Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Nope. It probably took about $85m from worldwide gross. Yeh it cost $70m, but an animated film released in nearly 4,000 cinemas? That costs money. (P&A). 

Storks made $180M Worldwide, it should be enough to break even.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Storks wasnt a success. 

WB didn't put an animated film in 4000 cinemas just to make $70m.

Under $200m for an animated movie, these days, is dreadful

There's no way I'd call under 200m dreadful. Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls both had respectable grosses last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

There's no way I'd call under 200m dreadful. Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls both had respectable grosses last year. 

I would hope that means WW.

Domestically, if you're making over 200m, you're either Illumination or Disney/Pixar

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Storks wasnt a success. 

WB didn't put an animated film in 4000 cinemas just to make $70m.

Under $200m for an animated movie, these days, is dreadful

So basically you're saying that the likes of Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls' runs were dreadful. Easy there.

Under 100M is where I think the line you drew can be found, and even then, "dreadful" is a harsh ass word.

EDIT: Oh, you meant WW. Ehh, I mean, last year, OS wasn't the best friend of animated films. Sausage Party also didn't gross over 200M, would you call that dreadful? It all relates to the budget at the end of the day. Storks cost 70M, and w/P&A, it probably ended up w/around 150 or 160M in total budget, so it was profitable (182M WW total). Aka, it was a success. Disappointment? Sure. But success? True there.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

So much for TMZ's smear campaign sinking it

Honestly, I think the would-be smear campaign did leave a black mark on it. It could've done way better without it. That being said, over 50M DOM considering everything should make Universal not kick themselves in the balls for associating themselves w/that movie.

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So basically you're saying that the likes of Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls' runs were dreadful. Easy there.

Under 100M is where I think the line you drew can be found, and even then, "dreadful" is a harsh ass word.

EDIT: Oh, you meant WW. Ehh, I mean, last year, OS wasn't the best friend of animated films. Sausage Party also didn't gross over 200M, would you call that dreadful? It all relates to the budget at the end of the day. Storks cost 70M, and w/P&A, it probably ended up w/around 150 or 160M in total budget, so it was profitable (182M WW total). Aka, it was a success.

That's not how it works. 

Studios get ~55% of domestic, less from overseas (40%), China (25%).

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That's not how it works. 

Studios get ~55% of domestic, less from overseas (40%), China (25%).

However using that model, Storks broke even.

• Like 2