Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

They said that about Wilderpeople too :ph34r:.

I am but one man. There are hundreds of Nolan fanboys roaming among us; biding their time, waiting to strike. Dunkirk is locked in for a spot in that particular list.

Plus people like you will probably watch Dunkirk while not watching Wilderpeople. :apocalypse:

• Like 1

1. The LEGO Batman Movie (WB) 4,088 theaters /$8M Fri. (-45%)/3-day: $35.3M (-33%)/4-day:$46.5M/Total:$111.1M /Wk 2
  1. Fifty Shades Darker (Uni) 3,714 theaters (+4) /$6.6M Fri. (-69%)/ 3-day: $22.5M (-52%)/4-day:$26.1M/Total: $94.8M/Wk 2
  1. The Great Wall (Uni/Leg) 3,325 theaters /$5.8M Fri. (includes $970K in previews)/3-day: $16.3M /4-day:$19M /Wk 1
  1. John Wick: Chapter 2(LG) 3,113 theaters /$4.1M Fri. (-63%)/3-day: $14.7M (-52%)/4-day:$17.4/Total:$59.6M/ Wk 2
  1. Fist Fight (WB/NL) 3,185 theaters /$3.9M Fri. (includes $600K in previews)/3-day: $11.1M /4-day:$13.1M/Wk 1
  2. Hidden Figures (Fox) 2,217 theaters (-450)/$1.8M Fri (-17%)/3-day: $7.1M(-11%)/4-day: $8.5M/Total:$144M /Wk 9
  3. Split(Uni/Blumhouse) 2,445 theaters (-516)  /$1.8M Fri (-32%)/3-day: $7.1M (-26%)/4-day: $8.3M/Total:$124.9M /Wk 5
  4.  A Dog’s Purpose (Uni/Amblin/Walden) 2,400 theaters   (-625)/$1.3M Fri (-24%) /3-day: $5.9M(-18%)/4-day:$7.6M/Total: $52.7M/ Wk 4

9. A Cure for Wellness (New Reg/Fox) 2,704 theaters /$1.6M Fri. (includes $300K in previews)/3-day: $4.7M /4-day: $5.4M/Wk 1

10. La La Land (Lionsgate) 1,587 (-478) /$1.1M Fri (-17%)/3-day:$4.4M (-10%)/4-day: $5.3M/Total:$134.3M / Wk 11

11. Lion(TWC) 1,542 theaters  (+205) /$981K Fri (-9%) /3-day: $3.8M (-4%)/4-day: $4.6M/Total:$36.9M/Wk 13

• Like 8

Woah Cure for Wellness was bad. I gotta be honest, it lost any comparisons with shutter island when I realized how weak the storytelling was halfway through. The payoff was not there at all, and it wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. Long, boring, although well made on a technical level with shot composition, music, lighting, sound, and some of the performances, I can totally see why this is flopping.

I enjoyed Fist Fight on the other hand. No real laugh out loud funny moments, but I chuckled quite often. Being a high school senior myself, it's so funny to watch all these stereotypes put on screen, and laugh at how accurate but also how exaggerated it all is. Dumb, but not the worst.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Woah Cure for Wellness was bad. I gotta be honest, it lost any comparisons with shutter island when I realized how weak the storytelling was halfway through. The payoff was not there at all, and it wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. Long, boring, although well made on a technical level with shot composition, music, lighting, sound, and some of the performances, I can totally see why this is flopping.

I enjoyed Fist Fight on the other hand. No real laugh out loud funny moments, but I chuckled quite often. Being a high school senior myself, it's so funny to watch all these stereotypes put on screen, and laugh at how accurate but also how exaggerated it all is. Dumb, but not the worst.

See, therein lies the problem with Fist Fight.  The way you make it sound, it's almost like a steroided version of a John Hughes movie.  But the way it was marketed was just simply two teachers are out to fight.  I don't see any appeal in that at all.  But the other concept does have some appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Also, if there is no laugh out loud funny moments in a comedy: it's failed to do its job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

What do you mean exactly by loosing money initially ? In the sense that over a couple decade or so it will make it back eventually ? I'm not sure there is that much value in a library now (outside some classic title)

Those type of close call performance are case by case, we cannot usually know if they will make or loose money, how accurate budget reporting is, marketing expense, people contract (first dollar gross or not), home video performance all become important factor for those and can vary a lot from title to title. Angels&Demon lost a fortune, Men in black 3 lost money (how were saying that for those 2 before the Sony leak), so little of the revenue is public and usually all the cost are totally private and unknown that we rarely can have a good idea of a movie profit, deadline estimate do a good job for what you can evaluate, but stuff like actors/producers/writers/directors participation bonus and real production budget you often cannot know .

Making it even harder, to have a clue if a movie like The Great wall (or Warcraft) will make money or not, you need to have some rough idea in how much home entertainment/tv revenue movies like those will made in the next 3 year's in China, I have not the first idea, but even in a case were they are getting a 43 to 35% of the gross instead of 25%, if they do not have much HE money relative to the domestic market, doubling your budget is China would not be enough.

You're talking to me like this is my first rodeo.  I understand how all of this works.  But theatrical performance is not the only revenue stream.  That's all I'm saying.  

• Like 1

If LB holds like this my prediction assuming 30% drops (with 35% drops LB reaches $195M):

$111.5M (1st two weeks)

$25M + $6M 3rd Week

$17.5M + $4M 4th Week

$12.6M + $2.8M 5th Week

$7.56M + $2.2M 6th Week (aka BATB week)

$4M + $1.8M 7th Week 

$2M + $1M 8th week

$1.3M + $.8M 9th week $200M

4 hours ago, zackzack said:

Can LB hold a $20M weekend next week? Nothing major on release until Logan drops in the week after.

Yes! With a 30% drop LB reaches $25M, hell it could stay in the double digits until BATB for the weekends.

6 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

I am but one man. There are hundreds of Nolan fanboys roaming among us; biding their time, waiting to strike. Dunkirk is locked in for a spot in that particular list.

Plus people like you will probably watch Dunkirk while not watching Wilderpeople. :apocalypse:

If you make yourself more than just a man...

• Like 1