Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yeah...this will outgross Split for sure. 

Can't see it happening. As fun as it would be to see @WrathOfHan's tears, Split had a lot less competition and it's opening weekend should still be a lot higher, unless Get Out has some insane increases. Plus Split had some really good drops that I can't see Get Out beating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Yeah...this will outgross Split for sure. 

That's going to be tough.  Split is hitting 140 million.  For Get Out to do that it would need about a 4.5X.  Not impossible of course, but not as easy as it sounds.

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Tower Heist did fine, but Norbit is indeed Murphy's last successful film (at least OW weekend wise anyway), to date. 

I really liked Tower Heist. It was fun. Of all things I got a picture today with Brett Ratner at Sony Pictures Classics' pre-Oscar party celebrating a bunch of things I've not seen (Elle, The Red Turtle, and something else I forget...). It was funny Brett was sitting directly behind me and at our table we talked to Richard Kind all dinner; the others at the table were no shows.

I saw Get Out Friday night at ArcLight Hollywood, late showing so it wasn't too busy. They said every showing before was packed. I loved it! Great movie. Still blown away by the 100% though! So impressive. I'm rooting for great legs because people really should go see it. It's awesome! 

• Like 1

That's a terrific increase. It may not open as big as Split, but this is totally causing bigger shockwaves all over the movie world, it seems. WOM is truly out of this world for a genre film. It's STILL at 100% on the Tomatometer w/an 8.3/10 average out of 134 reviews. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FOUR. And counting. Audience score went from 82% to 8fucking8%. Split, the two Conjuring movies, and Don't Breathe, the biggest horror crowd pleasers in recent memory, didn't go past an 82% audience score, for comparision.

I still think that the March schedule is way too busy for Get Out to have the run it deserves. HOWEVER, I thought Split was going to drop brutally on the Lego/Shades/Wick weekend, and it didn't, and it hasn't yet. I don't think it's even dropping harshly this week w/Get Out's opening. If WOM is to be believed, Get Out will have a sub 50% drop even against Logan, its legs as a whole will be great... and in such case, 100M DOM is actually possible. I still think it'll do around 85-90M, but if it holds like a monster on Logan/Kong/BATB OW's, 100M is all but a lock.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

Get Out is the first horror film since The Conjuring that I've absolutely loved. Brilliant stuff. Glad to see it's doing well.

Still haven't seen Split tho @WrathOfHan

:kitschjob: 

27 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Damn, awesome # for Get Out. Split's OW/legs were awesome, but this has to be the BO story of the year so far.

Please.

Saturday jump for a horror film is almost unheard of no? 

yeah, I think this will hold well in Logan wake, which is really the only movie that has a crossover audience. Kong and BatB are no worries unless they cause massive theater/screen loss, which shouldn't happen this early and with this level of interest. 100M will happen off 30M opening. May not catch Split but nothing to sneeze about. It's a breakout for sure.

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

What would have been more surprising to you 6 months ago? Split making 40m OW, or Get Out making 30m OW? Both are great BO stories, but I know my answer.

Both ended up about 5M more than I expected for their OWs, so neither? :lol: I mean, I guess I'll say Split just because 40M OWs are so rare for horror films.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Both ended up about 5M more than I expected for their OWs, so neither? :lol: I mean, I guess I'll say Split just because 40M OWs are so rare for horror films.

6 months ago you would expect 35m and 25m for Split/Get Out respectively? Regardless, great for both. 30m is shocking to me, didn't expect much more than mid teens a week ago.

Edited by Jayhawk