremly unhappy with Finn and call him jar Jar Binks. The level of PoC butthurt over that lame character (cause he's lame and PoC) is hilarious. All fandom laughs at them. get over it. The movie isn't about him, they needed a comic relief, they cast a PoC actor cause they deemed him the best fit. he was never meant to be a cool character or a lead over Rey or whatever. 

I've come across African-American pop-culture commentators providing nuanced insights into Finn and his strengths and shortcomings as a character and what he brings to the table in terms of representation so maybe it is not as unanimous or simple as you are making it out to be? But all the other minority or women characters from TFA and RO have been embraced far more. 

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not true about TFA. Most PoC are extremly unhappy with Finn and call him jar Jar Binks. The level of PoC butthurt over that lame character is hilarious. All fandom laughs at them. get over it. The movie isn't about him, they needed a comic relief, they cast a PoC actor cause they deemed him the best fit. he was never meant to be a cool character or a lead over Rey or be rey's love interest or whatever. PoC or not. 

Also, since PoC are minority in US, those 936M certianly didn't come from PoC repeat business. I see what you are trying here - to sound like they should expand Finn's role - but that's not gonna work. he isn't selling toys so that's that. There's no demand. 

wut

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It kind of emphasizes the superficiality of the allegory (though admittedly the whole natural predators being metaphors for the marginalized aspect is weird to begin with).

I've come across African-American pop-culture commentators providing nuanced insights into Finn and his strengths and shortcomings as a character and what he brings to the table in terms of representation so maybe it is not as unanimous or simple as you are making it out to be? But all the other minority or women characters from TFA and RO have been embraced far more. 

Cause they are much better characters. Bodhi (Riz Ahmed) is Finn done right (and with far better actor). Also, everyone dies so nobody can say PoC are canon fodder while whites survived. True equality if there was ever any which is unusual for Hollywood. They still love their white savior trope especially in real life.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

here but on other forums he's constantly compared to jar Jar and rightly so. I didn't invent it but I certainly agree with it. he's one of the worst things in SW overall, he, jar Jar and 3PO.  

Finn is no where as bad as Jar Jar. Everything about Ja Jar was cringey times a thousand. 

Finn is just a normal guy with a big heart and is in way over his head.

Not every character has to be a complete badass. That would get old quick.

• Like 4

Valonquar has an obvious bias  against black actors and characters and hes annoying as hell. I wish people would stop replying to him cause then I still have to see his posts. 

Like he's literally said Hollywood shouldn't put black people in their films because international audiences can't relate. Like literally. I have no time for his BS. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 21

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Finn is no where as bad as Jar Jar. Everything about Ja Jar was cringey times a thousand. 

Finn is just a normal guy with a big heart and is in way over his head.

Not every character has to be a complete badass. That would get old quick.

True but his constantly unfunny shtick and overacting got old real quick too. They should have spread the wealth and give everyone a bit of this and that instead of having a designated badass, a designated clown, etc. But anyway, TLJ is going to fix by the sound of spoilers. At least he is getting fixed.

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I have seen only a very small minority call 3PO among the worst of Star Wars. I think maybe you are putting your feelings of characters onto other people.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Valonquar has an obvious bias  against black actors and characters and hes annoying as hell. I wish people would stop replying to him cause then I still have to see his posts. 

Like he's literally said Hollywood shouldn't put black people in their films because international audiences can't relate. Like literally. I have no time for his BS. 

Yeah. Very good point.

And also.....just because a black celebrity is put in a blockbuster-movie either as a main role or a side character....doesn't automatically mean that no OS will see those big movies because of them.

Look at Will Smith when he was in big movies like Independence Day, Men In Black-trilogy, I Am Legend, Hancock & the more recent Suicide Squad. Would those movies do lower than expected, because that man was in them? No.....Will is just too charismatic to have a blockbuster that completely flops.

Similar thing with John Boyega. Granted, he is just a rising celebrity and a newcomer in big-budgeted movies.....but i don't think people will avoid Pacific Rim 2 & Star Wars: The Last Jedi, because he is in those movies. Plus...his character, Finn is nothing like Jar Jar...and i say that as someone who actually found Jar Jar tolerable.

• Like 3

Total bull. I didn't say they shouldn't put them in movies but that I don't relate to stories like Moonlight, fencees, etc so I don't bother to see them. Not that they shouldn't make those movies.

Also, I have Ban10 on Ignore and don't demand of other posters to stop quoting him cause I could see it. I simply don't read his race-baiting crap or whatever other crap. I read this one cause his bull starts with my name so I had to see WTF now. 

Finn doesn't sell merch so that's that. I guess people just don't care for the character. 

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Total bull. I didn't say they shouldn't put them in movies but that I don't relate to stories like Moonlight, fencees, etc so I don't bother to see them. Not that they shouldn't make those movies.

Also, I have Ban10 on Ignore and don't demand of other posters to stop quoting him cause I could see it. I simply don't read his race-baiting crap or whatever other crap. I read this one cause his bull starts with my name so I had to see WTF now. 

Finn doesn't sell merch so that's that. I guess people just don't care for the character. 

I mean, pretty much every post you make is about how liberal Hollywood keeps trying to push "message" stories with unqualified actors of color. It's not really a massive stretch. That's barely even coded language. 

• Like 6