Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

Manchester was good, but the acting was great. I have to sit on the film for a day or so, but I was really liking where it was going until the end just sorta... happened.

Lmao these two women behind me were some of the dumbest people in the world. I'll speak vaguely and keep spoilers at a minimum but just in case

scenes where say it would switch back to when Lucas Hedges was a kid they would always say "I did not know I was watching one of those stupid movies. How on earth does he keep going back in time?" Or when his daughters showed up in his dream to let him know the soup was burning they would say "that does not even make sense! How could these two look exactly like his kids, and then sneak into his house! And where did they disappear off to when he stood up?"

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

There was outright applause in my theater when

Reveal hidden contents

Same here! Huge applause then.

Honestly, that moment preceded by what's right before it is the best moment of the film. Arguably the most scary moment of the film full of dread and excellent tension

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Jones will be fine. Quiet bombs don't hurt careers. It's loud ones (Pluto Nash, Norbit) that could. And one can even bounce back from them too. Ryan Reynolds after Green Lantern. 

Norbit actually opened decently. It was the reception of that film and the films that he did after that caused Murphy to take an extended break from acting. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Norbit actually opened decently. It was the reception of that film and the films that he did after that caused Murphy to take an extended break from acting. 

Yeah Norbit opened to like 35 million and was #1 lol. I dont' think it lost money either. It just sucked lol. That was probably his last hit actually. Now that I think about it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

I find the zords unimpressive from what I have seen so far.  Bandai releasing the toys before Lionsgate could show off what was going to be in the movie did not help.

As for Kong, it feels like it's The Legend of Tarzan all over again, doesn't it?  Many here are expecting a huge flop, yet once it finally opens, the movie does find an audience and does fine at the box office.

Legend of Tarzan still lost money, though. It just had a better than expected second weekend drop. 

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Yeah Norbit opened to like 35 million and was #1 lol. I dont' think it lost money either. It just sucked lol. That was probably his last hit actually. Now that I think about it. 

Tower Heist did fine, but Norbit is indeed Murphy's last successful film (at least OW weekend wise anyway), to date. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Norbit,  the film that cost Eddie his Oscar (lol) seriously though he was better than Alan Arkin that year..... 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Norbit,  the film that cost Eddie his Oscar (lol) seriously though he was better than Alan Arkin that year..... 

Murphy would have been a deserving winner. Honestly, though, from what I've read, he lost the award because a lot of members in the academy don't especially like him or something like that. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

mm yeah him losing was surprising. He won the GG and the SAG lol. He was probably pissed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Murphy would have been a deserving winner. Honestly, though, from what I've read, he lost the award because a lot of members in the academy don't especially like him or something like that. 

Yeah, he didn't do any favors for himself in the campaign portion and Norbit was like the perfect excuse. 

Oddly enough Norbit was his first comedy in 4 Years at that point (if you consider haunted mansion a comedy). He had slowed way down on the acting front after the early 2000s but Shrek really kept him in the spotlight. 

I absolutely loathe horror genres. But the way you guys and eeeeeeverybody everywhere keeps raving about it, I'm seriously considering watching Get Out...on the big screen...with surround sound!! And to make matters worse, the only person available to go with me is a bigger scaredy cat than me. Yup, I'm going to suffer for art!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, he didn't do any favors for himself in the campaign portion and Norbit was like the perfect excuse. 

Oddly enough Norbit was his first comedy in 4 Years at that point (if you consider haunted mansion a comedy). He had slowed way down on the acting front after the early 2000s but Shrek really kept him in the spotlight. 

Being sticking rich probably meant that he could afford to be more "pickier" with his scripts. Didn't really show in the actual films he did, though.  

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I absolutely loathe horror genres. But the way you guys and eeeeeeverybody everywhere keeps raving about it, I'm seriously considering watching Get Out...on the big screen...with surround sound!! And to make matters worse, the only person available to go with me is a bigger scaredy cat than me. Yup, I'm going to suffer for art!!

see it!!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

This is a movie that literally begs to be seen with a packed theater. I saw it today with a fairly sizeable audience and everyone was going nuts over the last 25-30 minutes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Being sticking rich probably meant that he could afford to be more "pickier" with his scripts. Didn't really show in the actual films he did, though.  

Norbit is also his own script lol which makes it worse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

see it!!!!!

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is a movie that literally begs to be seen with a packed theater. I saw it today with a fairly sizeable audience and everyone was going nuts over the last 25-30 minutes.

Thanks guys. I decided I will be seeing it sometimes this week.

for what it's worth, I have a friend who HATES horror movies and never ever goes to see them in theaters. The one I've seen with him was IT FOLLOWS and he thought it was "just okay"

we saw GET OUT today and he absolutely loved it. WOM is gonna be insane

• Like 8