Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

You're the new Shay. Stay away from Dundirk please.

I am doing my best to keep modest expectations for it :sadben: 

I will not say a word about Murder on the Orient Express from here on 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I agree, the game really deserves its success :)

It sure does.

Honestly, I'm not THAT shocked that it did very well, since the Asian market is very friendly towards video games, and naturally, video game movies. Especially movies based on global MMO sensations (like Warcraft... one can only imagine if they ever do a League Of Legends movie), or based on games from Asian studios that have big impact in those regions, like the Capcom-developed Resident Evil franchise (or Biohazard as it's called over there).

I honestly think that the Sonic movie could absolutely explode in Japan and China (and maybe even in Europe), even if it bombs DOM.

58 minutes ago, franfar said:

The rule of thumb is 2-2.5x it's budget to break even. Those movies passed that hurdle.

That has literally not been the rule of thumb for decades. Almost every blockbuster or intended big hit has a global marketing and distribution cost of $100 million-$175 million on top of the budget. As has been pointed out studios get back a bit less of the international gross, and only 25% of the Chinese gross.

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It sure does.

Honestly, I'm not THAT shocked that it did very well, since the Asian market is very friendly towards video games, and naturally, video game movies. Especially movies based on global MMO sensations (like Warcraft... one can only imagine if they ever do a League Of Legends movie), or based on games from Asian studios that have big impact in those regions, like the Capcom-developed Resident Evil franchise (or Biohazard as it's called over there).

I honestly think that the Sonic movie could absolutely explode in Japan and China (and maybe even in Europe), even if it bombs DOM.

I hope the guy who runs the Sonic Twitter account works the movie

Just now, PDC1987 said:

That has literally not been the rule of thumb for decades. Almost every blockbuster or intended big hit has a global marketing and distribution cost of $100 million-$175 million on top of the budget. As has been pointed out studios get back a bit less of the international gross, and only 25% of the Chinese gross.

2-2.5x still works as a vague guesstimate -- ancillary revenue streams roughly covering the marketing costs for the big tentpoles. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It sure does.

I have doubts for Sonic in Japan, Sonic games don't sell well there, Sonic is way more famous in the US/Europe.

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I have doubts for Sonic in Japan, Sonic games don't sell well there, Sonic is way more famous in the US/Europe.

True, but at the same time, Sonic, regardless of your '06'eses and your Booms of the world, is a gaming icon, the face of Sega (one of the most recognizable Japanese game companies), and I'm pretty sure that his first few games of the Genesis are ones that pretty much any gaming audience must have some memory of (and that Sega will try to milk w/Sonic Mania later this year). The Sonic movie could do very well over there (provided it's anything close to good, and that Sony goes full Minions and blows its load w/the marketing... didn't work that bad for Angry Birds last year).

Just now, CJohn said:

Combined won't reach 400M WW. Gitesh forgets Get Out won't even get released in 95% of the OS markets.

Wouldn't be shocked if Universal did everything in their power to release GO in OS markets now, after that opening. Not saying it'll happen, just saying they could do an effort for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Even with the studio only getting back 25% of the gross the film will likely make back (or close to it) its production cost just from the China run. 

Sony sold the Chinese rights for 7M. Hilarious, I know.

• Like 1