Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Get Out is going to get over $100M domestic.

Yep

From a $31 million OW:

$21.5 million ($65 million)

$15 million ($89 million)

$8 million ($104 million)

$5.5 million ($114 million)

$3.5 million ($121 million)

$2.5 million ($125 million)

$1 million ($126 million)

$130 million DOM

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I really liked Tower Heist. It was fun. Of all things I got a picture today with Brett Ratner at Sony Pictures Classics' pre-Oscar party celebrating a bunch of things I've not seen (Elle, The Red Turtle, and something else I forget...). It was funny Brett was sitting directly behind me and at our table we talked to Richard Kind all dinner; the others at the table were no shows.

I enjoyed TH somewhat, but that story you just posted about you and Ratner is a pretty funny sounding moment / scene. Ha!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

Yep

From a $31 million OW:

$21.5 million ($65 million)

$15 million ($89 million)

$8 million ($104 million)

$5.5 million ($114 million)

$3.5 million ($121 million)

$2.5 million ($125 million)

$1 million ($126 million)

$130 million DOM

Yeah, I don't see it hitting 130M from a 31M OW, that's over 4x multi. However I do see it getting close to 120M with the insane WOM it's getting.

100M has got to be considered very close to a lock though.

• Like 1

Sooooo... do you guys now think that Get Out's success is yet another potential indicator of just how much of a juggernaut Black Panther will be? This is the third mainstream black-centric release in recent memory (not as much blockbuster but not exactly small scale either, an opening like this means it had some pedigree attached) w/great reviews and an all-audiences appeal that broke out big time, after Hidden Figures and Straight Outta Compton. Creed, from Ryan Coogler, also did really well. And most black-centric movies that come out always tend to attract an audience regardless of quality (like the Madea movies or Sony's September thrillers). Not to mention, Black Panther literally comes out on Presidents' Day weekend in Black History Month, and it doesn't really have any noteworthy competition (seriously, Fifty Shades Freed, Predator - both of which come out the previous weekend - and Pacific Rim 2 are its fiercest foes on paper as of right now).

I'm dead serious when I say at least over 300M is very possible to happen. Over 130M OW as well.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Sooooo... do you guys now think that Get Out's success is yet another potential indicator of just how much of a juggernaut Black Panther will be? This is the third mainstream black-centric release in recent memory (not as much blockbuster but not exactly small scale either, an opening like this means it had some pedigree attached) w/great reviews and an all-audiences appeal that broke out big time, after Hidden Figures and Straight Outta Compton. Creed, from Ryan Coogler, also did really well. And most black-centric movies that come out always tend to attract an audience regardless of quality (like the Madea movies or Sony's September thrillers). Not to mention, Black Panther literally comes out on Presidents' Day weekend in Black History Month, and it doesn't really have any noteworthy competition (seriously, Fifty Shades Freed, Predator - both of which come out the previous weekend - and Pacific Rim 2 are its two fiercest foes on paper as of right now).

I'm dead serious when I say at least over 300M is very possible to happen. Over 130M OW as well.

If Smurfs (4/7) and Boss Baby (3/31) do less then $115M, then Smallfoot and Larrikins shouldn't be threats either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

If Smurfs (4/7) and Boss Baby (3/31) do less then $115M, then Smallfoot and Larrikins shouldn't be threats either.

Why would they be, though? Doctor Strange and Trolls co-existed just fine (though one has to wonder if DS could've opened to 90M+ or even 100M if kids and families didn't pour almost 50M into Trolls' OW), so Larrikins won't be an issue... and whatever issue it may represent will be vanished when Wreck-It Ralph 2 opens; and Smallfoot will probably change release date as it comes out a weekend before Larrikins right now, and that would be suicidal by WB's part - not to mention, the only non-Lego movie that WAG released yet, Storks, didn't do that great (unfortunely).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Why would they be, though? Doctor Strange and Trolls co-existed just fine (though one has to wonder if DS could've opened to 90M+ or even 100M if kids and families didn't pour almost 50M into Trolls' OW), so Larrikins won't be an issue... and whatever issue it may represent will be vanished when Wreck-It Ralph 2 opens; and Smallfoot will probably change release date as it comes out a weekend before Larrikins right now, and that would be suicidal by WB's part - not to mention, the only non-Lego movie that WAG released yet, Storks, didn't do that great (unfortunely).

Storks did 2.5x its budget, it was a success better then most of Warner Bros previous animated efforts (excluding TLM, TLBM, and Happy Feet). It depends on who moves first, if CU does bad against WW, Larrikins will move and as soon as WAG does another schedule, Smallfoot will move. Also Sherlock Gnomes opens in mid January which could steal attention.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Sooooo... do you guys now think that Get Out's success is yet another potential indicator of just how much of a juggernaut Black Panther will be? This is the third mainstream black-centric release in recent memory (not as much blockbuster but not exactly small scale either, an opening like this means it had some pedigree attached) w/great reviews and an all-audiences appeal that broke out big time, after Hidden Figures and Straight Outta Compton. Creed, from Ryan Coogler, also did really well. And most black-centric movies that come out always tend to attract an audience regardless of quality (like the Madea movies or Sony's September thrillers). Not to mention, Black Panther literally comes out on Presidents' Day weekend in Black History Month, and it doesn't really have any noteworthy competition (seriously, Fifty Shades Freed, Predator - both of which come out the previous weekend - and Pacific Rim 2 are its fiercest foes on paper as of right now).

Pacific Rim 2 is going to crash and burn between Black Panther juggernaut and untitled Fox/Marvel movie sandwich (especially if Fox/Marvel is Deadpool 2 or X23 movie). And I can't wait. Uneeded sequel. Bomb. 

Means BP has nothing to worry about that weekend. 

50Shades is not a competition, and Predator won't have big audience anyway. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Storks did 2.5x its budget, it was a success better then most of Warner Bros previous animated efforts (excluding TLM, TLBM, and Happy Feet). It depends on who moves first, if CU does bad against WW, Larrikins will move and as soon as WAG does another schedule, Smallfoot will move. Also Sherlock Gnomes opens in mid January which could steal attention.

Technically Warner didn't make Happy Feet, they only distributed it, but that's beside the point :P

Storks did really well in terms of legs and budget, but I meant in direct comparision to other similar films from different studios. For instance, Trolls did a better job at recovering its budget from DOM alone than Storks (and Trolls was budgeted at 125M), since it ended up at almost 150M DOM against Storks at 72M. This while everyone predicted it to be a bomb mere months before its opening. And we can't even call it holiday legs because Moana sent it to a wheelchair a mere 2 weekends after opening. That's the kind of line I'd expect Smallfoot to fall on.

But I think that DreamWorks shouldn't worry about moving Larrikins with or without success by Captain Underpants, as, if Trolls and Disney are any indication, animated musicals sell. Like, a lot. And a Margot/singing Jackman duo probably sells too. True counter-programming right there. CU is radically different from Trolls/Larrikins in style. It's a superhero movie opening against another superhero movie, basically.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Technically Warner didn't make Happy Feet, they only distributed it, but that's beside the point :P

Storks did really well in terms of legs and budget, but I meant in direct comparision to other similar films from different studios. For instance, Trolls did a better job at recovering its budget from DOM alone than Storks (and Trolls was budgeted at 125M), since it ended up at almost 150M DOM against Storks at 72M. This while everyone predicted it to be a bomb mere months before its opening. And we can't even call it holiday legs because Moana sent it to a wheelchair a mere 2 weekends after opening. That's the kind of line I'd expect Smallfoot to fall on.

But I think that DreamWorks shouldn't worry about moving Larrikins with or without success by Captain Underpants, as, if Trolls and Disney are any indication, animated musicals sell. Like, a lot. And a Margot/singing Jackman duo probably sells too. True counter-programming right there. CU is radically different from Trolls/Larrikins in style. It's a superhero movie opening against another superhero movie, basically.

Still if Larrikins and Smallfoot open so close to each other, both will hurt each other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still if Larrikins and Smallfoot open so close to each other, both will hurt each other.

Yes they will. That's why I said that Smallfoot's the one that needs to change. Larrikins won't be hurt by BP, nor will it hurt BP (at best, it'll take some of the family audience away, but not too badly, I think).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yes they will. That's why I said that Smallfoot's the one that needs to change. Larrikins won't be hurt by BP, nor will it hurt BP (at best, it'll take some of the family audience away, but not too badly, I think).

I think WB and Dreamworks waiting to see how Smurfs and Boss Baby react to each other. Boss Baby seems like another Home/Trolls (Call it the shitty Dreamworks trailer factor "bad" trailer=decent cash)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Storks wasnt a success. 

WB didn't put an animated film in 4000 cinemas just to make $70m.

Under $200m for an animated movie, these days, is dreadful

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1